Rappers wanting free beats

Because, they want to save what money they have. However, it is up to you as a producer to find a business model that works if you want to seriously make income. Sometimes contrary to what a lot of people believe the best way is not always signing with some major record label because even they have stipulations as to how a producer gets paid. You have to think who are the artist that you are workig with. Example (up andcoming rapper meets you) They figure oh wow he can help me out and I can get his name out there with a track. Now the same artist meets Just Blaze and really wants to work with him. Now because that artist understands there level of notariety is far different than just blaze they say, "If Only I had the money to pay him". Now that being said how do you get yourself out there to get that notariety, you network with people and promote yourself as a business (Production company, or whatever you do) instead of just thinking-->I want to sell beats, Think---> I'm promoting a business in which I sell beats. The question from here is how do I find customers, network, go where artists go, Seminars, Concerts, (Even if you aren't going after artists that are preforming, other artist's will be there.) Think of these things as business trips.
Next The Online market, You promote but do not do it in a way where you are obnoxiously Saying "Yo I HAVE BEATS FOR SALE FOR THE LOW". Ofcourse I'm not saying you do that i'm just giving an example. start convos with artists on the net and get to know them, you want to know them anyway afterall there could be a great connection with there music in yours. than direct them to your site, or wherever and if they feel the work and see that you are running a business, they will be more likely to buy from you.

Your best bet is to link up with an artist that you're really digging and build with them.

It's almost always been that way. Damn near all of he great producers have been linked with an artist or group then they branched out and worked with other folks.

Dr. Dre with The World Class Wreckin' Crew/NWA
DJ Premier with Gangstarr
RZA with Wu Tang
Etc..

Last edited:
There won't be many answers to this. Haha

The saddest part about this is that a lot of these people without the numbers are just as skilled as the rest. It just shows that people aren't so interested in music anymore (and I don't blame them). There is so much other entertainment available now that music is almost always last on the list.

EDIT: I have music available that has sold quite well both in physical copies and digital yet when I generate and distribute 100 free codes only 10 of them get used.

Last edited:
Why cant you do both? I work with artists I believe in and artists who just want a once time purchase. That only makes sense to me, get paid now and have some long term interests

WHAT backend royalties?

Albums don't sell like that no more.

From music licensing. I do not work with artists and I have never sold a beat to an artist. All of the money I have made from music has come from music licensing. I do not have the patience to try to build relationships with artists.

***** its drumianibeatz run with it or get ran over ***** facebook me soundclick me twitter me: Drumiani_beatz.. My band director told me i was a musical genius at age 13

Shut the hell up. I got told I was going to be a great scientist when I was little... I dropped it last year cause I was failing...

Back