Rappers VS. Film Actors:What are the differences?

Married Gunslinger

(Mod)Us Operandi
I've seen many discussions brought up as to why people support recording artist,Rick Ross. This is mainly due to him being exposed as being a former C.O,which he adamantly denied until forced to admit it when a photo was released. I've seen some say,"well it's all about the music" or "I don't watch Scarface expecting Pacino to be a blood thirsty cuban". I,myself, disgaree with this analogy,so let's break down the differences between an actor and rapper

-Rappers
Hip-hop came from the streets so it will always have to identify with people from there as well. Throughout the history of rap whenever a rapper was exposed,his career was virtually over. Somehow, we've escaped this and now rappers seem to get infinite passes. Rappers such as Little Wayne introducing,what I'd say is, open homosexuality, false claiming gang sets and rapping about "shooting first" when the only target he's ever hit was himself..by accident. The genre is/has always been about street credibilty. Back when Jeezy when at Nas for saying Hip-hop is dead,his first question was "Does Nas have any street cred?",not "What's hottest Nas song you heard?".

Rick Ross has been exposed by everyone from his own sibilings to rival rapper,50 Cent and still maintains a hot seat..why is this? I assume it's because the fan base has changed. White teens don't care to know whose doing what in reality and they are the only buyers of records.Street dudes aren't buying records and aren't supporting the street dudes that happen to rap,yet they kill while listening to these guys while getting amped up;irony.

We all remember what happened to Vanilla Ice when he got exposed...we'll get more into the fake rappers later. The bottom line is..rappers present their music as actual life events. We are told to believe every word they say.."On my life".."on my mama"..if you don't believe ask such n such". In fact many rappers have been killed or incarcerated for living out their music...Proof..Tupac...Camoflauge..Souljah Slim.. Lil Boosie and several others. So why when they are exposed it becomes "only music"?

-Actors

I've seen Training Day and it was good movie. However, I've never seen Denzel Washington give an interview claiming that he drew from himself to play Alonzo Harris,the corrupt cop villain of the film. I've never seen Joe Pesci claim to be a mafia shooter prior to acting. This medium of entertainment is served to us as fiction and when it's not it is specified with brands such as "inspired by", "based on a true story/the thoughts of/true events". We know from the jump that John Travolta isn't some lunatic taking over a train station or that Wesley Snipes is frolicing around with an orange mohawk disabling military trained officers with his bare hands.

Surely, you all can see the vast difference and flaw in correlating movies and rap music...

discuss

Rappers are actors who also Rap :)

BTW the notion that rappers can ONLY be those with street cred is also not true IMHO, unless you are talking about Gangsta Rap.

How, for example are you gonna call those rappers who did their thing BEFORE Gangsta Rap?

I don't think there is much to discuss, you covered everything lol

Woody Harrelson dad was a hitman. If hat counts for anything.

Rappers are actors who also Rap :)

BTW the notion that rappers can ONLY be those with street cred is also not true IMHO, unless you are talking about Gangsta Rap.

How, for example are you gonna call those rappers who did their thing BEFORE Gangsta Rap?

Well,of course I'm only referring to the criminal element in rap music. Even KRS said "listen to my 9mm go BANG!"..everybody turned on him for Nelly?

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I don't think there is much to discuss, you covered everything lol

Woody Harrelson dad was a hitman. If hat counts for anything.

Yeah,one of the three Kennedy shooters.

Actors get a script from another writer, in rap those people are called ghost writers. People who make up shit and have somebody act it out on film. We all know that so it's cool that actors be fake, they have the word "act" in their job title.

Rappers don't get to call themselves different names with every record release or we'd see something like "Hustlin' performed by William Roberts as Rick Ross" and then his next song would be "I got yo black ass in cuffs nigga performed by William Roberts as Officer Lockdown. This situtation causes a lot of confusion because we want the artists to be real but how much "real shit" can you rap about before you run out of topics. If I rapped some real shit about my day it would involve eating turkey and cheese sandwiches and drinking fruit juice so I think some blurring of the realness lines are in order to even make a song that's interesting... BUT being overall fake doesn't sit well with me. I would rather a rapper be the Will Smith, Young MC type and just rap about partying in ritzy clubs rather than having to watch the History channel and make up an entire life. So I don't think all of Kool G Raps lyrics were "real" or else he wouldn't be a free man walking the streets but I do think he did some "street" things and enough of them to get street cred.

... but times have changed. Most everything is allowed to fly because it takes more energy to try to snuff it out.

Do you think anybody believed KRS ONE when he said he didn't eat turkey, goat or ham and that pork is not on the fork? Lettuce doesn't get you up to around 280 or something.

Also, rappers will straddle the fence about the realness because just like actors - RnB artist have songwriters so when they sing about being heart broken... they probably have 3 groupies in the bed when their song is on the radio. So I think rap artist expect people to know what's a song verses something real. Like if they start dissing each other, some of the stuff they say might be real because somebody told them something about the other person but as far as them going to slap them when they see 'em - that's studio talk.

It's just a fake world. People even like to be fake on messageboards where it doesn't even matter monetarily. (kanye shrug)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's entertaiment nothing more nothing less and people are entertained why people take other peoples jobs so serious is beyond me

It's entertaiment nothing more nothing less and people are entertained why people take other peoples jobs so serious is beyond me

It's my job,too..I take it hella serious.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Jay Z's sister is a CO at rikers

In July 2010, rapper Rick Ross released a song titled, "B.M.F. (Blowin' Money Fast)". The song makes reference to Demetrius "Big Meech" Flenory as well as Larry Hoover, founder of the Chicago-based street gang the Gangster Disciples. Demetrius released a statement from prison saying that Ross, "Represented BMF to the fullest," and "the people (artists) have to accept it."

That's so not what he said. He said he didn't have a problem with the song,indicating indifference.

Also..Jay-Z's sister isn't Jay-Z and Jay-Z shot his brother.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say most rappers (at least the ones I've worked with) live the life they portray and Film actors are just that..actors.

On another note...Ice-T is now a cop and Ice Cube does kid shows...

The game def has changed.

Ice-T is an actor now..the reason he gets a pass is because he isn't still poppin that same ish he was when he was in the streets. Don't front on T..son's history is mad deep in the streets and real street cats ain't trying to stay there..Cube on the other hand came up in a middle class family..his only claim to thuggery was NWA,which I think when he was apart of them he was forced to adapt to his character and may have bust a few heads.

I can only hope the days of people fronting on wax are coming to an end soon. I know it will never fade out completely, but I honestly think people are tired of all that mess. People wanna hear real lyrics about real subjects again. Nobody wants to hear another song about the guns you say you own anymore. I mean, who besides teenage boys EVER wanted to hear that shit?

Last edited by a moderator:
@FTP

Dont get me twisted.

All I'm sayin is as you get older your focus in life can change.

@FTP

Dont get me twisted.

All I'm sayin is as you get older your focus in life can change.

Thumbs up!

Actors and rappers are basicly the same but with some diferences. Being an rap artist is someone's occupation. Someone that makes no money in rap has no occupation in rap. For a job, you must qualify. People you see either was qualified or were self employed in the rap occupation. So there are choices now.

A) do what qualifies you.
B) do things how you want.

A) is what a majority dream of. They want the cars, the crib, the models and shit. They move in the direction hip hop moves. They usually sound the same as what is popular. When rap is all about being Openly Gay......they will rap some openly gay shit becuase "they want the job". When there is a shitload of apps on the same gay shit as what was a hit, only the most outragously wideopeness of gay rappers get there chance. You rap about being gay....people think your gay even if you say it's only to sell records. Gays see you as a hero. People who are straight will look at you in disgust and talk bad about you. "I don't listen to rap because it's gay "BUT YOUR NOT GAY!!!" You did what you had to do, though to get that job. Some will suck dick to get a job. A 6 figure dick sucker who would suck another one for more. Now, A Gay rapper can be the same as the dope game rappers. These extremes are necessary because "OTHERS ARE AT AND PASSED THESE EXTREMES".

Of course to keep it real you can do B). The thing about B) is that alot of those rappers are no diferent than the A) list. They will rap gay shit, too, if necessary. But they don't have to.............OR DO THEY? No....they don't. BUT ALOT WILL!!

Hell, I'm tired of typing. The hell wrong with me. I was going somewhere with this but damn that! :rofl:

no go....overall it's just a negative message to the people. Big difference inbetween telling a story with you the 1st person perspective, and actually conveying yourself as that person.

I think it's great when people are brave enough to dive into aspects of life that might not neccesarily be there's to have experienced. It's actually neat seeing some of them work out. It goes as far as thinning the line inbetween different people and there daily troubles.

but when your playing a facade just to be accepted by people...that's not my idea of a good time. lol, that's...being fake...promotion of being fake in order to fit the groove.

rappers dont "always" do everything they rap about. even the "real" rappers exaggerate their shit sometimes.
i think every rapper has exaggerated their rhymes.
rappers are "exaggerated characters" of whomever they represent.
they spice of their rhymes to make it sound more interesting.
rappers are more or less "representatives" of real life people, and describe shit that occurs by the characters they portray, and make it sound believeable, although it may not always be true.

thats why idgaf about what a rapper/singer does besides their music.
they are entertainers.
there a plenty of rappers that probably do everything they rap about, but if their music is ass, idgaf.
im not gonna be like "ahhh yes, he actually raps everything he is living, imma listen to him, even though he wack as fucck"
if u happen to make good music and they are true, then good , but at the end of the day, i just wanna be entertained and hear good music.

Last edited:
I'll have to assume all of you are a bunch of frontin' ass mothafuckers if you think it's okay to represent a lifestyle that guys have lost their lives for representing. Rap fans are something else..stop supporting criminalistic rappers if you don't think they should be telling the truth. I'm not saying currently,but at least have some sort of ground to stand on in your rhymes.

If I get hurt because of some real ish I spit..I won't be mad because I know what I've been into and I chose to rap about it. If some idiot fan ever tries to G-Check me or expose me it won't go good for him. I don't consider myself a "Gangsta",but some "gangstas" do...word up.I haven't bust all of those shots and got all of these teeth marks on my knuckles just to listen to some fake nigga rap out what I've done..I consider it disrespect..that's just me.

Last edited:
Back