r&b...how many of you do it?

I mostly Produce r&b and pop music .... Too be a good r&b producer or overall music producer in all honesty. You have to know a good deal of Music theory .. or be able to play your ass off. Know song structures.. differences from AAA to ABAB. You have to know how to form a climb... bridge.. etc...

The Keisha Cole and Mary J Blige stuff is the real r&b ... real soulfoul.. everything is played out.. like back in the day.. thats how I try and mold my sound. I use live instruments, synths.. whateva.. i can .. and always keep up with the hot new r&b sound.

u can peep two of my r&b joints here
www.myspace.com/albdmusiconline

Last edited by a moderator:
DaNOC said:
Peace Wals, if you go to my site
www.soundclick.com/danoc you can hear how I go from HipHop to straight up RnB. Not take a HipHop beat and put a RnB singer over it. I do both.

On the real if you want to do RnB, yes study it, but.... It's a deep hearted feel and you just can't go in and make a quick RnB track and think it's done. There are different types of RnB, ballads, uptempo, midtempo etc. Also you should know chords real well and know how to at least play one instrument. For me it's the keyboard synth because on those you have guitars, pianos, horns etc and I know how to play all those on the synth. Plus my knowledge of effects on each instrument and panning and spacing, it gets real intricate. It's good to know how to place percussion and know those instruments and when they sound good in certain tracks. Learn how to make melodies, and arrange also that's a plus that can help a singer get bizzy. when you have a hot RnB track and it changes and help bring out things in the singer they never thought they had. Ultimately though it's a real feel for it, I never thought I would do it for one day I sat down and made a track and was amazed and from there I kept doing it, and I could feel the deepness in it from the heart, with HipHop it's more of a blend these hot sounds together to get your head bopping, but RnB is more of a soulful feel that each producer will have a different feel, of love , depression, happiness etc it will come out in that music.
Peace Ihope I helped you.

www.soundclick.com/danoc

yo noc, im really feelin the last one, RIDE, really smooth and laid back,
on the r&b side, this is my type of shyt

props!!

R&B is my main focus. That's what first got me into production really.

My advice is to simply listen to and study R&B songs, and as J-Traxx pointed out a few weeks ago, it's a good idea to listen to something you like and play along with it to get ideas, and pick up new techniques.

The one thing about R&B that I feel is absolutely crucial for a producer to know is vocal arrangement and vocal production techniques. Study melody, study harmonies and get a good idea in your head of what sounds good and what doesn't. Listen to some old Boyz II Men records or go to church, (yes I said CHURCH you heathen!!) and listen to the choir. There's nothing like a Gospel choir if you want to hear some harmonies.

Last edited:
TrakNyce said:
R&B is my main focus. That's what first got me into production really.

My advice is to simply listen to and study R&B songs, and as J-Traxx pointed out a few weeks ago, it's a good idea to listen to something you like and play along with it to get ideas, and pick up new techniques.

The one thing about R&B that I feel is absolutely crucial for a producer to know is vocal arrangement and vocal production techniques. Study melody, study harmonies and get a good idea in your head of what sounds good and what doesn't. Listen to some old Boyz II Men records or go to church, (yes I said CHURCH you heathen!!) and listen to the choir. There's nothing like a Gospel choir if you want to hear some harmonies.

Vocal production is so important.. it can make a medicore track .. sound hot

Wals Kronkite said:
good advice from both u guys. as far as the studio setting, I hope to be there at some point and I'm sure that'll help alot 2...far as listening, yeh, i been doing that; listening to alot of rodney jerkins productions, some aliyah, some r.kelly, and some the hits on the radio; basically a mix of the typa r&b i like as well as what is doing good. As far as working with the artist, what are some things you have learned in that production aspect of things etc? Keep it rolling.

the artist i was working with inspired me to do it. Like i met this chick that could sing and she like my beats, so that made me wanna make tracks just for her.

this thread depends on whether you mean producing a record, or composing music.

composing music (or making a beat if you wanna call it that) i would say the most important thing is to learn a bit of music theory... putting together intresting chords, 7ths, 13ths whatever... and scales, GOTTA LEARN YOUR SCALES!!

You can always hear the difference between a hip hop producer trying to make an RnB beat (Jermaine Dupri.. etc) and a musician (Mark Batson, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis).

Also, please please please, invest in a sustain pedal, or know how to fake one by stretching out your midi notes. Thats something that annoys me about the keys / piano / guitar parts on a lot of these soundclick "RnB" beats.

I'll leave vocal arrangement to someone else, i tend to let other people take care of that...

myspace.com/jaycee836

One.

Last edited:
Back