r&b...how many of you do it?

W

Wals Kronkite

How many of you produce r&b mainly? What are you rmethods and inspirations?

I'm tryna get more in2 it and just practicing at getting better at making r&b beats quick, but I'd like to hear more of teh experiences of others seeing as most every1 usually talks about hip hop in here despite it being that genre as well. Anyways, just drop some knowledge, etc. 1.

Yeah i want to do some R&B too. I made a few "starter" joints but imma get back into it. 1 tip though that helped me is the setting. ynamean like, the feeling of your studio before you get into and all that.

producingLC said:
Yeah i want to do some R&B too. I made a few "starter" joints but imma get back into it. 1 tip though that helped me is the setting. ynamean like, the feeling of your studio before you get into it and all that.

Just study the genre. What I'm still trying to master is Neo Soul. So I just listen to alot of Musiq, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, etc.

So wanna learn how to do rnb? Just listen to rnb music, and emulate it.

good advice from both u guys. as far as the studio setting, I hope to be there at some point and I'm sure that'll help alot 2...far as listening, yeh, i been doing that; listening to alot of rodney jerkins productions, some aliyah, some r.kelly, and some the hits on the radio; basically a mix of the typa r&b i like as well as what is doing good. As far as working with the artist, what are some things you have learned in that production aspect of things etc? Keep it rolling.

ye ai wanna do more rnb too....i can make an rnb "beat" i guess but i cant really produce a singer. thats wat i need to learn how to do

yeah we're working with some R&B artist right now. i can tell you it TOTALLY different from working with a rapper.

here's the thing. most rappers are confident even if the truly suck. most singers on the other hand, have extreme self doubt even if they're great singers.

you've really got to be in tune with how they're feeling, and if they're feeling the song.

another thing that is directly effected by confidence is their delivery. just because they have a voice or they can write a rhyme doesn't mean they can deliver on the mic. a lot of the girls you hear on the radio aren't the best singers, they just can deliver and they do so with confidence.

thats our experience.

check us http://www.myspace.com/somobe

im way into rnb. but not the neo-soul , more like the hip-hop beat with a vocalist in mind type. like dip it low,throwback (usher),i like those type of rnb songs.i do mostly from scratch, but sometimes ill throw in a sample

California said:
im way into rnb. but not the neo-soul , more like the hip-hop beat with a vocalist in mind type. like dip it low,throwback (usher),i like those type of rnb songs.i do mostly from scratch, but sometimes ill throw in a sample

yeh, like i said, i'm more in2 the timbo vibe and some of what rich harrison did for amerie...**** thats more upbeat, etc.

right now my local studio said they want me to work with an rmb artist.

im not sure which kinda style she is cos they never really told me lol. the owner likes at leaste 4 of the beats i gave him.
the singer had good range and a god voice but isnt on key all the time.

soon ill be going in on sessions and co producing and all that.

so on the producing tip i dont know BUT

when making beats u have to be more melodic, more chord structured, song more structured.

go in thinking WHAT kind of rnb ur gonna do...its not like rap where u can just **** around and see what happens u have to know what kinda rnb track u want to do. once u know that its really ez just fell around for chords and melodys and patterns and go from their

if u have a HARD time comming up with chords or melodys for rnb do the beat first. after that almost everything ull do will be cosher.

Peace Wals, if you go to my site
www.soundclick.com/danoc you can hear how I go from HipHop to straight up RnB. Not take a HipHop beat and put a RnB singer over it. I do both.

On the real if you want to do RnB, yes study it, but.... It's a deep hearted feel and you just can't go in and make a quick RnB track and think it's done. There are different types of RnB, ballads, uptempo, midtempo etc. Also you should know chords real well and know how to at least play one instrument. For me it's the keyboard synth because on those you have guitars, pianos, horns etc and I know how to play all those on the synth. Plus my knowledge of effects on each instrument and panning and spacing, it gets real intricate. It's good to know how to place percussion and know those instruments and when they sound good in certain tracks. Learn how to make melodies, and arrange also that's a plus that can help a singer get bizzy. when you have a hot RnB track and it changes and help bring out things in the singer they never thought they had. Ultimately though it's a real feel for it, I never thought I would do it for one day I sat down and made a track and was amazed and from there I kept doing it, and I could feel the deepness in it from the heart, with HipHop it's more of a blend these hot sounds together to get your head bopping, but RnB is more of a soulful feel that each producer will have a different feel, of love , depression, happiness etc it will come out in that music.
Peace Ihope I helped you.

www.soundclick.com/danoc

soul doubt you're makig some nice music! Especially that use of that vocal sample..very soulful.

Producing a r&b beat is one thing, but producing a artist is a whole another story. Basically, if you want to be a "good' producer, than it would in your best interest to know something about vocal techniques and music theory. It makes it alot easier to give direction if you as a producer know how the voice actually works and how to improve it.

everyone, good advice so far....noc yeh i've heard ur ****. i can tell you know them keys.

soul doubt, i'm glad you posted ur **** man cuz i ain't heard it b4. real nice mix of sounds and bass on those tracks. I know jaycee producin and writin some nice **** 2.

c-lovely, yeh good point; i'd really like to be able to understand that at some point so i'll prolly have 2 get in2 that...i wanna be able to write for artists in a way so they can understand the type of song i'm tryna convey so that'd prolly help alot. thanx 2 everyone who's posted...

Last edited by a moderator:
i make more rnb music, then i make rap music.....but then modern rnb is almost like slowed down rap, with rhodes and piano's, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
j-traxx said:

r&b not jazz

but anyways..
The state of r&b really needs to change right now..someone needs to not be afriad of being different..i mean all this keysha cole and mary j blige stuff thats on the radio right now is all the same..thats why i always like the r&b the timbaland and the neptunes would do cause it was different

Last edited:
Back