quick question about hip hop

G

Gorilla1

Hey I had a question can anyone tell me how many hip hop fans there are overall like 40 million or ect. I tried to look all over the internet and i couldnt find anything im hoping someone could help. it would be really appricated. I just need to know how many fans of hip hop there are or where i can find out and a source. thanks

That's impossible to know. You might be able to look at sales figures to get an idea of how much mainstream hip hop music is sold every year, concert tickets, etc, but I doubt that kind of info would give you any true representation of how many fans there are. It's WAY too subjective.

I dont think you can find that info for any genre of music, IMHO.

well how would i look at overall albums hip hop albums sold i just need some kinda figure that can give me a rough estimate of even how many people listen or buy it or anything thanks

You could try checking the billboard or bbc charts or something like that, but again, they only give you sales figures for records that make it onto the charts, which is really a tiny fraction of all the hip hop out there.

There might be a industry mag you could check with, to see if the sort of information you are looking for is available. Email the people at the Source or something.

http://www.thesource.com/main.htm

good luck.

If it helps, you're searching for marketing numbers. That's what that figure would be under.

The thing is that it's hard to really be able to tell. You have people that generally listen to a different genre but that also listen to rap here and there and purchase rap albums.

It gets pretty complicated past a certain point. You have places like Germany and Japan that have really big markets and are big fans of rap music and of course, the US also. Breaking down the US fanbase alone is hard because there are a lot of underground supporters that are not accounted for in Soundscan numbers. Japan and Germany are very big underground supporters also.

Gorilla1 said:
Hey I had a question can anyone tell me how many hip hop fans there are overall like 40 million or ect. I tried to look all over the internet and i couldnt find anything im hoping someone could help. it would be really appricated. I just need to know how many fans of hip hop there are or where i can find out and a source. thanks

You can't be serious

Gorilla1 said:

There is no way you could know that.

I just wanted to know really... I know theres no realistic way to find out but im sure there is some sort of number.... Im sure people dont just put out albums and say hmmm...well maybe america will just buy it cuz we made a rap album. they must be like heres a goal and heres where we stand thanks for you help though

they dont care. They only need to market the album right and its platinum. Look at young jeezy. He is just marketed right. They dont worry like i need 1 % or 5 % of al hip hop fans to buy my album. Thats not how it works.

So foolish, give me a source cause i want to make sure ir just not a random number.

Back