Producing vs. Solo ambition

Mkern_22

I've noticed that a lot of people's end goal is to sell beats to other people...but, don't hear much about people who don't simply wish to sell their stuff to other people for them to defile it.

So, who are you doing this for? and Why?

I am producing for myself. I am trying to make music that I want to listen to. I am also in the process of releasing a couple of things here and there. Ultimately, my plan is to give away music and sell records. Whatever the end result will be the result of my work or lack thereof. It is my intention to create a community of people who are interested in the sounds through interaction.

The process is tedious, but fulfilling. I have met a lot of people, been sent artwork and remixes, and it's a lot of fun experiencing everything. I make enough money to support myself n family doing live shows and working full-time (well, unemployment now). At the moment, that is sufficient. I aspire to more, of course, but it doesn't necessarily involve anyone but myself.

Not meant to criticize or challenge anyone - it just seems like producers can be artists that make money and do shows and all that without the help of anyone else. The biggest thing is that you are able to pursue your own creative agenda and become whatever it is you may become based on your own ideas.

i do some adlibs and some vocals....but i cant rap, have little flow and mumble at the best of times. but i wouldnt mind having a producer/mc or a group/band. main thing is stage shyness. dont think anybody would pay to watch me basicly.

being in a group i think would be the best way to get your name shown and show your production skills. while also being able to listen to a band. all the great producers did it that way. dilla with slum,no i.d. with common, pete rock with well himself and cl smooth,premo with gangstarr, 9th with little brother, hi-tek with the blackstar, dre with nwa etc.

Last edited:
I sell beats as on of the 50 jobs I have in music to pay bills. I also run a label for fun that I've spent the last decade failing to get off the ground.

Doing aiight with the "selling to others to defile" part tho.

Last edited:
I started producing to provide myself with instrumentals, so the main thing for me is to give my own songs the sound I want. I also sell a few beats here and there, but it's still some side-effect. Because of this, I always create instrumentals that I like, because my most important artist is me.

the longer i do this shyt, the clearer it becomes that it's best to just do your own thing regardless of what everybody else is doing around you.

friends will fall off...homies will go in different directions and not return favors...others will take advantage of all of the long hours and money you put into perfecting your craft and try to take credit for YOUR ideas...cats won't have the necessary work ethic to get from the level they are currently @, and to the next level...others have egos and won't listen to the advice that you try to give them.

with all that being said, FOCUS ON YOURSELF.

don't "learn late" and focus on other people first...regardless of how talented they may be.

if the people that you are working w/ are not putting in as much time, effort & sacrifices as you are, GET RID OF THEM...or, don't take them "seriously" until they start taking themselves seriously.

too many artists want SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.

I've noticed that a lot of people's end goal is to sell beats to other people...but, don't hear much about people who don't simply wish to sell their stuff to other people for them to defile it.

i'm one of the people that don't wish to sell my beats to others.

i think that a lot of producers sell beats because they can't rap...or they don't THINK they can rap / haven't cultivated that skill.

@ the end of the day, i think people sell beats and don't rock on their own shyt for two reasons:

1 - they think they will make more money by selling beats as opposed to selling albums featuring them as the main artist AND producer

2 - as stated above, they don't believe in their ability to rock the mic

I am producing for myself.

I am trying to make music that I want to listen to.

Whatever the end result will be the result of my work or lack thereof.

It is my intention to create a community of people who are interested in the sounds through interaction.

it just seems like producers can be artists that make money and do shows and all that without the help of anyone else. The biggest thing is that you are able to pursue your own creative agenda and become whatever it is you may become based on your own ideas.

you're on the right track man.

i'm on the same page as you.
:cheers:

the longer i do this shyt, the clearer it becomes that it's best to just do your own thing regardless of what everybody else is doing around you.

friends will fall off...homies will go in different directions and not return favors...others will take advantage of all of the long hours and money you put into perfecting your craft and try to take credit for YOUR ideas...cats won't have the necessary work ethic to get from the level they are currently @, and to the next level...others have egos and won't listen to the advice that you try to give them.

with all that being said, FOCUS ON YOURSELF.

don't "learn late" and focus on other people first...regardless of how talented they may be.

if the people that you are working w/ are not putting in as much time, effort & sacrifices as you are, GET RID OF THEM...or, don't take them "seriously" until they start taking themselves seriously.

too many artists want SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.

that should be the future producer gospel or something. im twenty-two and just learning that. i've always wanted to collaborate and work with someone. to be that team, but different people have different concepts of team.

it's better we learn and recognize that now, then learn late like you said. i just recently had to deal with some stuff that made me actually pick up the mic for some of those reasons.

i just recently had to deal with some stuff that made me actually pick up the mic for some of those reasons.

word.

cover the spectrum man...beats AND rhymes.

don't let other people slow you down or distract you.

Transparent-Rapper-With-Mic-psd8790.png

:cheers:

Just don't confuse your goals.

You may think you're "doing yourself" and end up "f**king yourself" in the process.

Everyone needs a team behind what they do to run like a well oiled machine. That's not saying surround yourself with rappers who are out for themselves, but you may want to find others that are focused on the same goal as you and will put effort to acheiving siad targeted goal with you.

Aspiring rappers make horrible street team promoters, because while they're handing out your flyer, they're wishing it was there face on it. Doesn't mean there's not guys out there who live just to hand out your flyers and help you excel.

Back