#ProducersUnite

MuhalXtra1387

I don't know if everyone is already hip, but flying lotus got on twitter and just started airing out rappers. For not paying on time and for just having this mentality that producers owe them favors. Then J.U.S.T.I.C.E League added on to the conversation a bit and gave their perspective. I really believe as producers we need to start uniting for a change against rappers because I'm tired hearing dope ass producers getting walked on by rappers. Part of the reason is we don't know our value, so we are so damn willing to just give out shit for free.The bottom line is we gotta start coming together because rappers are only getting wacker while we're getting better lol but they're getting richer while we're getting broker!

this is the link to the twitter conversation

https://twitter.com/JusticeLeague/status/743556997598027776

I find it shocking producers don't know their own value when 808 Mafia's void would prevent so many rappers from getting on. When I look at a new artist we look at the (prod.) more than anything. It's a producers league now. Rappers aren't needed. How when you can record something better than what they laid down?

Honestly besides 808 mafia, metro boomin, and a few other atlanta producers, not many producers are in the spotlight like that. I do agree with you it is a producer league now , the beat is literally the only thing that keeps people entertained now a days, but I think as producers we get so caught up in the potential fame or recognition that we forget that we still gotta get paid.

When you have so many producers stealing pirated software to make their beats and spend no time studying music production other than what they hear on the radio it's easy for them to just give away free beats...where's the value?

When you have to work hard, train and study and put forth effort to create a quality product, then you don't want to give it away for free. I blame these bootleg trap and EDM producers.

I disagree with that mainly because there is a surplus of producers and that's one of the biggest reasons people give beats away for free. Before when producing was a path followed by DJing, dudes would have the leverage of you can't find another person to give you this beat for cheaper. But when you got dudes on Soundclick making quality beats and selling them for $10 you have to rethink the process. Giving beats away for free is a strategy within itself if you know WHO to give them to. You can't just float it to any clown who has no drive and only wants to record music to feed their ego, which is now 99% of the game. If there's an artist and you have confidence in their sound then you float them that free beat. You have to remember this is still art and it makes no sense to hold on to a beat for years as sounds change with taste because you wanted to get paid. Same time remember you'll make other sounds. Unless you make 10 beats for the year then yea sell them to the highest bidder if you have that clout. But for me I think about it as an artist who wants to show my soul to others. At the same time it's not stealing pirated software if it is on the internet available to download. Plus how do you think any producer got on?

Also your point about studying music production vs. listening to the radio is contradictory because some of the best production gets on the radio. Music is fluid. It's waves so it doesn't matter what route you go what matters is you go and keep going.

Assigning blame isn't going to push you to the next level. If anything you should be confident in your knowledge that these 'bootleg' producers pose no threat to you. I downloaded Ableton illegally, and learned how to use it. I then sacrificed it to speed up my computer and have now been using the trial program everyday to get the most out of it. To each his own really. Everyone has their own path.

I love this thread. But let me say this. I feel like as a producer, I strategically send out beats to people who are clearly buzzing, who have reach and a following. Now if Billy from Kansas asks for free beats and says "I'm just setting up my soundcloud now" then no, he can't have them for free and like FlyLo was tweeting, this isn't a game of favours. You can't hear one track from Billy, think he's talented and bet all in on him because he "can flow".

And to the point about learning from the radio, I think that's a cop out blaming your lack of sales on the $10 producers. They ain't stopping you. Make your sound so great people will see why their beat is $10 and yours is $50

I disagree with that mainly because there is a surplus of producers and that's one of the biggest reasons people give beats away for free.

...and how do you think there became a surplus of producers? When I was coming up you had to save up for the equipment and actually put in the work.

At the same time it's not stealing pirated software if it is on the internet available to download. Plus how do you think any producer got on?

Huh? I'm confused...so every producer that got on stole "free" software from torrent sites?

Also your point about studying music production vs. listening to the radio is contradictory because some of the best production gets on the radio.

I respectfully, and completely, disagree. It's like when I was 12 and tried to tell my parents that RZA was a better producer than Quincy Jones *sarcasm*

I downloaded Ableton illegally, and learned how to use it. I then sacrificed it to speed up my computer and have now been using the trial program everyday to get the most out of it.

If you can't respect the programmers and producers who put their hard work and knowledge into creating Ableton, then you really have no understanding of my post earlier.

You put a PianoRoll Producer in a room with a classical piano player and see how gets the gig...respect your craft or else what are you really here for?

Last edited:
...and how do you think there became a surplus of producers? When I was coming up you had to save up for the equipment and actually put in the work.

All things change with time. It is now harder than ever to carve out a shining niche in all of the artistic platforms not just music. And your version of 'putting in work' is completely different than now. I interned for a guy who owned a recording studio and he put in the work and came up thru interning at studios for no money and what did he have to show for it? His studio closed. Yes you are right it's because there's more access but you know what people also have more access to? Basketballs. I don't see a bunch of Lebron's and Kobe's running around do you?

Huh? I'm confused...so every producer that got on stole "free" software from torrent sites?

No but how do you think kids out of the hood came up? You think they had 300-600 to spend on a DAW? Or access to it from a friends studio? They went on Pirate Bay or UTorrent and downloaded that shit. I don't think it's even relevant anyway considering you still have to know how to use the program. And hell yea it's free. Everything in this worlds free to be taken. We just don't take it because we created a civilization where it is reprehensible and consequential to do so. In the internets case? If you tell me I have to pay $600 for a program that I can download for free, what do you think I'm going to do?

Shit I mean peep this article Avicii, Martin Garrix, and Others Have Used Pirated Software | Your EDM and those are dudes that are up there.

I think it's apart of the evolution of a producer in this era to start with pirated software because you are not that committed to making music and initially it starts off as a hobby then it later becomes a profession then you buy the program. If you keep downloading it illegally when you have the resources to do so then it becomes an issue. But at the same time I don't care too much for applying a code of ethics to downloading software.

I respectfully, and completely, disagree. It's like when I was 12 and tried to tell my parents that RZA was a better producer than Quincy Jones *sarcasm*

Well you failed by comparing artists. Simple as that. Nobody is better than in the world of art. I don't know about you but I don't make music to be better than anyone else. Also I'd love to hear why you disagree because I don't even listen to the radio but I know that wherever there is information, there is something to extract. It's matter of perspective. I don't know about your stance but I just don't place too much emphasis on unwritten rules because you fix yourself in.

If you can't respect the programmers and producers who put their hard work and knowledge into creating Ableton, then you really have no understanding of my post earlier.

That's emotion and semantics.I said I DOWNLOADED it(past tense). I have access to it again illegally but choose not to because I'd rather just buy it outright but do I regret downloading it illegally? Hell no! I had no clue what I was going to do with Ableton because I downloaded it after getting Reason. Plus dude you ended the post placing blame in a thread titled #ProducersUnite. That's enough to understand. Everyone puts time in effort into something great. A dude can makes a great hero at a deli. He put hard work and knowledge in that hero but do you respect him as much as the guys who made Ableton?
Most likely not. And clearly you don't respect the young producers coming up because they didn't do it the way you did which is understandable but also a sign of being out of touch with the generation at large. You saying "I blame" exposes that and placing blame on these dudes out here won't stop them from going in day after day on Youtube looking up who to get that kick right. It's not stopping me. And if it stops you then that's you but know that you'll just go extinct from not adapting. No beef but I'm just being real with you.

All things change with time. It is now harder than ever to carve out a shining niche in all of the artistic platforms not just music. And your version of 'putting in work' is completely different than now. I interned for a guy who owned a recording studio and he put in the work and came up thru interning at studios for no money and what did he have to show for it? His studio closed. Yes you are right it's because there's more access but you know what people also have more access to? Basketballs. I don't see a bunch of Lebron's and Kobe's running around do you?

No but how do you think kids out of the hood came up? You think they had 300-600 to spend on a DAW? Or access to it from a friends studio? They went on Pirate Bay or UTorrent and downloaded that shit. I don't think it's even relevant anyway considering you still have to know how to use the program. And hell yea it's free. Everything in this worlds free to be taken. We just don't take it because we created a civilization where it is reprehensible and consequential to do so. In the internets case? If you tell me I have to pay $600 for a program that I can download for free, what do you think I'm going to do?

Shit I mean peep this article Avicii, Martin Garrix, and Others Have Used Pirated Software | Your EDM and those are dudes that are up there.

I think it's apart of the evolution of a producer in this era to start with pirated software because you are not that committed to making music and initially it starts off as a hobby then it later becomes a profession then you buy the program. If you keep downloading it illegally when you have the resources to do so then it becomes an issue. But at the same time I don't care too much for applying a code of ethics to downloading software.

Well you failed by comparing artists. Simple as that. Nobody is better than in the world of art. I don't know about you but I don't make music to be better than anyone else. Also I'd love to hear why you disagree because I don't even listen to the radio but I know that wherever there is information, there is something to extract. It's matter of perspective. I don't know about your stance but I just don't place too much emphasis on unwritten rules because you fix yourself in.

That's emotion and semantics.I said I DOWNLOADED it(past tense). I have access to it again illegally but choose not to because I'd rather just buy it outright but do I regret downloading it illegally? Hell no! I had no clue what I was going to do with Ableton because I downloaded it after getting Reason. Plus dude you ended the post placing blame in a thread titled #ProducersUnite. That's enough to understand. Everyone puts time in effort into something great. A dude can makes a great hero at a deli. He put hard work and knowledge in that hero but do you respect him as much as the guys who made Ableton?
Most likely not. And clearly you don't respect the young producers coming up because they didn't do it the way you did which is understandable but also a sign of being out of touch with the generation at large. You saying "I blame" exposes that and placing blame on these dudes out here won't stop them from going in day after day on Youtube looking up who to get that kick right. It's not stopping me. And if it stops you then that's you but know that you'll just go extinct from not adapting. No beef but I'm just being real with you.

I will respectfully disagree with pretty much everything you said, but appreciate your opinion. :cheers:

I think the most annoying aspect of today's producers as far as rap goes, is that they have no real loyalty when it comes to artists. I've dealt with many producers who don't believe in building a relationship between Artist and producer. In their head all rappers are the same and it's more quantity over quality where I have a more authentic approach to music. Today's producers all either make trap beats or have that "OVO Sound". When I listen to songs by these pop artists and they have actual instruments and chords i'm jealous because the producers in rap have almost no musical background. They simply "make beats". Make no mistake. In my eyes, the artist is more important than the producer. Yeah, metro & 808 mafia etc have broken a lot of artists, but it took hits from waka flocka etc brought them spotlight. The same can be said with 40 & Drake, a Bad song over a good instrumental is a bad song. But if you take OG Maco's "U guessed it", with the most rudimentary beat ever, it's a hit and as a result the producer got buzz. It's an intertwined relationship, but there isn't a hit song out without words, and that's the truth of the matter. If producers want to be valued then produce works of art worth being valued. You want respect when you do literally NOTHING different from the 1000's of producers in Atlanta. Develop a sound, perfect it, and get with a talented artist. That's how Dre,Timbaland,Pharrell,Diddy etc got their respect. All love.

Producers lay a foundation for which rappers tell their story. both are important, but nowadays, rappers dont tell stories its all turnup shit. Thats why I think producers are more valuable than the rappers

Producers lay a foundation for which rappers tell their story. both are important, but nowadays, rappers dont tell stories its all turnup shit. Thats why I think producers are more valuable than the rappers

I understand that, But what I'm saying is producers and rappers alike have no individuality, They're either Children of 808 mafia or they go for OVO type instrumentals. The difference is that A Catchy hook is all it takes to make a rapper hot and by proximity that producer.

Back