Which producers are best on the piano keys?

Alabaster said:
Im pretty sure Jon Brion can play about any instrument well, especially keys.
SomOne said:
still sleeping on Jon Brian huh? l
read the thread before you make statements like that *cough* dumbass *cough*

anyway, i think Soulja Boy is a beast on the keys. the melodies on his songs really speak to me in a deep and complex way.

wan-tan-soup14 said:
I heard he has his cousin come in and finish melodies that he can;t always get.

He definitely has an ear for music tho

oh, and while we're on the subject of good piano players, let's give it up for Herbie Hancock...the guy learned it later in life, and plays some weird ****ing chords. This is why if you ever listen to El Toro it sounds random as hell, bt it still works.

Herbie Hancock learning the piano later in life? I never heard that - the earliest I stuff I heard of his was Miles Davis from the late 60s, but he couldn't have been very old back then. The man is very good on the keys.

When it comes to actual hiphop or R&B producers, I'd have to go with:

Scott Storch
J.R. Rotem (got to respect the conservatory training - I'm going that route for an advanced degree in piano performance)
Underdogs (don't know them too well, but I like what I hear)
Jon Brion (pretty good on the keys - I'd rate him higher though for being a general multi-instrumentalist though)
Teddy Riley

That's probably it from what I heard of modern producers' abilities on the keys. I've never seen Dre play the keys, however, I'm really not sure how good he'd be on them, since he's notorious for having session musicians - especially keyboardists come in and record. I guess I got a different opinion about what makes a good keyboardist (since I been studying piano for over 16 years now, although it's been classical). To me, a good musician on a certain instrument is one who not only can play back what they are told to play (regardless of whether it is by sheet music or ear) but can also improvise well whenever that's needed to get the job done.

b cox is a beast. i was in love wit that Danity Kane song.

bR1 said:
I don't know about storch since I never really heard him "play" keys but somebody who is definatly ILL on the keys is D'Angelo!!! Go listen to Brown Sugar!

BR1,I keep hearing a alot of people keep saying that he's trained to play the piano. I heard him play his own melody on a reality show that showed the behind scenes of Paris Hilton's album. He also played something on My Block on MTV.

Idk if i should put this here, but a fave for me is Nan2, nevermind the spanish if you don't kno it. Listen to how he plays. He's called "El Maestro De Las Melodias"(The Master of the Melodies) for a reason.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RGsZH0Xbtd4

Last edited by a moderator:
Herbie hancock been playing all his life.. he started when he was young. He was a prodigy as a child.. ahead of his time, he played concert halls.. etc.

Now B.cox is sick, he went to the Houston school of performing arts here in houston.. with the likes of great jazz pianst Robert Glasper, and beyonce.. plus he played in the church over at Blue run.. so he has a great ear.

Now I sat in a session with mannie fresh over at studio 7303 (houston, tx) three weeks ago, he could play a lil. But he couldn't hold his on against me, but dude is mad talented.

Alb-D said:
Herbie hancock been playing all his life.. he started when he was young. He was a prodigy as a child.. ahead of his time, he played concert halls.. etc.

Now B.cox is sick, he went to the Houston school of performing arts here in houston.. with the likes of great jazz pianst Robert Glasper, and beyonce.. plus he played in the church over at Blue run.. so he has a great ear.

Now I sat in a session with mannie fresh over at studio 7303 (houston, tx) three weeks ago, he could play a lil. But he couldn't hold his on against me, but dude is mad talented.

I guess you know a little something about the piano;) ! It's good to see other pianists/keyboardists on here. I'm actually classically trained, but I been teaching myself jazz over the past 6-7 years (16+ years of classical training though). I didn't know B.Cox went to Houston School of Performing Arts, but if he did, he obviously knows what he's doing. I actually wanted to go to Rice for a Master's degree in piano performance, but my grades weren't good enough (haha). From what I heard, Mannie Fresh would hire musicians from around the New Orleans area to play on his tracks. Doesn't really matter though - I'm a huge fan of his music. That man is one of the alltime greats when it comes to hiphop production.

jadillac1181 said:
ya'll arent reading the thread title. I've seen him play, theres people named in this thread that would play Chad under the table.

what does that even mean?

ianscott111 said:
I guess you know a little something about the piano;) ! It's good to see other pianists/keyboardists on here. I'm actually classically trained, but I been teaching myself jazz over the past 6-7 years (16+ years of classical training though). I didn't know B.Cox went to Houston School of Performing Arts, but if he did, he obviously knows what he's doing. I actually wanted to go to Rice for a Master's degree in piano performance, but my grades weren't good enough (haha). From what I heard, Mannie Fresh would hire musicians from around the New Orleans area to play on his tracks. Doesn't really matter though - I'm a huge fan of his music. That man is one of the alltime greats when it comes to hiphop production.

Yeah he does, he brings in bassist, guitar, keys .. etc.. he's cool enough to let me sit in on some of his sessions..

I havent been lucky enough yet to play on some of his music.. but if I hang around more.. i'll probably get a chance.

I'm a classical trained pianst also .. I'm a (music major) but I learned by ear also (church).. this helps me when improvising.. all classical teaches you is correct techNIQUE.. and technique is important when you want to be able to play something difficult. But to any pianst the best way to acheive something is to go and figure it on your own. Ever body develops there own way of playing. Nobody really has the same technique. I might be able to run thru the scale of Bb with a certain hand position, that might be uncomrtable for you. And also take things slowly, everybody who plays fast don't always sound good. REAL TALK

havok... said:
what does that even mean?

Something lurid and profane, young child...You arent ready for the world of groupies yet. Just remember to keep your actions as pure as your aspirations as you rise to the top.

puffedoutproductions said:
Something lurid and profane, young child...You arent ready for the world of groupies yet. Just remember to keep your actions as pure as your aspirations as you rise to the top.

lmao. when u put it like that, i get it. but was that he was tryna say?

Back