producer logic

S

Spektor

As a producerHow do u know when ur working with an unknown upcoming artist if its worth ur time to develop them...and produce for them....the artist I'm workimg with mnth after mnth says he doesn't have funds to record the album...and is wanting me to shop around for studios who will do it for basically free recording sessions. I believe in the artist but its taking a long process to finish a complete work...thus his album. I basically presented him with free material took out my time to produce each piece of music...and only a few songs have been recorded. Shoulf I be patient??

if you dont have the ear or eye for talent then youre in the wrong field honestly. You should be able to easily weasel out who is for real and who isnt in this music shit, its not hard

If your pushing someone hard to invest in themselves and they won't, it either means they lack confidence in their craft or aren't taking it seriously.
There's millions of decent rappers out there who are all "yeah I'm all about my music hustle, I live and for it". Wasting your time and skills on someone like this is generally not work it.

The ones with the skills to carry through and also the determination to get themselves out there in this beast of a game, they are the diamonds in the rough you should be looking for.

Honestly though getting a mic and a pre-amp would solve your problem as it would let you seperate the wheat from the chaff, because if you have engineering skills you can make a promo tape of professional quality.

Its a lot to break an artist. Most producers say "if he doesnt pay, he must not be serious about it" but not every artists can afford what more established local artists can. Studio time is expensive, can he afford it to constantly record songs? The question that needs to be asked is how much is the producer willing to put into breaking the artist. Now if youre putting money and time and the artist isnt pulling their weight, then you need to move on.
Also dont put all of your eggs in one basket. Try to have 2 or 3 main artists you work with.

I had a lot to say and then saw this....
if you dont have the ear or eye for talent then youre in the wrong field honestly.

First, let me say I have no idea why anyone would go to the internet with this kind of question. You don't know ANYBODY that's familiar with your situation or knows your artist?
Really? But since it's all about community.....

As a producerHow do u know when ur working with an unknown upcoming artist if its worth ur time to develop them...and produce for them....
The output that WE create has to have some kind of value/merit/worth to me. Is it FUN? Is it going to make me MONEY? Do I need the EXPERIENCE?
How likely will I get any kind of return (from the points above) on my investment?

the artist I'm workimg with mnth after mnth says he doesn't have funds to record the album...and is wanting me to shop around for studios who will do it for basically free recording sessions.
What?
Are you a producer?
Are you making beats for free and then trying to get him free studio time to record over them?
Why aint you recording his vocals?
"basically free" means what? 'For cheap' means the best price - free is a can of worms that needs further explaining.

I believe in the artist but its taking a long process to finish a complete work...thus his album.
Why are you doing an album? You should be doing strong singles to display his song writing/recording/creative TALENT. And more so, his ability to garner interest and show true potential. AFTER he shows he can crank out tight individual songs, then you work towards EP and only after he has some business gains do you worry about an album's worth of songs....the songs that don't make the album become the free 'mixtape' sampler.

At any rate, those powerful singles would be his calling card and help decide if anyone cares about y'alls music.

I basically presented him with free material took out my time to produce each piece of music...and only a few songs have been recorded. Shoulf I be patient??

I never know if you're serious.
Who the hell can answer questions like these with zero information.....without.....

1. Hearing what you two make.....
2. Understanding why he's broke....(is it permanent or temporary?)
3. His monetary intentions about him having money and him paying you for your services (NOW and eventually)
4. His natural talent level. He any good?
5. His work ethic (which already is in question)
6. His long-term plans. How many songs/albums? How many years trying to break through? As in: What if you don't BLOW in 1 year? lolz
7. His situation with home and family (is he stable?)
8. Demeanor. Do you trust him? Does he trust you? Is paperwork an option? Why not? Even short term....
9. Criticism. Does he have it all figured out? Do either of you think you're perfect as is? Are you will to change/grow/compromise to move forward?
10. Your other options. What will you be doing other than working with him?
11. Your ability to INFLUENCE him. Both a question of whether or not YOU are wasting his time. (Having gear doesn't mean you're HIS best/only choice either) And can you change or adapt to the things that are a problem now?

Point blank and period, if the artist moves you and actually make you want to be better (inspire you) then i would definitely put time into the project. Not everyone start out as "The Producer" that knows everything, you
have to grow and start from somewhere. And the only way to get better is to just do it.

I remember my days starting out and my songwriter for the past 6 years still inspires me to this day. We started recording on
cassette tapes with the mic hanging over the ceiling fan in my bedroom hahaha. And he helped me grow into the producer i am today.

Find artist/songwriters that make you want to step out of the box.
It's one thing to just do a project, but it's another when you want to be better than you are and take that artist,and yourself, to the next level.
You don't need an artist to make you feel that, but it does help in choosing the right ones. And that's how i figure out if an artist is worth me developing,
if they make me feel like i need to be developed.

Last edited:
As a producerHow do u know when ur working with an unknown upcoming artist if its worth ur time to develop them...and produce for them....the artist I'm workimg with mnth after mnth says he doesn't have funds to record the album...and is wanting me to shop around for studios who will do it for basically free recording sessions. I believe in the artist but its taking a long process to finish a complete work...thus his album. I basically presented him with free material took out my time to produce each piece of music...and only a few songs have been recorded. Shoulf I be patient??

How did you PRODUCE each piece of music if you haven't recorded the songs yet? PRODUCING happens during the RECORDING phase.

And if you believe in him that much, fund the project, and recoup your money off shows/sales.

Basically...SIGN HIM.

These r the songs we have so far..his name is Mill Majah 404 Not Found

---------- Post added at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 AM ----------

this is the link to the music mrsuber1986's channel - YouTube

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Or u. Can type is mill majah on youtube and search for these songs I produced "love screamz" "mill majah - no jobs" or mill majah valentine..

**** him. Tell him to rob a bank and get wit da money mang.

Back