Is it possible to get signed, without a fanbase?

TzToppDogg

Now, I know that its not just everybody who can do this, but there are a very few hot rappers who never had a huge fanbase, or never had a real live peformance, but somehowe got to meet a CEO, to hand them their demo/mixtape and sounded so good that they would get a record deal.

Is it possible to do this to this day or is it a "must" to grow you own fabase first?

you gotta go get it

start
work
profit

real ni99as move through all walls, as Pac said, you just gotta put your mind to it and do it

questions is for dudes who lack believe

look at chief keef yellin ''these ******* love sosa'' he a go getter, a fool but a go getter, you need to go get it, questions slow you down

notice how i ain't been on dat often ? ni99az is makin moves

Last edited:
I guess you can. Getting signed may be the factor that will help you build your fan base. But then again, it's probably unlikely that you'll be found without a fanbase...

i know a few guys that were dope and had labels hear their shit, but the labels said get more fans, or more youtube video views, and then call em back.

fanbase >>>> being signed though.

so being signed, while simultaneously having a fanbase is even greater.
also, labels dont wanna have to do all the work of getting you known. its too much of a gamble.
if you hot, you should be able to get a fanbase on your own, with todays technology and outlets.
that way, when they sign you, they know for sure you already hot, and got fans, and can sell so they can get dat money.

Harder in today's industry I'm sure, but there was a time when that was USUALLY exactly how it went. Someone found a talent, took them to an exac or A&R to audition, and a contract was offered.

More times than not, that talent wasn't known outside of a highschool auditorium or demo tape sent to a few labels.

Last edited:
Only person I can think of at the moment who did is Big Sean...but he did have somewhat of a local buzz...

Its definitely possible. The key to getting signed that way is having mutual friends who can vouch for you before you walk in the door and a business that has room for an undeveloped artist. J.Cole, I would say had a similar story. Maybe he had a huge fan base in NY or NC but no one in Texas or down south this way really heard of him til news hit that he was the first artist signed to Roc Nation.

The question though is do you really want to get signed that way? First off, you have no leverage in contract negotiations since no one has a bidding war for you and since you can't eat off tour money til the money looks right. Walking looks real hard when you see all those zeros.

Also you tend to lose creative control, as well. Because you can't tell the label hey I know what I'm doing look at all my fans who love me for who I am now. I think there was an interview where J.Cole handed in his first version of the album and Jay-Z threw it away. Now if there is anyone you want judging your album its Jay. But its not like every label has an 10X platinum, Hundred Millionaire, Icon that transcends music as an executive that has time to listen to your whole non-released album. Alot of these suits follow trends and don't know music more then the artists on there label and yet there the ones that will throw away your first album.

Three they make your image for you. If you depend on the label marketing you then they will market you in the least confrontational way possible. And you'll look like the boy scout of hip hop so that you can appeal to soccer moms and junior high kids.

fourth your dependent on your label for album sales. Look at artist who have huge creative influence and completely control the marketing of an album and look at artists who built there own lane then signed or released later. Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar comes to mind. Both these artists are on there way to GOLD and they weren't complaining that the label wasn't promoting there singles enough or that they didnt ship enough albums.....

Yeah but ugh.... It RARELY happens and when it does it RARELY turns out well.... The only modern rappers that I can think of that had some success without having a buzz where J. Cole, and DaBomb already explained that, and Big Sean. You know, lemme reframe my answer, yes you can get signed with little to no buzz. It happens more frequently on some smaller indie labels and RARELY on bigger indies and majors but any way you slice it, without havin' an established fan base its rarely good. My pops has been in the industry for over 20 yrs and he was tellin' me stories about cats that got signed without havin' a buzz only to B shelved because labels were scared that they could potentially B a threat to artists they already signed if they DID build a buzz. I'd question the motives of a label that would sign someone who has no buzz cus at the end of the day this is business, they're in it for the money and if you have little to no buzz, you haven't proved that you can make them any, atleast in album sales and touring, which is big

Last edited:
Its definitely possible. The key to getting signed that way is having mutual friends who can vouch for you before you walk in the door and a business that has room for an undeveloped artist. J.Cole, I would say had a similar story. Maybe he had a huge fan base in NY or NC but no one in Texas or down south this way really heard of him til news hit that he was the first artist signed to Roc Nation.

The question though is do you really want to get signed that way? First off, you have no leverage in contract negotiations since no one has a bidding war for you and since you can't eat off tour money til the money looks right. Walking looks real hard when you see all those zeros.

Also you tend to lose creative control, as well. Because you can't tell the label hey I know what I'm doing look at all my fans who love me for who I am now. I think there was an interview where J.Cole handed in his first version of the album and Jay-Z threw it away. Now if there is anyone you want judging your album its Jay. But its not like every label has an 10X platinum, Hundred Millionaire, Icon that transcends music as an executive that has time to listen to your whole non-released album. Alot of these suits follow trends and don't know music more then the artists on there label and yet there the ones that will throw away your first album.

Three they make your image for you. If you depend on the label marketing you then they will market you in the least confrontational way possible. And you'll look like the boy scout of hip hop so that you can appeal to soccer moms and junior high kids.

fourth your dependent on your label for album sales. Look at artist who have huge creative influence and completely control the marketing of an album and look at artists who built there own lane then signed or released later. Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar comes to mind. Both these artists are on there way to GOLD and they weren't complaining that the label wasn't promoting there singles enough or that they didnt ship enough albums.....

Nice post. And yes artists that do not have a following are signed to record companies all the time but as a few in this thread alluded to you're basically coming to the table with zero leverage and your chances of being shelved then eventually dropped increases dramatically

Last edited:
It is possible, but you will be thrown in artist development and most likely shelved. Fanbase's buzz is what get your name moving. It give you opportunity and voice. Much needed in this day of industry.

LikedeRaNged said, that's how I recall (not that I was alive before 92'), but from the best of my knowledge labels would sign unknown artists with the hopes of making them superstars. Now it's different you need a fanbase prior. It's just like trying to get an investment on Shark Tank; you need credentials prior (sales, branding exposure, etc).

However correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Lana Del Ray get signed like that? I couldn't be wrong.

I think it's like asking can you buy a house, throw up some quick landscaping and do a few repairs and sell it for 2x what you bought it for?

Once upon a time, lol.

these days it's almost a total neccessity, labels want to see there's a market and that you know how to promote yourself

You'd really have to show yourself as someone completely different. Something that sets you apart from the others that is accepted. That goes for any type of music. But for example look at the rappers that have come up that no one expected: odd future, Danny brown, hopspin, Mac miller, MGK, t mills, etc. those are just some examples that came to mind but a couple years ago those type of rappers were not in the game and unheard of

Back