To Pimp A Butterfly is a "REAL ALBUM"

I LOVE the production on this album.
The bass lines.
The hard hitting drum lines.
The beat switches and transitions and the mood shifts that come with it.

Just an album that's rapturous to me.
Won't be everyone's deal but it's the sorta shit I'm on and it's the kinda album
I'd like to make.

It sounds "White" despite the metric shit ton of "Black" talent on the Album.
FutureProducers.com everybody !

THANK YOU!

You can tell these cats didn't go for your typical Trap or radio album - they really wanted to push their crafts forward musically and lyrically.

I never understood how this generation can be so against the fundamentals of music - melodies, harmonies, chord progressions. If you put these elements in your music, then people want to hate on you and say, "Be more like DJ Mustard and Lex Luger!!".

I haven't found ONE person who legitimately respects instrumentation and spittin who thinks this album is trash. It may not be their favorite, but they respect it. Must be these 25 key MIDI musicians with stolen vsts and pre-made arps that don't appreciate it.

Last edited:
This album is so overrated it's unbelievable. The beats used make it so hard to actually listen to because they distract from what Kendrick is saying. I've gave it a few tries and just find the whole thing annoying and not cohesive. I just can't see what's great about it.

I'll give this album one thing - it def is the most polarizing I've ever seen on this site and creates interesting convo.

lol the dark side is growing strong here... The hate and anger "it makes you stronger. Gives you focus!"

I just don't like the Stans. I can vibe to some of these songs in a playlist with some joint off Voodoo and some Jose James to boot. It wouldn't feel weird but these Stan niggas beblowing it out of proportion. Dudes are on some "it's the greatest rap album ever!!!". I'm a Roots fan... the last two albums them dudes put out were basically like a preview for this. Heck, this experimental take on things isn't even new... have ya'll actually jammed an EL-P album before he was working with Killer Mike????

Last edited:
I just don't like the Stans. I can vibe to some of these songs in a playlist with some joint off Voodoo and some Jose James to boot. It wouldn't feel weird but these Stan niggas beblowing it out of proportion. Dudes are on some "it's the greatest rap album ever!!!". I'm a Roots fan... the last two albums them dudes put out were basically like a preview for this. Heck, this experimental take on things isn't even new... have ya'll actually jammed an EL-P album before he was working with Killer Mike????
I've listened to El-P, Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, Cage, Atmosphere, Busdriver, J-Live etc.
Many underground heroes...still think this album is fire.

I've listened to El-P, Aesop Rock, Mr. Lif, Cage, Atmosphere, Busdriver, J-Live etc.
Many underground heroes...still think this album is fire.

Skyzoo, Action Bronson, Cormega, Papoose, Immortal Technique, Soul Position, and who can forget Brother Ali.

Still think this album is fire too. Maybe cats could digest it better if it replaced all of its chord progressions with 808s, snare rolls and lyrics about trappin in the strip club.

^^^That's the point. People always have to feel that when someone else doesn't like something they do, it must be because the person in question is somehow intellectually inferior.

Humorous when it comes to Kendrick and how they continue to package him using archaic strategies that make what they'd consider the puppet consumer feel intellectually superior for listening.

Example, his first album and the strategy they used to convince EVERYONE they were the first people "up on K. Dot" to the point that when they brought him out with that big concert with all of the West Coast in attendance for his release you felt like he "came up" and he was "supported for his talent". It was an event that artists were paid to show up for after precision timing and calculation to make an album sale higher end units on a low end budget.

You so brainwashed, you support this cause "they" released it, but won't petition for an Elle Varner album? Phuk outta here.

This album was made to be considered "a work of art". To appeal to people who turn their noses up at everything with a smug sense of superiority because it's so left field of a template hipsters have to nod to it, "real hip hop heads" have to respect the culture embedded in it and it's "not on the radio" vibe(which means they don't have to waste promo money to get it spins). There is absolutely talent behind the instruments, so music enthusiasts recognize the "talent" even if the overall sound is subpar.

This is nothing more than how you "sale"(sell) hip hop in 2015. No different than it was all about filtered trap beats and catchy hooks in 2013(in 2014 ain't shyt sale). Are we really pretending all artists with a budget and label backing haven't been pushed the same as of late(J. Cole ring a bell, how about Big Sean with this "work of art" Kanye exec produced, or even Luda with his "best work ever that could only be done from the place he's in now, Snoop and his new Jazzy funk album)?

If you like the album, cool, but don't think it's making you smarter, or any more of a music connoisseur than the guy who's vibing to "In Love With The Coco". If that's what we're here for, I'll just throw on some Strauss and pop this bottle of Highland Park I got and shyt on everything hip hop ever made(see, guys who drink expensive scotch while listening to classical music suffer from falling victim to the same propaganda).

By the way, Stankonia was my shyt. Rico Wade and Dungeon Fam were just as true instrumentalists, but understood the structure of hip hop. An example of this was 'Synthesizer" off Aquemeni(and I can respect it will sound like noise to most that's the freedom of OPINION, Marijuana's illegal, cigarettes' cool). One of my favorite songs ever. Even when pushing boundaries. In my opinion, Kendrick was not able to pull this off. You can't so easily group people based on their opinion of one album.
:cheers:

Last edited:
^^^That's the point. People always have to feel that when someone else doesn't like something they do, it must be because the person in question is somehow intellectually inferior.

Humorous when it comes to Kendrick and how they continue to package him using archaic strategies that make what they'd consider the puppet consumer feel intellectually superior for listening.

Example, his first album and the strategy they used to convince EVERYONE they were the first people "up on K. Dot" to the point that when they brought him out with that big concert with all of the West Coast in attendance for his release you felt like he "came up" and he was "supported for his talent". It was an event that artists were paid to show up for after precision timing and calculation to make an album sale higher end units on a low end budget.

You so brainwashed, you support this cause "they" released it, but won't petition for an Elle Varner album? Phuk outta here.

This album was made to be considered "a work of art". To appeal to people who turn their noses up at everything with a smug sense of superiority because it's so left field of a template hipsters have to nod to it, "real hip hop heads" have to respect the culture embedded in it and it's "not on the radio" vibe(which means they don't have to waste promo money to get it spins). There is absolutely talent behind the instruments, so music enthusiasts recognize the "talent" even if the overall sound is subpar.

This is nothing more than how you "sale"(sell) hip hop in 2015. No different than it was all about filtered trap beats and catchy hooks in 2013(in 2014 ain't shyt sale). Are we really pretending all artists with a budget and label backing haven't been pushed the same as of late(J. Cole ring a bell, how about Big Sean with this "work of art" Kanye exec produced, or even Luda with his "best work ever that could only be done from the place he's in now, Snoop and his new Jazzy funk album)?

If you like the album, cool, but don't think it's making you smarter, or any more of a music connoisseur than the guy who's vibing to "In Love With The Coco". If that's what we're here for, I'll just throw on some Strauss and pop this bottle of Highland Park I got and shyt on everything hip hop ever made(see, guys who drink expensive scotch while listening to classical music suffer from falling victim to the same propaganda).

By the way, Stankonia was my shyt. Rico Wade and Dungeon Fam were just as true instrumentalists, but understood the structure of hip hop. An example of this was 'Synthesizer" off Aquemeni(and I can respect it will sound like noise to most that's the freedom of OPINION, Marijuana's illegal, cigarettes' cool). One of my favorite songs ever. Even when pushing boundaries. In my opinion, Kendrick was not able to pull this off. You can't so easily group people based on their opinion of one album.

I'm not even going to front, that grassroot/underdog marketing
is pretty good lol.

We are living an an era where people want to feel as if they
are the ones who are pushing the artist.

The story is now so much more compelling and personal since we now get
to see it through social media.

Only complaint I have is that they shouldn't have jumped into that long ass jazz poetic skit immediately. The shit turned the album into some other shit.....just that one thing gave it a feel may have " killed the vibe" for most. I was like "aw hell....here we go with people doing too much." I'm immune to the album now and it's a part of me like all other albums that are NOT JUST RANDOM SONGS put together.

If someone tells me that TPAB is trash, but Young Thug and Fetty Wap are heat - then Yes, I will tell you you are intellectually inferior. That is not the case with you, but many people on this thread feel that way.

They're also the same people that say DJ Mustard is on the level of Timbaland and Rodney Jerkins. Drake is on the level of Andre 3000.

Plenty of people knew about Kendrick from Section 80 - that wasn't some small mixtape that went under the radar...even was nominated for a BET Award of Best Mixtape. The Recipe was out getting radio spins almost 6 months before Good Kid was even released. People supported Kendrick so much for Good Kid because Section 80 was that good to us!! We were excited to see what he could do for a major label album with Dre's support, not because some suits told us we had to like it. If Section 80, and even Overly Dedicated, was wack then no one would be following some suits marketing scheme.

The "overall sound is subpar" on every Wu album leading to Ghostface's Iron Man and Wu Tang Forever, but that didn't stop heads from respecting the production of RZA and his talent. That's straight up Hip Hop and you don't need 4 compressors, 19 filter automations and sidechaining to sound good. Go back and listen to the original All I Need from Meth. Go back and listen to Tearz. Go back and listen to Criminology. Them joints sound like they were recorded on dual tape decks with a Casio microphone. But heads still respected the talent taken to make them.

Last edited:
It's a classic album in my opinion. I said that weeks ago and I still say that today.
When I say an album is classic, I don't mean that like there are only a few classic hip-hop albums. If I sat back thought about it I probably could name dozens over the history of hip-hop.
I am no casual music listener and I was not brain washed by some hype machine. I use to bump that little brother plenty and still rock with 9th, phante, and pooh, because of that I heard this few year back.. I been rolling with K Dot ever since.

Its hard for me to accept some commentary from folks who never got into certain artists, but now proclaim an objective opinion of the albums short comings. I find it sad that folks that are to know so much about music can make comments like the album is trash or it has 0 replay value. You might not like the project, but damn be serious in your critique.

This was a well thought out project and it was not marketed wrong. Everything was calculated from K Dot doing press 3 months ago, without an so-called album date, to the so-call leak. Once you make a decision to do a project like this with this level of social-political content you are making a decision that you're probably are not going to appeal to all audiences and you might limit your sales ceiling. This is a serious project and much needed by a major artists in these times.

@yokuzin I real don't know why more cats don't just make the interludes separate tracks. I guess they want to force you to listen.

Last edited:
I disagree with both of the two positions being pushed in this thread.

I was listening to Kendrick prior to Section.80 and the label deal.
I thought his shit was dope and I've been rocking with him for a few years now.
So the whole "You only like him because you THINK he's an underdog" angle won't
work on me.

With that said liking some Young Thug, Rae sremmurd, Og Maco etc. cuts does
not mean I have "lesser" music taste, it just means "Hot shit" is just that HOT SHIT !
I'm the guy who switches from listening to Young Thug's "Check" to Kendrick's "Wesley's Theory"
to Kurt Rosenwinkel's "Zhivago" to something else.
Why ?
Because I'm willing to give a lot of different sounds and genres a chance and if it's hot, I'll rock with it.

With that said I do appreciate when an artist has clearly put a lot of work into their music and it usually
shows in the topics they cover and the sophistication in their music.

Last edited:
I disagree with both of the two positions being pushed in this thread.

work on me.

With that said liking some Young Thug, Rae sremmurd, Og Maco etc. cuts does
not mean I have "lesser" music taste, it just means "Hot shit" is just that HOT SHIT !
I'm the guy who switches from listening to Young Thug's "Check" to Kendrick's "Wesley's Theory"
to Kurt Rosenwinkel's "Zhivago" to something else.
Why ?
Because I'm willing to give a lot of different sounds and genres a chance and if it's hot, I'll rock with it.

With that said I do appreciate when an artist has clearly put a lot of work into their music and it usually
shows in the topics they cover and the sophistication in their music.

This is the right attitude towards music. People don't know how biased they really are (including myself). Just listen to what you like, don't just stick with one genre or one artist, and say whatever they make from now on will always be great. Good musicians sometimes make bad music, bad mucisians sometimes make good music.

Last edited:
work on me.
Yeah, because TDE wasn't already established with J. Rock's industry release as well as Ab Soul who was being pushed hard before his girl had her mishaps? Do you not remember the Chris Brown, Game, Lil Wayne, Will I Am, Snoop/Kurupt features? Were you not aware that kinda means "we all got on to K Dot when he had major backing". If you found him thru Oguin(Strange), Jimmy Iovine, or Dre.

You proved my point. I've been listening just as long along with the rest of the hip hop world. Yet, even when you want to 'debunk" what I said, you came at an angle like you've "been on to K Dot before...", so it just proves what I just said. How else would ANY suit push this kid other than an underground artist?

Now, this rant sounds like some type of "hate", I'm sure. Not by a long shot, I commend the marketing team able to sell this Iceberg of an MC in this never ending winter of current music while keeping a majority of Eskimos feeling their purchase was not in vain. Just again, if you ever think you were "on to K Dot before..." you've been sold that iceberg. Nothing wrong with it, I've been sold "that Iceberg" on everything from Juicers and "Slapchops" in my home, to Workout videos, to a few pair of monitors/speakers and mics I own. If we can't pull the wool from in front of our eyes, we won't know how to turn around and sell our own "icebergs". :cheers:

Last edited:
Everyone on this post that wasn't feeling TPAB was lookin extra sick in the face during Kendrick's performance last night at the Grammy's begging for Fetty Wap to come out.

Fix your face.

Back