Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: To Pimp A Butterfly is a "REAL ALBUM"

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Only complaint I have is that they shouldn't have jumped into that long ass jazz poetic skit immediately. The shit turned the album into some other shit.....just that one thing gave it a feel may have " killed the vibe" for most. I was like "aw hell....here we go with people doing too much." I'm immune to the album now and it's a part of me like all other albums that are NOT JUST RANDOM SONGS put together.

Thanks
    Last edited by wildinout8; 04-20-2015 at 06:32 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup View Post
    ^^^That's the point. People always have to feel that when someone else doesn't like something they do, it must be because the person in question is somehow intellectually inferior.
    If someone tells me that TPAB is trash, but Young Thug and Fetty Wap are heat - then Yes, I will tell you you are intellectually inferior. That is not the case with you, but many people on this thread feel that way.

They're also the same people that say DJ Mustard is on the level of Timbaland and Rodney Jerkins. Drake is on the level of Andre 3000.

Plenty of people knew about Kendrick from Section 80 - that wasn't some small mixtape that went under the radar...even was nominated for a BET Award of Best Mixtape. The Recipe was out getting radio spins almost 6 months before Good Kid was even released. People supported Kendrick so much for Good Kid because Section 80 was that good to us!! We were excited to see what he could do for a major label album with Dre's support, not because some suits told us we had to like it. If Section 80, and even Overly Dedicated, was wack then no one would be following some suits marketing scheme.

The "overall sound is subpar" on every Wu album leading to Ghostface's Iron Man and Wu Tang Forever, but that didn't stop heads from respecting the production of RZA and his talent. That's straight up Hip Hop and you don't need 4 compressors, 19 filter automations and sidechaining to sound good. Go back and listen to the original All I Need from Meth. Go back and listen to Tearz. Go back and listen to Criminology. Them joints sound like they were recorded on dual tape decks with a Casio microphone. But heads still respected the talent taken to make them.
    Last edited by wildinout8; 04-20-2015 at 06:41 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wildinout8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's a classic album in my opinion. I said that weeks ago and I still say that today.
    When I say an album is classic, I don't mean that like there are only a few classic hip-hop albums. If I sat back thought about it I probably could name dozens over the history of hip-hop.
    I am no casual music listener and I was not brain washed by some hype machine. I use to bump that little brother plenty and still rock with 9th, phante, and pooh, because of that I heard this few year back.https://youtu.be/XDtT9Ot_onM. I been rolling with K Dot ever since.

Its hard for me to accept some commentary from folks who never got into certain artists, but now proclaim an objective opinion of the albums short comings. I find it sad that folks that are to know so much about music can make comments like the album is trash or it has 0 replay value. You might not like the project, but damn be serious in your critique.

This was a well thought out project and it was not marketed wrong. Everything was calculated from K Dot doing press 3 months ago, without an so-called album date, to the so-call leak. Once you make a decision to do a project like this with this level of social-political content you are making a decision that you're probably are not going to appeal to all audiences and you might limit your sales ceiling. This is a serious project and much needed by a major artists in these times.

@yokuzin I real don't know why more cats don't just make the interludes separate tracks. I guess they want to force you to listen.
    Last edited by mwandishi; 04-21-2015 at 06:37 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwandishi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I disagree with both of the two positions being pushed in this thread.

I was listening to Kendrick prior to Section.80 and the label deal.
    I thought his shit was dope and I've been rocking with him for a few years now.
    So the whole "You only like him because you THINK he's an underdog" angle won't
    work on me.

With that said liking some Young Thug, Rae sremmurd, Og Maco etc. cuts does
    not mean I have "lesser" music taste, it just means "Hot shit" is just that HOT SHIT !
    I'm the guy who switches from listening to Young Thug's "Check" to Kendrick's "Wesley's Theory"
    to Kurt Rosenwinkel's "Zhivago" to something else.
    Why ?
    Because I'm willing to give a lot of different sounds and genres a chance and if it's hot, I'll rock with it.

With that said I do appreciate when an artist has clearly put a lot of work into their music and it usually
    shows in the topics they cover and the sophistication in their music.
    Last edited by UpanComer; 04-20-2015 at 10:10 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UpanComer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UpanComer View Post
    I disagree with both of the two positions being pushed in this thread.

work on me.

With that said liking some Young Thug, Rae sremmurd, Og Maco etc. cuts does
    not mean I have "lesser" music taste, it just means "Hot shit" is just that HOT SHIT !
    I'm the guy who switches from listening to Young Thug's "Check" to Kendrick's "Wesley's Theory"
    to Kurt Rosenwinkel's "Zhivago" to something else.
    Why ?
    Because I'm willing to give a lot of different sounds and genres a chance and if it's hot, I'll rock with it.

With that said I do appreciate when an artist has clearly put a lot of work into their music and it usually
    shows in the topics they cover and the sophistication in their music.
    This is the right attitude towards music. People don't know how biased they really are (including myself). Just listen to what you like, don't just stick with one genre or one artist, and say whatever they make from now on will always be great. Good musicians sometimes make bad music, bad mucisians sometimes make good music.
    Last edited by Just Clauz; 05-04-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UpanComer View Post
    work on me.
    Yeah, because TDE wasn't already established with J. Rock's industry release as well as Ab Soul who was being pushed hard before his girl had her mishaps? Do you not remember the Chris Brown, Game, Lil Wayne, Will I Am, Snoop/Kurupt features? Were you not aware that kinda means "we all got on to K Dot when he had major backing". If you found him thru Oguin(Strange), Jimmy Iovine, or Dre.

You proved my point. I've been listening just as long along with the rest of the hip hop world. Yet, even when you want to 'debunk" what I said, you came at an angle like you've "been on to K Dot before...", so it just proves what I just said. How else would ANY suit push this kid other than an underground artist?

Now, this rant sounds like some type of "hate", I'm sure. Not by a long shot, I commend the marketing team able to sell this Iceberg of an MC in this never ending winter of current music while keeping a majority of Eskimos feeling their purchase was not in vain. Just again, if you ever think you were "on to K Dot before..." you've been sold that iceberg. Nothing wrong with it, I've been sold "that Iceberg" on everything from Juicers and "Slapchops" in my home, to Workout videos, to a few pair of monitors/speakers and mics I own. If we can't pull the wool from in front of our eyes, we won't know how to turn around and sell our own "icebergs".
    Last edited by deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup; 05-06-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    it's classic and getting a ton of praise

Thanks
    Dope album

Thanks
    Everyone on this post that wasn't feeling TPAB was lookin extra sick in the face during Kendrick's performance last night at the Grammy's begging for Fetty Wap to come out.

Fix your face.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wildinout8 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information