Picture of the Australian studio Kanye & Jay-Z are using for "Watch The Throne"

MintyFreshBeats

I <3 Hip-Hop
Picture of the Australian studio Kanye & Jay-Z are using for "Watch The Throne"

Reposted from Mike Dean over at gearslutz...

208591d1292310442-pic-studio-jay-z-kanye-using-record-watch-throne-while-australia-img_0102.jpg

cool!

looks nice. I kinda wonder what studios will look like in 20 years. Just a computer and some nice monitors really. I guess the really high end mastering racks will stay in the physical world, but everything else will just be software.

Just kinda wierd to hear about artists looking to record in nice studios. Especially hip hop artists who will most likely only be recording vocals, that is, the music comes from the pc or sequencer...

Theres almost no need for a studio anymore really. I mean the Trilogy sounds so real. Who needs a pro studio and a pro amp and a pro bass player?

looks nice. I kinda wonder what studios will look like in 20 years. Just a computer and some nice monitors really. I guess the really high end mastering racks will stay in the physical world, but everything else will just be software.

Just kinda wierd to hear about artists looking to record in nice studios. Especially hip hop artists who will most likely only be recording vocals, that is, the music comes from the pc or sequencer...

Theres almost no need for a studio anymore really. I mean the Trilogy sounds so real. Who needs a pro studio and a pro amp and a pro bass player?

As evidenced by the guitars in this picture, and even by Kanye's new album, there is no real substitute. I mean, if you want an electric guitar, you play an electric guitar. Same for bass too, or any instrument.

I do agree that for most of us (not Jay-Z and Kanye), with cost and space being factors, the plugins are amazing.

^My guess would be that they put up a screen panel when they record
GIKscreenpanel.jpg

Nice studio, something about it screams pothead though. Did this Mike Dean have any details about it?

I would say that for guitar, though there are some vsts that are approaching the real nature sound of a good electric. Bass, on the other hand I find hard to record and mix well. I have a guy in Chicago who has been playing bass for 20 years, and worked in studios for 10 years and the tracks he sends me require a lot more work than simply loading up trilogy.

studios are like that now. lots of people work totally itb

I can't front. Aside from equipment costs, it looks like... a living room. This right here is inspiration and proof that you don't need to pay rent for a commercialized building in order to build an operating studio.

Basement, 4 real. Bedroom in some cases though.

Looks like my apartment, except a different interior designer, lol. My setup is pretty much the same computer, guitar, bass, except with a Motif instead of an asr, and a reel-reel deck w/ built-in pre amps instead of the rack of pre-amps.

I've never tried trilogy, but I've a tried a ton of different keyboard patches, and yet to hear one that has all the nuances of a real bass guitar. imo, there is no substitute, or one that I've heard yet at least

How does trilogy emulate it so good? Do you have any examples, even if its just a few tones from it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back