Phonte's Thoughts On Mobb Deep

mobay

dude seems to allways be on point with the articles

"6 pages in that other post and nobody's figured it out yet huh? Lemme break it down....

*sighs REAL deep*

Mobb Deep is gone. Club Mobb is what you have now. And you can either take it or leave it.

To me the last classic, dark, moody, make-me-wanna-open-fire-on-a-group-of-innocent-schoolchildren Mobb Deep single was "Quiet Storm." Hav and P were sharp as ever on the boards and on the mic respectively......and then.......

Enter Hov.

I'm sorry.....but I've never seen ANY emcee past or present be as VISIBLY affected by a dis as Prodigy was by that Summer Jam screen. All of a sudden, the same emcee who gave us countless quotables for 3 albums sounded as flustered and unfocused as ever. Hell, most of the time he wasn't even RHYMING..... Thus, we saw the beginnings of what I call "Club Mobb," a group that had had their street cred tested so many times (see: unfavorable incidents with TruLife and Keith Murray), that they figured '**** it.....let's take niggas to the club' and the results ranged from dope ("Burn"), to dope-once-it-grows-on-you ("Got It Twisted"), to horrid ("Hey Luv" feat. 112).

So what exactly happened?

Most people don't realize that the magic of Prodigy (and Mobb for that matter), lied in Prodigy's first bars. Literally......Prodigy has some of the most classic and memorable first bars in hip hop history, and that made for their best singles. Don't believe me?

"I got 'chu stuck off the realness....." -Shook Ones

"The saga begins.....we go to war/ I draw first blood be the first to set it off...." -Hell On Earth

"I put my lifetime in between the paper lines...." -Quiet Storm

"I break bread, r i b s, hunnid dolla bills...." -Keep It Thoro

Now as you listen to "Blood Money" try to find that bar. Dig through that album and search for that one line.....that ONE bar from Prodigy that made you and your mans rap along in unison like "I used to be in love with this ***** named E&J/ don't **** with her no more now I **** with Tanqueray" from "Drink Away The Pain."

You can't find it, 'cause its not there.

For better or worse depending on how you look at it, Havoc is now the best MC in Club Mobb. I take my hat off to him. Dude sounds hungrier than ever. And although P still has his moments (his verse on "Capital P, Capital H" is dope), for most of the album he's the same rambling, non-rhyming, unfocused guy that he's been for the past few years. He really sounds clinically depressed. It's sad.

So aside from its obvious artistic shortcomings, what does G-Unit have to do with people's hate for "Blood Money?"

Honestly......everything.

Like I told y'all so many times, even in regards to my OWN career.....in this game, PERCEPTION is reality.

And if people's general perception is that you cashed in 13 years of hard-earned respect for a Porsche...

AND you're rollin with the industry's hot new franchise boy (who DISSED you a year earlier, mind you)......

AND gave him total control of your album...

AND engaged in blatant ****-sniggling in interviews and on records by referring to him as Curtis Billion Dollar Budget Jackson.......

AND the only features on the record are G-Unit (no Noyd or any other QB niggas).......

Then what is the general consensus?

"Maaaaaan, them Mobb Deep niggas sold the **** out," that's what.

Now personally, I have no problem with an artist selling out, or cashing in (however you look at it)....but I understand the ramifications of it. And the fact remains that when you sell out: 1) it damn sure better be financially worth it so that you NEVER have to sell out again, and 2) your post sell-out records better be artistically ****ing BULLETPROOF. I mean, you better make the record of a lifetime or else there will be hell to pay.

And from the looks of things, Mobb may fail on both counts.

Cats are trashing the record left and right. Most die-hard Mobb fans have written them off by now. As dope as "Put 'Em In Their Place" is it ain't gon' get the 106 and TRL'ers, so those diamond numbers they were shooting for are looking more like Yayo's.

Not to place all the blame on 50, because truthfully, the songs he's featured on are among the best on the album. And I always thought "Outta Control" was dope, because it felt like a natural progression for Club Mobb.....it was the grown and sexy Club Mobb and it knocked. The same can't be said for "Give It To Me" and "Backstage Pass." They are club attempts that sound forced and honestly, are downright laughable.

I will always hold Hav and P near and dear to my heart, and they will always be viewed as hip-hop legends to me because of their first 3 albums (honorable mentions go to "H.N.I.C" and "Free Agents" tho). But I gotta call a spade a spade.

For longtime Mobb Deep fans, "Blood Money" pretty much confirmed our worst fears of what we thought a G-Unit/Mobb Deep partnership would bring forth:

Our boys done got rich and stopped trying."

i stop listening to little brother's comments after subscribing to there blog. bunch of ignant ass niggas.

"if you used the clap its because j. dilla used it."
-9th wonder... dudes need to get of off j.dilla's nuts. he wasn't that special.

on the subject of mobb deep. niggas give jay too much credit. yes he schooled them, but for me it was when they got dissed by tru life. if i was forced to walk around the nyc nude then i wouldn't be the same after.

Little Brother are just a bunch of angsty emo niggas mad cause they'll never sell. Oh and for backpack rap they aren't even the best, AT ALL.

People need to worry about their own music and not someone else's. Who gives a **** if they going for a club sound. What's wrong with changin' sh1t up on a CD for a sec. Damn. I don't get it. Everyone in Hip Hop is a ****1n cridict. Just listen and like it or don't listen and do you.

Last edited:
sonof said:
i stop listening to little brother's comments after subscribing to there blog. bunch of ignant ass niggas.

-9th wonder... dudes need to get of off j.dilla's nuts. he wasn't that special...
I don't know how old you are or when you got heavily got into HipHop production, but this quote by 9th Wonder is correct. I remember vividly when nobody would use clap, people thought it was corny. Then Dilla put out a couple of bangas and next thing you know everybody and their momma are using claps(for the most part). I would equate this to Lil Jon and 808 drums.

As far as his assesment on Mobb Deep, I would also agree. While I haven't heard blood money, pretty much everything else he said is right. But like he said, if this the route that you are going to take, which isn't wrong, than your music got to be bulletproof...

People are gonna get extra "raggy" about this... cuz it's an established artist making the comments. Niggas forget, artists are still fans first and foremost, if they say otherwise... THEY ARE LYING! Phonte is just speakin from a fans perspective.

Ah well, another day huh? I get the same grief all the time for voicing my opinion... so be it.

sonof said:

on the subject of mobb deep. niggas give jay too much credit. yes he schooled them, but for me it was when they got dissed by tru life. if i was forced to walk around the nyc nude then i wouldn't be the same after.

somehow i disagree with everything you say

anyways Phonte is a genious and is speaking what 85% of us were thinking

MysterE said:

somehow i disagree with everything you say

anyways Phonte is a genious and is speaking what 85% of us were thinking

i'm not saying he didn't speak the truth. its just that i know this, you know, how come when it comes from phonte it's viewed as the "truth." nigga ain't saying nothing that hasn't been said before. but since his a rapper he's special and his opinions mean more. funk that.

@ Wiggum, Ralph... i'd credit the clap to zapp. how's that for a history lesson?

lol if someone else said it i would agree stop trying to say we only agree cus it's phonte HE's THE ONE THAT SAID IT.

sonofabiiitch said:

i'm not saying he didn't speak the truth. its just that i know this, you know, how come when it comes from phonte it's viewed as the "truth." nigga ain't saying nothing that hasn't been said before. but since his a rapper he's special and his opinions mean more. funk that.

@ Wiggum, Ralph... i'd credit the clap to zapp. how's that for a history lesson?

SHAP

First of all, saying Dilla wasn't special is one of the most ignorant things I've read in a long time. He did things that the majority of us will never do... he's a legend.

But anyways, the Mobb definitely has fallen off, and I'm not a Phonte dick rider. I like LB, but I don't view everything Phonte says as the truth. I've always been a Mobb Deep fan. "The Infamous" is one of my favorite cd's, but "Blood Money" is terrible straight up. It seems like Prodigy has lost all of his hunger, and Havoc's beats, which are usually solid, fail most of the time. Hav and P need to get away from G Unit and study their classic albums...this **** that's out now is weak, amateur ****.

sonof said:

man i am/was a huge mobb fan and couldnt possibly agree wiht phonte anymore...man speaks eveyrthing ive said botu the album.... and hwo u gonna say jay dee aint that special honestly man is amazing...the beats he did for tribe, and slum villiage alone prove the man is a genious... and dudes on here dissing phonte for being emo

wtf??? emo is talkign botu some real stuff and not just blood, money, pussy, and saying mike joens a thousand times? little brother do real rap on dope beats...too eahc his own thier opinion and i respect them if you dont like them but to call them emo? rap is an expression, and everyone has a point and theres more than BET and MTV!

the infamous and hell on earth are two of my favorite albums ever!!!

how am i going to say j. dilla ain't nothing special? hmmm... like this, that dude ain't special.

he's an average beat maker. there are thousands of dudes out there and just because this one dies he becomes the king of beats? nergo please! dude was nice and i have respect for what he did. but to put him at the top of my list would be disrespectful. never felt his stuff before and don't feel it now.

a bunch of niggas did beats for tribe. a bunch of niggas did beats for slum village. and just because this one dies, everyones like "oh ****, let me get donuts and get a dilla sig." **** y'all niggas. he ain't do nothing that plenty of people did before he came and will do after he left.

smh at y'all dilla dick riders.

and smh @ Big M... nigga said "wtf??? emo is talkign botu some real stuff and not just blood, money, pussy, and saying mike joens a thousand times?" then had the nerve to say "the infamous and hell on earth are two of my favorite albums ever!!!" blood, money, pussy is all those albums talk about. get your ish together.

sonof said:
...@ Wiggum, Ralph... i'd credit the clap to zapp. how's that for a history lesson?
sonof I assume you are talking about Zapp that included the Troutmans among others. I see where you are coming from, but even they aren't the first to use claps...

What we are saying, claps in HipHop. Look at albums around 97-00(maybe 01) and you will be hardpressed to find a clap. I remember having a argument with a "backpack" producer and his exact words were "clap are corny". Nobody was using them that much, than as soon as Dilla started to use them, all of a sudden everbody started to use them regularly. Like I said it parallels Lil Jon and the 808 drums. Jon isn't even the first in HipHop to use them, but he brought them back...

Last edited:
what you call club mobb is simple, its mobb deep becoming product rappers and there old stuff was true mc's making hip hop. But the move to g-unit obviously is just about bussiness and them getting the benjamins, most rappers fall into this trap.

Wiggum said:
sonof I assume you are talking about Zapp that included the Troutmans among others. I see where you are coming from, but even they aren't the first to use claps...

What we are saying, claps in HipHop. Look at albums around 97-00(maybe 01) and you will be hardpressed to find a clap. I remember having a argument with a "backpack" producer and his exact words were "clap are corny". Nobody was using them that much, than as soon as Dilla started to use them, all of a sudden everbody started to use them regularly. Like I said it parallels Lil Jon and the 808 drums. Jon isn't even the first in HipHop to use them, but he brought them back...

What year would you say Dilla started using claps?

[color=sky blue]Artists are still fans, and I can appreciate Phontes honesty regarding his opinion on Mobb Deep...I hate how everything has to be politically correct...Its refreshing to see people speak their minds...

I guess what I dont understand is...how come you couldnt just sprinkle Mobb with the club/radio jams to move units and attract a crossover audience, and they still retain their sound for their fanbase...

Wasnt that what GRODT was all about, or even Bucks and Banks records about? [/color]

1stly I would say phonte's anaylsis is correct cos I Hell on Earth was dope after that obviously they had tracks here and there but in general **** was boring.

But it is worth noting that Little brother appear to be going in the same direction as cos that new seperate but equal mixtape was boring.

Peeps is talking **** about dilla dont know dudes history and what he has done, man is a legend and all the top producers in the game will tell u the same **** so do ur homework.

Back