Originalty and being good how do you do it

dev vision

i have a guess but Ive been thinking about this a lot lately because it seams like anything i make thats good isnt original or creative, and anything i make that is creative isnt good. how do you make something that is both creative and "good".

Last edited:
You shouldn't even be doing this producing thing if you ain't tryna to be original/creative. If you ain't tryna forge your own sound then why you in the game? And who is to judge on what's good? Your friends? Your family? If people really want your -ish, then they'll ask for it.

You shouldn't even be doing this producing thing if you ain't tryna to be original/creative. If you ain't tryna forge your own sound then why you in the game? And who is to judge on what's good? Your friends? Your family? If people really want your -ish, then they'll ask for it.

actualy my whole posts was about trying to be creative AND good at the same time

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

i think posting a thread like this will do nothing for you
only if i get responses like this

All I know to do is keep doing it...
Maybe combine your experimental creativity with hot trendy shit even if it is unoriginal
After a while you'll get better and better at pushing the envelope

One of the things i hate about this website it how some people pretend to have the answers to EVERYTHING. Like they are the wisest producers to ever walk the earth, replying with their smart comments in situations where you could have just pressed back and not even replied to the thread if you didnt have anything positive or helpful to say. Dude is just trying to look to someone for a little advice on getting better...lighten up..

But man, im not the best producer here, but i can say keep practicing and continue to try new things and new sounds every production. Thats the only way your going to find your sound & find yourself outside the box being more creative. My projects also got more creative since ive been learning piano/theory...So learning/studying your craft is a def. MUST if you want to excel

Last edited:
at some point in the beginning of your music making, you will get comfortable with your abilities and find that you have a 'sound'.

Then after you find your 'sound' you will incorporate other elements (whether its other sounds, new textures, new structures, or rhythms) into your music and create something different or 'original'.

Then you have that next level where you "try to go against your sound/tendencies" and do something totally different (failure or success). We've seen many of the best artists hit this phase.

Its all healthy. Nothing wrong with simplistic or complex. Make what you like.

just like some of these dudes said just keep at it. u will learn new tricks and find new sounds.
thats my biggest thing. keep finding new sounds. or make new sounds. i personally like hearing shit i never heard before

Honestly, finding originality and being good at it takes time. There's really no magic way to get there. You just have to put in the work to get yourself there especially if it doesn't come naturally. I remember when I was first learning to make music, the biggest challenge for me was figuring out how to play what was in my head. That took YEARS to perfect.

So just keep going and working to get better. Eventually it'll all fall into place.

:D

Doing the same shit for 10 years won't make you grow.
I liked that line from a German rapper, which translated reads something like: "If you make hip hop and all you listen to is hip hop, that's like incest/inbreeding".
Guess that encapsulates the whole problem; you need inspiration and inspiration never comes from something you do over and over again. It's like, if you want to expand your musical "vocabulary", you won't achieve that by reading the same "book" all the time.

For example, if I want to make a Hawaiian/"surfer" track, I won't listen to Hawaiian music; I'll listen to West-African music, because it has a similar mood, but uses different progressions and instruments. If I need to make that "epic" chase sound for a scene in a movie, I'll listen to some Arabic rhythms and percussion. If I want to have a "heavy" bassdrum sound, I won't reuse the same 808, but will look for some japanese Odaiko drum sounds, if I need a track that sounds kinda Indian/"Oriental", I will probably find some inspiration in South African rap music, etc...

If you want to go "around the world", musically, then it's not about doing a 360 and arriving back at the same place you started, but about the "journey". And in the end, it's not only about having different ingredients, it's mainly about how good of a cook you are and how you blend the "flavors".

A while back I invented a new technique for playing a particular instrument and even though it's conceptually quite cool it takes a lot more innovation to produce something worth while after the concept stage.

When you come up with something original there is always the thought of someone jacking your innovation, like Heinrich Gobel might have been the first guy to have a brilliant idea represented by a light bulb popping above his head, but Thomas Edison jacked that shit and took the credit, and what about poor old Antonio Meucci, who invented the telephone only to have Alexander Graham Bell take the credit and use his invention to make booty calls, truth is, having an original idea ain't shit unless you can roll it out and have people ask "how do I get that Dev Vision sound?" so you just got to work at it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's like with Tesla who invented the technology for the internet and described how to build it, but Al Gore is credited with inventing it. Or when David Hasselhoff was singing in Berlin and people started to tear that wall down, but they say today, it was due to a "political revolution". Same with people saying Jesus spoke Aramaic, but he was in a Hebrew land, the bible was supposed to be originally written in Greek.......but then you read the KJ Bible.......and it's in English!!! Duh.

Btw, I like what you did there with the whole "lights goes on in my head!"-bulbs shit, but the Eureka!-movement was all about WATER man. lol

to quote the Beastie Boys (who were without a doubt completely original) :

Everybody rappin like it's a commerical, actin like life is a big commerical
So this is what I got to say to yall, be true to yourself and you'll never fall

Last edited:
It's kinda of a hypocritical statement but you want to be out of the box without being too out of the box so you take a working forumula and put your own spin to it. However if you way out the box and it catches on that can be really good as well most of the time this fails though.

every genius has his source(s), listening to your favorite artists/songs/pictures/writings/dreams/anything and combining your favorite aspects of each and incorporating it into your music would probably turn out to be more original then you think.

Also anyone who hasn't seen "How Music Works" great movie! Really bridges the gap inbetween all of the different genres, and breaks it down for you. I was lucky enough to hear it mentioned in an obscure youtube comment...hehehe

lots of good tools to be found in this thread though, take them on your musical journey! :D

Zen Guitar is a great book to tap into your creativity as well

It has nothing to do with actually playing guitar. It has a lot to do with philosophy and how to make the best music you can.

just like some of these dudes said just keep at it. u will learn new tricks and find new sounds.
thats my biggest thing. keep finding new sounds. or make new sounds. i personally like hearing shit i never heard before

Beat me to it...

It's all about the sounds. If you take any good melody and put traditional instruments in it... it will sound "good"...

... but if you swap out that same melody with some of the "new" sounds you can get from vsti's (or sounds you design yourself)... that melody could sound incredible...

Think about the Look At Me Now song... that "little sound" is what makes people like that song. If that were a grand piano plugged into the same midi arrangement as that "little sound" the song wouldn't be as special...

Don't try to be weird or anything, just "spice up" some of your melodies with new and refreshing sounds.

Works for me... I don't even / wouldn't even know what to call this sound...

Last edited:
sounds like a synth bass layered with an organ to me, aint that weird man lol. still dope tho. run it through guitar rig if you really want to **** peoples heads up ;)

Last edited:
One of the things i hate about this website it how some people pretend to have the answers to EVERYTHING. Like they are the wisest producers to ever walk the earth, replying with their smart comments in situations where you could have just pressed back and not even replied to the thread if you didnt have anything positive or helpful to say. Dude is just trying to look to someone for a little advice on getting better...lighten up..

But man, im not the best producer here, but i can say keep practicing and continue to try new things and new sounds every production. Thats the only way your going to find your sound & find yourself outside the box being more creative. My projects also got more creative since ive been learning piano/theory...So learning/studying your craft is a def. MUST if you want to excel
and the thing i hate most with this site is cry baby ass whiners who take everything to heart instead of realizing this is an internet forum and didnt think to take the time to not enter the thread if they were gonna have an emotional breakdown

Last edited:
Back