not a beatmaking video... but it'll help. j-traxx

j-traxx

sup fp. it's me.. alot of cats have asked about how to freestyle on the keys and stuff during beatmaking sessions as opposed to planning everything else out. and it mainly comes from practice... i'm nowhere near being a great keyboard player but i know how to get my ideas out fast and that's what makes me valued. the big idea on this vid is playing along with music that you like.. so you can drop ideas and hear yourself thinking and hopefuly get lucky through the mistakes and find some nice melodies that you can build on later when you are producing/beatmaking.

here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1a7RM_A8Y

enjoy.

i aint no great keyboarder but it's whatever.

:D

nice jersey playa..i never knew a fat boy can play the keys like that..j/k but you did a good job with that video..

Oh, and I like that point about not trying to play what they play - that's great.

Of course, we gon' try to emulate what these great musicians do, but you ain't never gon' develop yo' own style if you always playin' what James Poyser plays, or what so and so plays.

I gotta get that Tye Tribett album, tho'. Was you playin' in B?

That ish was so dope man...I can say there is no better way to be one, and learn ur instrument than that approach. Sit down, play a cd, and improvise over the top through the whole track. I used to do that all day to one song over and over...n just like u say, u are developing ur skills and melody lines for future work. Its like writing battle raps all day long.

Only thing is so many hiphop producers are just oblivious to all of it, cuz u become so focused on making a 4-8 bar loop with variations on break downs, u loose all creative dimensions in music, and just focus on a beat.

So good to hear music Trax.

how u gonna forget ya boy~! but fa real thas hot.....but see the thign that gets me is, how do u get to the point where u can just play and play like that...i was takin some lesson, and dood had me playoin jingle bells....and that was the 3rd week it felt liek i wasnt learnin nuthin.. oh well enough rantin u get the point!

Oh shlt, I got the first shout out... GANGSTA!!!! Future Truestonians unite with the OGz!

EDIT: I bought you a better jerz... low and behold.

p1487900reg.jpg

THE REAL NUMERO 80! A must own for any Houstonian.

j-traxx said:
you're gonna be on this for a while .. i can tell.

so you are not recording your "freestyles" on a DAT or sequencer?
I don´t have problems remembering certain melodies, but it´s kinda hard for me to remember 50 of them AND the way I played them :)

im tellin you traxx,

you are one funny looking mofukka! hahaha

you remind me of a friend who keeps on crackin jokes all day long. we always need him on friday nights lol

Back