[NOHOMO]What drums were used for 90's pop music like N'sync ?

C

California

hello. i wanna make a cheesy 90's styled pop song (for my joke group i put together called N-Boys (nsync.backstreet boys) which is just some friends and cousins lip syncing BB and Nsync songs for laughs, but this time around i want to actually make our own song , and i want it to sound like a song that wouldve came out in those times. So i was wondering what kind of drums, drums samples, etc have those snares that they used to use that were real snappy , the other instruments sound the same as those of today , but those snares were real unique to that time/style so i want to know where they came from ? is there are other instruments/vsts etc that have sounds that were popular in that genre i would like to know those aswell , but to start , id be happy with those snares (what drum machine was used etc) . thanks

here are some examples

oh and once again ,no homo

Last edited by a moderator:
really dude?? no homo??

what would be homo about trying to get a drum for a record?

folks care too much about sexuality...

yeah i bump nsync and BRITNEY SPEARS... with no ****ing shame either..

u heard the production on toxic?? is your mind even far out enuff to conceptualize what it took to come up with a production like toxic??

them pop producers got some strange production i dont care what no one says...and they making the most bread...while u got u saying no homo to their production..

I would love to be the writer of some of those tracks... those publishing checks gotta be crazy... lol

Last edited:
i am a fan of nsync and backstreet boys. Nohomo is for the people that think its gay to like those jams . every time im playing the piano somewhere with people taking requests, it just ends up turning into a "request nsync , spice girls or backstreet boys" fest . but im still trying to get some insight as to what drum machines etc were used (or keyboards ie triton etc) were used for those tracks adn specifically the drums . that snare i gangsta

NOHOMO is Homo. Never used that word ever again.

California said:
i am a fan of nsync and backstreet boys. Nohomo is for the people that think its gay to like those jams . every time im playing the piano somewhere with people taking requests, it just ends up turning into a "request nsync , spice girls or backstreet boys" fest . but im still trying to get some insight as to what drum machines etc were used (or keyboards ie triton etc) were used for those tracks adn specifically the drums . that snare i gangsta

You should be man enough and not care what ppl think. You might find your answer on wikipedia or google. Good luck brother.

Last edited:
Would i lose my hood pass if i liked both The Backstreet Boys & N'Sync's music back then??...lol. I actually had one of the BSB's albums i forgot which one.

This ish was 1 of my favs. 16 HOMO-16 HOMO=??.

I still like this song but...shhhhhhh.

Oh yeah is it just me or dont those snares just sound pitched down & layered w/ a clap???

Last edited by a moderator:
dopemcee said:
really dude?? no homo??

what would be homo about trying to get a drum for a record?

folks care too much about sexuality...

yeah i bump nsync and BRITNEY SPEARS... with no ****ing shame either..

u heard the production on toxic?? is your mind even far out enuff to conceptualize what it took to come up with a production like toxic??

them pop producers got some strange production i dont care what no one says...and they making the most bread...while u got u saying no homo to their production..

ur gay.. and dont arguee you said you bump britney spears. also you said making the most bread. you are a fag.

Oh and it's probley drums from the 606, 909, and 808 kits . They weren't reinventing the weel on of that ****

Last edited:
A lot of live drums and a lot of vinyl samples. These pop producers generally were electronic producers first and just like hip hop in their beginnings they were sampling drum 1 shots too so it wouldn't surprise me. I know Max Matrin was responsible for a lot of those hits. He heavily used the mpc 2000 and the triton around that time. Some of the other producers used the asr x and drum samples or live drums at the time.

ive googled and wikipediad and nothing . I cant even find out who produced the tracks that use the snare on wikipedia . i googled "equipment used produce backstreet boys" "backstreet boys drum samples" "drum machines 90's pop" etc .the videos don tplay here, but if you click the video itself after it tells you it cant play, ti will take you to the actual video on youtube where you can hear it

California said:
ive googled and wikipediad and nothing . I cant even find out who produced the tracks that use the snare on wikipedia . i googled "equipment used produce backstreet boys" "backstreet boys drum samples" "drum machines 90's pop" etc .the videos don tplay here, but if you click the video itself after it tells you it cant play, ti will take you to the actual video on youtube where you can hear it

Layer some drums together & figure it out...lol. It shouldn't be that hard.

but im going for authenticity, not "sounds like it" . after doing some research and following the lead that was given to me (the name max martin) , i found out what he uses nowadays , but i have yet to find what was used to make that 90's pop sound
http://www.maratone.se/
in this page he lists his whole gear list in the "studio" tab . but this is nowadays

90s were heavy on those rack romplers/synths:
Especially the Proteus 2000. That was the main machine for many producers for bread and butter sounds...

EMU Orbit
EMU Orbit3
EMU Planet Phatt
EMU Mo Phatt
EMU Procussion
EMU Proteus/1 plus Orcestral
EMU Proteus 2000
EMU Proteus 2500
EMU Vintage Keys
EMU Xtreme Lead-1

They are also listed on martins homepage.
First thing I would recommend is the free Proteus VX from EMU.
http://www.emu.com/

Don't forget Roland's XV-5080 and Korg's Triton that both came out around 2000.

Last edited:
that max martin snare that he used in a lot of his hits for bsb, nsync and britney is on the korg triton

I read my info in an interview I found about 2 years ago when I was curious about the same thing. Martin mentioned he used a mpc 2000 during the interview and a triton for a lot of the sounds. Tho geenie in a bottle sounds like a bunch of triton preset drums and 909 presets

Hip hop wasn't really using keyboards like that in 97 to 2002 era. I mean the neptunes were and swizzy was but that's mostly it. Everyone else was still rockin sp1200s and mpcs lol

I have unlimited possibilities to imitate those drums with my mpc3000 samplekit. It also has "martin's" trademark snare in there. Pop drums are usually pretty compressed and eq'd to be very gentle and snappy on ears.

California said:
i am a fan of nsync and backstreet boys. Nohomo is for the people that think its gay to like those jams

smh....you said No Homo because you feared you'd lose your e-cred in a hiphop forum, don't try and deny it.

A lot of those drums either came from specific drum machines (and the sounds were tweaked) or recorded drums (most of those producers had access to quality studios and microphones.)

Xabiton said:
I read my info in an interview I found about 2 years ago when I was curious about the same thing. Martin mentioned he used a mpc 2000 during the interview and a triton for a lot of the sounds. Tho geenie in a bottle sounds like a bunch of triton preset drums and 909 presets

LOL I loved that Genie In A Bottle beat and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Back