The music we listen to has changed?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
Now this is common sense to some and not so much for others, but the music we listen to has changed drastically. I'm talking about diversity that is. Most modern hip hop fans only listen to hip hop. No soul, no rnb, no rock, no blues, no classical. Mostly just hip hop. Strange thing is to me though is that the producers and makers of hip hop haven't narrowed their selection down. To me it's grown. Cats listen to country, edm, Dollywood, Asian, Classical, Soul, Blues, Rock and everything in between. What's up with that?

At the end of the day, there's just good music and bad music, irrespective of genre.

It's just that because of the availability of cracked software and an abundance of opportunists, HIP HOP has a disproportionately high amount of bad music. Like 90%. Other styles? Not so much.

You ever seen a ****ing blues band go into the studio and pop open fruity loops?

No.

At the end of the day, there's just good music and bad music, irrespective of genre.

It's just that because of the availability of cracked software and an abundance of opportunists, HIP HOP has a disproportionately high amount of bad music. Like 90%. Other styles? Not so much.

You ever seen a ****ing blues band go into the studio and pop open fruity loops?

No.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I was questioning why has Hip Hop fan's listening selection narrowed, while the maker's selection has expanded.

I agree with the good music/bad music. I listen to The Dillinger Escape Plan, Genghis Tron and The Armed. But I like to produce Hip-Hop. if you know anything about those bands you will understand the diversity. I listen to older Sia, A Tribe Called Quest, Metallica, Pantera, Tool, Fugees, Tupac.. you get the point. if it has emotion it shouldn't matter what genre it is...

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I was questioning why has Hip Hop fan's listening selection narrowed, while the maker's selection has expanded.
hip hop was born of diversity, wherever it is now doesn't really matter, it took rewinding tapes and throwing 'em on loops to get here. you can't say hip hop is narrow minded when in reality it has brought in all aspects of music to even become a reality. I don't see how how hip hop listeners minds are narrow-minded. dubstep kids are the most narrow minded i know of..

no offense, but i don't really think you know the history of hip hop. :hmmm:

up until 2006-2007 majority of hip hop producers used to sample...diggin for records, listening to other genres,figuring out the labels, songwriters and producers that you like... just so you can go and buy more of their records.

all you need now is a vst.

To do what? Play music? Sure. If you want to play Rock, all you need is a guitar, or a guitar VST. Then what?

Take all the people on FP who use VSTs every day, to make (collectively) 1000's of tracks - forget about the entire rest of the VST-using world. You see an overwhelming # of success stories? I must be missing them..

Is it really any easier/harder/different/better/worse/richer/poorer now than the past? Depending on who you ask, and from what angle they're looking, it's any or all of those things.

As for the OP - musicians are into music and the pursuit of great music moreso than the average listener. What's good enough for a casual fan who's too dedicated to his family and 9-5 to really get into music might not be enjoyable to you - but they don't know or care about the difference. It's like some people are not into sports while others cry over it.

Last edited:
To do what? Play music? Sure. If you want to play Rock, all you need is a guitar, or a guitar VST. Then what?

Take all the people on FP who use VSTs every day, to make (collectively) 1000's of tracks - forget about the entire rest of the VST-using world. You see an overwhelming # of success stories? I must be missing them..

it's not about being successful or how hard it is to make a song, it's about not needing the records to sample if you want to make a beat. if i'm inspired by a trap song i can just turn on my DAW and make something...if i'm inspired by dj premier i have to listen to a bunch of jazz records until i find something to sample. that alone is telling me that the new producers ain't listening to other genres more then the old guys did

When I was younger the majority of Hip Hop / Rap listeners that I fcuked with (Street cats) only listened to rap. A lot of them cats were...and unfortunately some still are...one dimensional. #RealTalk

up until 2006-2007 majority of hip hop producers used to sample...diggin for records, listening to other genres,figuring out the labels, songwriters and producers that you like... just so you can go and buy more of their records.

You didn't read my post. I said the makers of the music seem to have expanded on their selection while the listeners have narrowed their selection. Of course people sample and dig for records that's part of the reason I said producers, rapper and singers have expanded. We got stuff sampled now a days that dudes in the past wouldn't touch. What I'm saying is that it's much rarer to find a normal fan who listens to something outside of hip hop.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

it's not about being successful or how hard it is to make a song, it's about not needing the records to sample if you want to make a beat. if i'm inspired by a trap song i can just turn on my DAW and make something...if i'm inspired by dj premier i have to listen to a bunch of jazz records until i find something to sample. that alone is telling me that the new producers ain't listening to other genres more then the old guys did

I can't agree I think a lot of new producers listen to different genres than some of the older ones do. EDM, Tribal Music, Pop music is what I hear sampled now. In the past it was Jazz, R&B and soul

I can't agree I think a lot of new producers listen to different genres than some of the older ones do. EDM, Tribal Music, Pop music is what I hear sampled now. In the past it was Jazz, R&B and soul

well...don't you think "new" producers spend less time listening to records (other genres) nowadays? to me that's narrowing, not expanding. after all they don't need to do it in order to make new songs. also, what makes you think "older" producers didn't listen to dance and pop?

hip hop wasn't a genre, it was a culture. b-boyin', turntables, rapping AND beats. it was a lifestyle it wasn't just some cats digging through crates. no offense..

Aww damn..

The game dun changed..lol.

I think its funny how rap has unfolded......It went from keeping it real to selling out and now its...well, i'm not sure what it is......

View attachment 40065

I think we all do at this point. It's about a check and nothing more than that at this point. People use to respect their craft but the only thing people respect anymore is a , check. I watch and read the full on disrespect of the game all the time here on FP. Young Rock and Roll musicians respect their older peers but on the most part that just isn't the case in Hip Hop. There should be room for everyone in the Hip Hop game. My picture just shows what Hip Hop is or isn't. I ain't mad at the "world's most dangerous site" for them to stay afloat they need that ad money but at least have Levi's and whoever else, put ads that match your readers...then again maybe it does? Oh yeah I think they should scrap that motto though.

EVERYTHING changes. If you want to listen to the old shit, play the old shit. People are much more nostalgic when it comes to music for some reason? very few real music hobbyists who go searching for new interesting stuff. just niches. chasing the dragon in a way too. ya know? smell me? smell me please...

I think we all do at this point. It's about a check and nothing more than that at this point. People use to respect their craft but the only thing people respect anymore is a , check. I watch and read the full on disrespect of the game all the time here on FP. Young Rock and Roll musicians respect their older peers but on the most part that just isn't the case in Hip Hop. There should be room for everyone in the Hip Hop game. My picture just shows what Hip Hop is or isn't. I ain't mad at the "world's most dangerous site" for them to stay afloat they need that ad money but at least have Levi's and whoever else, put ads that match your readers...then again maybe it does? Oh yeah I think they should scrap that motto though.

I aint mad neither. If my name is on it...I'll take that check tho - Justin beiber all over my notoriously dangerous hip hop site. lol -Yup, I'm laughin all the way to the bank. Cha-ching.

- In this day and age you cant afford to leave money on the table. No way. If you make money sellin beats - get ya money there - Selling ad space - same sh*t, Get It there - its a new game - go where the money is. Regardless on how you feel.. #GetDough

Now, don't get me wrong, I will always have love for the artform and culture of Hip Hop and the symbolism of what it originally stood for but this is an example of how the game dun changed and you can either 'get it in' or get left out of it. The choice is yours...

AllNotSoHip Hop dot com...??? Oh I forgot it's the worlds most dangerous site!

View attachment 40055

To think i used to wonder how D4L & Dem Franchize Boyz were allowed in the game. Now the same groups look like the realest Hip Hop ever. lul. Hip Hop is dead lul.

Do you think for example the Metal scene would allow these pop idols in?

Last edited:
Back