Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The music we listen to has changed?

Thanks

The music we listen to has changed?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Now this is common sense to some and not so much for others, but the music we listen to has changed drastically. I'm talking about diversity that is. Most modern hip hop fans only listen to hip hop. No soul, no rnb, no rock, no blues, no classical. Mostly just hip hop. Strange thing is to me though is that the producers and makers of hip hop haven't narrowed their selection down. To me it's grown. Cats listen to country, edm, Dollywood, Asian, Classical, Soul, Blues, Rock and everything in between. What's up with that?

Thanks
    At the end of the day, there's just good music and bad music, irrespective of genre.

It's just that because of the availability of cracked software and an abundance of opportunists, HIP HOP has a disproportionately high amount of bad music. Like 90%. Other styles? Not so much.

You ever seen a ****ing blues band go into the studio and pop open fruity loops?

No.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_beats_bastard View Post
    At the end of the day, there's just good music and bad music, irrespective of genre.

It's just that because of the availability of cracked software and an abundance of opportunists, HIP HOP has a disproportionately high amount of bad music. Like 90%. Other styles? Not so much.

You ever seen a ****ing blues band go into the studio and pop open fruity loops?

No.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I was questioning why has Hip Hop fan's listening selection narrowed, while the maker's selection has expanded.

Thanks
    It's cool dude. It ain't easy being greasy. Keep bringing DAT HEAT SON! PEACE!

Thanks
    I agree with the good music/bad music. I listen to The Dillinger Escape Plan, Genghis Tron and The Armed. But I like to produce Hip-Hop. if you know anything about those bands you will understand the diversity. I listen to older Sia, A Tribe Called Quest, Metallica, Pantera, Tool, Fugees, Tupac.. you get the point. if it has emotion it shouldn't matter what genre it is...

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KelevraOne View Post
    That has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I was questioning why has Hip Hop fan's listening selection narrowed, while the maker's selection has expanded.
    hip hop was born of diversity, wherever it is now doesn't really matter, it took rewinding tapes and throwing 'em on loops to get here. you can't say hip hop is narrow minded when in reality it has brought in all aspects of music to even become a reality. I don't see how how hip hop listeners minds are narrow-minded. dubstep kids are the most narrow minded i know of..

Thanks
    no offense, but i don't really think you know the history of hip hop.

up until 2006-2007 majority of hip hop producers used to sample...diggin for records, listening to other genres,figuring out the labels, songwriters and producers that you like... just so you can go and buy more of their records.

all you need now is a vst.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stokeI View Post
    all you need now is a vst.
    To do what? Play music? Sure. If you want to play Rock, all you need is a guitar, or a guitar VST. Then what?

Take all the people on FP who use VSTs every day, to make (collectively) 1000's of tracks - forget about the entire rest of the VST-using world. You see an overwhelming # of success stories? I must be missing them..

Is it really any easier/harder/different/better/worse/richer/poorer now than the past? Depending on who you ask, and from what angle they're looking, it's any or all of those things.

As for the OP - musicians are into music and the pursuit of great music moreso than the average listener. What's good enough for a casual fan who's too dedicated to his family and 9-5 to really get into music might not be enjoyable to you - but they don't know or care about the difference. It's like some people are not into sports while others cry over it.
    Last edited by IPM Music; 09-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IPM Music View Post
    To do what? Play music? Sure. If you want to play Rock, all you need is a guitar, or a guitar VST. Then what?

Take all the people on FP who use VSTs every day, to make (collectively) 1000's of tracks - forget about the entire rest of the VST-using world. You see an overwhelming # of success stories? I must be missing them..
    it's not about being successful or how hard it is to make a song, it's about not needing the records to sample if you want to make a beat. if i'm inspired by a trap song i can just turn on my DAW and make something...if i'm inspired by dj premier i have to listen to a bunch of jazz records until i find something to sample. that alone is telling me that the new producers ain't listening to other genres more then the old guys did

Thanks

Thanks
    When I was younger the majority of Hip Hop / Rap listeners that I fcuked with (Street cats) only listened to rap. A lot of them cats were...and unfortunately some still are...one dimensional. #RealTalk

Thread Information