The music we listen to has changed?

well...don't you think "new" producers spend less time listening to records (other genres) nowadays? to me that's narrowing, not expanding. after all they don't need to do it in order to make new songs. also, what makes you think "older" producers didn't listen to dance and pop?

I think the opposite I see newer producers spending more time listening to different genres. Especially as time goes on. I'm not saying older producers don't listen to dance and pop, but the dance and pop music of today wasn't around during their hey day's so it wasn't possible for them to listen to it. While current rappers, and producers have access to the same music from the past and also the current sounds. People who make me think like that are Kanye West, Kid Cuddi, Tyler the Creator, Frank Ocean. Mainly because these guys have reached across into the genres of EDM, Rock, tribal and acoustic folk music for inspiration for their current sounds.

your forgetting hammer...pop goes the weasel...and a bunch of other POP SONGS w hip hop 'elements'...real shit always comes out underground...ppl dont really go diggin in the crates or listening to pps shit when it does come out....the radio is a bad barometer for realness cause its a commercial entity...

it seems to me like what really separates different styles are the actual drum grooves and certain melody/harmony combox that become standard...or, if not standard, the copy cats come out to redo what they liked.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

good lyrics always enhance a song ...thats what electronic music doesnt connect woth as much people as it prob should...know y? cause making the right lyric or hook for a piece of music is so hard...most of the greats can only do it normally. music is like any other craft, the more you know about it, the easier it is to do, and the more it just kind of becomes a formula.

i mean, at the end of the day after all of the splitting of hairs is done your "beat" is nothing more than to a certain drum groove, which are limited, to, hopefully, sopme kind of melody, and, hopefully even further, the knowledge of harmony to help the melody "do wat it do"

knowledge is always the first roadblock in this game bec thru automation and computers...making music isnt also a physical endeavor. if you have a thoro knowledge of comps and MUSIC you can make it...but how many "producers" actually learned an instrument or understand mixing, mastering,a ll of it, its a huge job cause its a bunch of different skills, not just one, wghatever, the shits funs

your forgetting hammer...pop goes the weasel...and a bunch of other POP SONGS w hip hop 'elements'...real shit always comes out underground...ppl dont really go diggin in the crates or listening to pps shit when it does come out....the radio is a bad barometer for realness cause its a commercial entity...

it seems to me like what really separates different styles are the actual drum grooves and certain melody/harmony combox that become standard...or, if not standard, the copy cats come out to redo what they liked.

MC Hammer came from rap, these pop songs werent as normal then as it is now. You didnt have people like Celine Dion or Britney Spears trying to rap.

At the end of the day, there's just good music and bad music, irrespective of genre.

It's just that because of the availability of cracked software and an abundance of opportunists, HIP HOP has a disproportionately high amount of bad music. Like 90%. Other styles? Not so much.

You ever seen a ****ing blues band go into the studio and pop open fruity loops?

No.

i have its becoming common practice now to fuse live music with electronic music most notably and even most recently Daft Punk/Pharrel

Last edited:
Back