Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military or Music

Thanks

Military or Music

Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok here's my deal.around 7th grade(2002)I taught myself to make beats.they were a little on the terrible side but Ass years progressed I got better and better.fast forward 13 years later..basically I went from the soulja boy type tracks to the j cole,big Krit type beats,and I rap too.I'm very talented and music has always been my passion and it's what I want to do with my life,but at 26 with a fiancee and 3 children I can barely pay my rent let alone dedicate money and time to music .which brings me to thinking AIR FORCE. I was just wondering if any one else has been in this position and what decision did you make.my biggest fear is me signing a contract and then all of a sudden our ( guys I rap with) single is all over the radio..and I'm stuck.I also Don't wanna be too old and UN interested in it once I get out (I'd be about 33).Any advice would help.

Thanks
    You need to stop sacrificing the security of your family for your dream.

You're an adult. Your #1 priority is putting food on the table, and a roof over your family's head.

Rap isn't doing it.

My Bad - Prod by J.Troup

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j.troup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like what Troupe said. Also, some things to think about... I'm an Army vet. I spent 10 years with the 199th Army Band. My father was a 35-year-plus lifer; I was always going to go military (in my mind!) as a youth. Then I got close to graduating high school, and I said-- "What am I doing?!? I'm a musician!" So I opted out. YEARS later, I did join, but that was after I found out that you can be a musician in the military too! Nobody had explained that to me. Do you have any other (more traditional) musical skills? Can you play an instrument? Sing? Read music? If so, consider auditioning for a band slot. If you want to make steady, decent money, _and_ serve your country, that is one way to do it.

The other thing-- If you do go military, I like your Air Force idea a lot. The reason? Anyone who has been in the Army, Navy, or Marines will tell you. Go Air Force. The pay-scale for US military is uniform, but all of the other benefits are so much better. A lot of Army bases are adjacent to Air bases; the difference is night and day-- ghetto vs. Uptown. The Air Force has the best of everything, and their people are generally treated very well.

Hope everything works out. PM me if you have any questions, and I'll try to answer (not a recruiter!).

GJ

Thanks
    Yea homie, i'm with Troup on this one.

Thanks
    You need to make the choice cause the you're approaching the Air Force age limit I think it's 33 and you gotta do all that training

Thanks
    ​Go with the music idea. It sounds irresponsible and foolish. But you have to take a chance on yourself. If it doesn't work out after a year, go to the military.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desire Inspires;4***8908
    ​Go with the music idea. It sounds irresponsible and foolish. But you have to take a chance on yourself. If it doesn't work out after a year, go to the military.

It takes way more than a year to establish a music business.

My Bad - Prod by J.Troup

Thanks
    Go Military. Do Music on the side.

Thanks
    If u love music enough there should be no choice ' do u live to be creative or to take orders and be trained to help make war ' if u need money to support ur family maybe get a normal job and make music in your spare time ' but if air force is something u really want And ur gonna regret if u don't then do it ' obviously u can make music in ur time off - but prob will be tricky - I say music and normal job for money

Thanks
    A couple thoughts..

I agree with Troup. With 3 kids and a wedding on the way, providing financial stability for your family should probably be your #1 priority.

And 33 is definitely not "too old" to make a run at a music career. In fact, my most financially successful times in music have come in the past 3-4 years (I am 35).

Thread Information