Mel Man Producer Of Dr.Dres 2001?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VaultBoy412

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel-Man

How many of yall know who mel man is? probably not many..

funny how this industry works, mel man is from my city Pittsburgh , PA.

He produced every single track on Dr.Dre's Chronic 2001 Except "The Message" , Where / What is he doing now? I'm not sure but probably not doing much , His son lives by my girls old house I do know that..

Fellow Aftermath producer Focus has credited Mel-Man as a key architect in the current Aftermath sound

Is it wild 2 think that , someone not from the "west coast" helped, or single handedly created that sound?

Hes probably my biggest inspiration, being that Pittsburgh , is nothing more than a crabs in the bucket type city..

I just wonder if he ever got paid, or what ever happened.. people don't really talk about it all like that..

Thoughts? thanks

Older producers possibly , but todays producers.. more than likely not.

yeah fam this is old news. a lot of people know mel man made most of those beats. Its in the damn book with the cd. Scott Storch did a good amount of work on the album too. From what I understand Dr Dres entire work enviroment is more like a jam session anyway. he does drums and has other people playing other parts and then he raps on the sessions the turn out how he likes.

Not saying he wasn't credited, I just wish he would be as big as dr.dre is currently.. Dre is a household name, mel man's name isn't

Dude...why u bringing up OLD, DUMB SH*T???

Mel Man should be a household name like Dre? Dre been putting in CLASSIC work since 1985. Dre is one of the FATHER'S of Gangsta-Rap.

And u want Mel Man to be as big as Dre because he did a couple beats??

Everybody knows that Mel Man and Scott Storch (along with Mike Elizondo) were contributors to Dre's 2001. That's common knowledge.

Everybody knows that Dr. Dre has a team of producers that works with him to craft the beats. Just like Timbaland. Just like Polow...and every other producer in the game.

Mel Man left Dr. Dre's camp shortly after 2001 dropped, to strike out on his own. And what's he doing now? He's right back recording with Dr. Dre, helping craft the sounds that will become Detox. Along with Hi-Tek. Along with Just Blaze. Along with Mike Elizondo.

So what's your point???

Dude...why u bringing up OLD, DUMB SH*T???

Mel Man should be a household name like Dre? Dre been putting in CLASSIC work since 1985. Dre is one of the FATHER'S of Gangsta-Rap.

And u want Mel Man to be as big as Dre because he did a couple beats??

Everybody knows that Mel Man and Scott Storch (along with Mike Elizondo) were contributors to Dre's 2001. That's common knowledge.

Everybody knows that Dr. Dre has a team of producers that works with him to craft the beats. Just like Timbaland. Just like Polow...and every other producer in the game.

Mel Man left Dr. Dre's camp shortly after 2001 dropped, to strike out on his own. And what's he doing now? He's right back recording with Dr. Dre, helping craft the sounds that will become Detox. Along with Hi-Tek. Along with Just Blaze. Along with Mike Elizondo.

So what's your point???

Last edited:
Damn, Johnny Juliano got crapped on again, lol.

Mel Man is tight though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mel Man definitely laid down the foundation for what is now Aftermath Records. If I'm not mistaken, Mel Man is back in the Aftermath camp. He tried to strike out on his own with a few other defectors with no success. People get too big for their britches sometimes. Being under Dr.Dre's tutelage is a very lucrative arrangement. No need to strike out on your own.

I'm from Pittsburgh too, and I give Dre his full credit, but Pittsburgh in general were architects of the West Coast sound, more specifically Dre's West Coast sound ... ever since Death Row, Pittsburgh producers were responsible for moving the sound away from the Parliament influenced g-funk sound into what Dre's sound is now ... first you had Sam Sneed, then you had Stu-B-Doo who brought on the orchestra sound (that Dre continued to work on with Scott Storch & now Mark Batson) and went on to give the sound to other West Coast artists like Ras Kass, you had Bud'da who did most of Westside Connection's debut, along with work for Tupac & Ice Cube, you had Mel-Man, who co-produced 2001 & stuff for Eminem, Xzibit ... if you look on the Dre Presents the Aftermath CD, you see that picture with all them Pittsburgh people on it, Stu & Bud did the majority of the production on that album, and you had the rapper & Mel-Man who produced & rapped on there ... when Dre left Death Row to start Aftermath, the foundation was supposed to be Sam Sneed & his Street Scholars camp, Sneed ended up leaving the West, but Stu, Bud & Mel stuck around, and Mel ended up bringing in more artists, like Infinite who did writing on The Wash soundtrack & Joe Beast who was on The Wash & 8 Mile soundtracks

I'm from Pittsburgh too, and I give Dre his full credit, but Pittsburgh in general were architects of the West Coast sound, more specifically Dre's West Coast sound ... ever since Death Row, Pittsburgh producers were responsible for moving the sound away from the Parliament influenced g-funk sound into what Dre's sound is now ... first you had Sam Sneed, then you had Stu-B-Doo who brought on the orchestra sound (that Dre continued to work on with Scott Storch & now Mark Batson) and went on to give the sound to other West Coast artists like Ras Kass, you had Bud'da who did most of Westside Connection's debut, along with work for Tupac & Ice Cube, you had Mel-Man, who co-produced 2001 & stuff for Eminem, Xzibit ... if you look on the Dre Presents the Aftermath CD, you see that picture with all them Pittsburgh people on it, Stu & Bud did the majority of the production on that album, and you had the rapper & Mel-Man who produced & rapped on there ... when Dre left Death Row to start Aftermath, the foundation was supposed to be Sam Sneed & his Street Scholars camp, Sneed ended up leaving the West, but Stu, Bud & Mel stuck around, and Mel ended up bringing in more artists, like Infinite who did writing on The Wash soundtrack & Joe Beast who was on The Wash & 8 Mile soundtracks

Dr.Dre introduced G-Funk to the West Coast scene (which originally sounded like PE/Bomb Squad). Now the West Coast sounds like a polished version of G-Funk. So to say Pittsburgh laid the blueprint for modern day West Coast is very laughable. All Dr.Dre did was introduce G-Funk and later merged it with hardcore movie scoring style composition. I should know...I live here.

Dr.Dre introduced G-Funk to the West Coast scene (which originally sounded like PE/Bomb Squad). Now the West Coast sounds like a polished version of G-Funk. So to say Pittsburgh laid the blueprint for modern day West Coast is very laughable. All Dr.Dre did was introduce G-Funk and later merged it with hardcore movie scoring style composition. I should know...I live here.

Yup...G-Funk foundation was laid on NWA's album Efil4Zaggin. You can hear the beginnings of G-Funk all over it.

I'm not saying they brought it on, maybe the way I worded "bringing it from G-Funk", what I'm saying it is bringing the sound AWAY from the G-Funk sound into what Dre's sound is today ... now outside of Dre's camp, a lot of the West Coast sound is more upbeat and bouncy and is more influenced by people like DJ Quik's sound, but Pittsburgh producers put down the foundation of Dre's sound during the transition from Death Row to Aftermath all the way to The Wash, and their side work with people like Ras Kass, Westside Connection & Xzibit helped to spread what they were doing throughout the West, not taking away anything from the Jelly Roll's and the Quik's and everyone else, but as early as Murder Was the Case, we were deep up in that camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back