Maybe the orderliness is FP's problem....

Isk2009

DamnSonWhere'dYaFindThis?
In my time being a member here I've noticed that:

• When the music breakroom was created, there was a dip in traffic

• When Modus was permabanned, there was a dip in traffic

• When Robot Sunset Extreme was permabanned, there was a dip in traffic

• When Tha Wiizard was banned the first time, there was a dip in traffic

• When Teacher 1- 14/ lisa was banned, there was a dip in traffic

• When N.I. Beatz was banned there was dip in traffic

Did the lack of orderliness help keep things poppin?

Before the music breakroom was created, all of the non-music related threads were posted in this section along with the music threads, and they helped to distract people from the occasional lulls in relevant music news. Some of those topics were actually very interesting and discussion worthy, just not music related. But now since they have all been stowed away in some corner, no one feels like going to check those threads out because they're a few more mouse clicks away as opposed to right under the music related topic you were just discussing. On top of that people now take forever to reply in those threads, so conversation is pretty much a no-go.

You have to admit N.I. Beatz and Teacher had some pretty good threads/posts, but they were just really annoying with their presentation of them.

Modus kept a bunch visitors coming through just because of his music threads alone. On top of that some of his posts were so controversial that they kept people's attention and discussion continued.

RSE and Tha Wiizard also made a lot of controversial threads/posts that held peoples attention away from dead periods of music news.

But now that the mods are doing their jobs well and have cracked down on all the BS and such, this place has become so much less like the wild west, and you now fully notice that there may not be much music related news to discuss at all at times.

Maybe the unruliness was partially responsible for keeping this place alive, like a yin yang kinda thing, and choking out the unruliness threw FP off it's equilibrium. Now that this section is such a graveyard, ALL the regular posters are dropping like flies and not just the troublemakers.

Maybe instead of moving to eliminate the mess altogether, we should've just kept it in check and FP would still be balanced and people would still be coming through. This section was like a barbershop where people would come to shoot the sh!t about music and life in general. You don't have different sections of discussion in a barbershop, its just one room and whatever topic gains momentum is the topic that will be discussed. It could be that FP needed to maintain that kind of environment instead of trying to capture one like Gearslutz or some other forums have. Thats what made this place unique.

Perhaps there was a time where FP could thrive without the crap, but idk, I've only been here since mid 09.

I'm not suggesting that anything should happen, this is just an observation/theory.

Care to discuss?

You have some valid points. people like rse and teacher did keep things alive but in a negative way. with each flame war and insane battle over pointless topics, FP became more and more known to be a place for bulls@#$@ers. they would attract more bs'ers and the vicious cycle would continue.

What we are experiencing now is a sort of Chemotherapy if you will in that a lot of good people went down with all the bad. the good however will eventually grow back. FP will eventually get that good rep again of being the place to go when you need answers on anything music related and life will go on. people like the ones you named (minus modus who in my opinion actually did what you were supposed to do here; MUSIC) were to this site what Glenn Beck was to fox news; EMPTY CALORIES.
they brought big ratings (like beck) but they were pointless because all ratings are for are audiences for advertising, and no one wanted to advertise on that show.
people coming here to learn something about lets say where to put there music up for example will quickly turn away as they are gonna find a thousand threads from teacher 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, NI BEATS, Mark Kenneth (all the same guy) about how pmp is a scam with no proof (all the threads turn in to flame wars and charles mansion-esque manifesto). once all this burns itself out the place will be good again.

You have some valid points. people like rse and teacher did keep things alive but in a negative way. with each flame war and insane battle over pointless topics, FP became more and more known to be a place for bulls@#$@ers. they would attract more bs'ers and the vicious cycle would continue.

What we are experiencing now is a sort of Chemotherapy if you will in that a lot of good people went down with all the bad. the good however will eventually grow back. FP will eventually get that good rep again of being the place to go when you need answers on anything music related and life will go on. people like the ones you named (minus modus who in my opinion actually did what you were supposed to do here; MUSIC) were to this site what Glenn Beck was to fox news; EMPTY CALORIES.
they brought big ratings (like beck) but they were pointless because all ratings are for are audiences for advertising, and no one wanted to advertise on that show.
people coming here to learn something about lets say where to put there music up for example will quickly turn away as they are gonna find a thousand threads from teacher 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, NI BEATS, Mark Kenneth (all the same guy) about how pmp is a scam with no proof (all the threads turn in to flame wars and charles mansion-esque manifesto). once all this burns itself out the place will be good again.

That's a very good point. An lol @ "charles manson-esque manifesto". Hopefully FP does bounce back. That's something that I failed to mention being that, it has come back from those dips. But it seems like those comebacks are always in spurts. There will be a day or two where conversations are poppin in between fairly long periods of drought. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem like FP recovered to be quite as strong as it was before modus was banned.

And even back then when there was all that BS happening in this section, people weren't really allowed to post their music here anyway and it was banished to the review section, lol. When you mentioned the empty calorie analogy, thats kind of what I was getting at by saying keep it in check. Just as how people start leaving when no one posts, on the opposite end of the spectrum is when people leave because there is too much BS going on. Maybe don't eliminate ALL of it, but keep it in moderation. But I suppose there's no real fair and consistant way to do that when it comes to being a mod though..

I honestly miss some of those long non-music related convos, but now they just don't get going anymore because the music breakroom just doesn't get traffic like that. There's a good thread in there right now that I bet would have 30 replies by now if it was posted here.

And I'm not taking sides, I'm just using my objective swag right now, lol

Last edited:
lol @ "objective swag"! lol
I feel you, some of them convos were pretty interesting.
i've never visited the music breakroom before. think i'll go check it out.

If they had been consistently doing their jobs from jump street, you wouldn't have been able to build a case on this. Those people wouldn't have built up a head of steam.

It's more of a testament to what happens when you aren't 100% committed to a course of action in business, and what can result.

^ Very true, but the fact is that they weren't doing their jobs consistently from the start and that environment did come to be. Some of that BS was totally unnecessary, but in my opinion, it wasn't ALL bad when things were like that. There was all kinds of knowledge being spread in some of those threads...even the totally stupid ones when people with common sense would come to set things straight.

But maybe it's just a situation where FP isn't and shouldn't have ever been the place for that. I mean thats fair, but hey if a person can learn something about music or life, is it really a bad thing?

Again #ObjectiveSwag

It went down when the last post banner thing at the top disappeared. It's a good thing it's not there anymore....it gets people in trouble. Have you up a little longer because an interesting topic would pop up and you say, "this my last thread for today".........2 hours later you say "got dammit, they got me again"!

^ Yeah maybe that did have an effect. I for one never used that thing though, I just went to go find topics, lol.

^^^^I couldn't help it. lol Miss seeing a topic like "I'm The King Of Fruity Loops" flashing big at the top and laughing knowing the pages will be full of people who use fruity loops doggin him out. Or "How Do I Make My Beats Loud" and it turning into a scientific battle with engineers breaking things down.

Is Fps value based on how many views it gets or the quality of the material there? Sounds like people are mad that the views are gone yet much of the material was of low quality.

^ Nah, I'm not mad or sending any shots or saying anything should change at all. I only posted this thread because I see other members talk about how ish is so dead and I was providing, like I said, a theory as to why that may be and wanted to see what other people had to say about it.

For a forum to work well it needs to be well organized but to become a community it needs both regular posters and off topic discussions, unfortunately quarantining off topic discussions can be a bit like trying to organize something that is supposed to be random and spontaneous.

To All FP members and the lurkers too,
I gotta believe that each and every poster needs to look at themselves and ask what value are you bringing to FP? Cats like Modus and Statixx drop quality music (completed projects) in here, you may not like Modus perspective or attitude but the music is on point no denying that. Foot organizing weekly challenges definitely adds quality and makes it more than just somethin to read. Brass City brings in the Hip Hop news, Jaylip brought a podcast, Pete Marriot drops some old school insider knowledge/perspective and BiggRome threads always got views, content and quality topics worth discussin...I'm missin some folks but you get the idea. Want a better FP then make it better by adding your own content with some real substance. Lurkers sign up then join in and add value to a discussion whether you agree or not.

JMO
:cheers:

Last edited:
Ahhhh shit. I should have forseen this...
I did but I am not worried about it. If I were RSE would have been IP banned some time ago. Dudes a troll but I am sure if he did not have FP in his life he would likely slit his wrists. Whats also funny is that cats get banned for doing the same shit that they were told not to do for some time now. They get banned and get mad at me like they were not warned. But I think the drop in FP usership has more to do with the redesign than anything. People take things for face value and don't really look too deep into anything. They also have little to no patience for anything anymore. They complained about the White backdrop on day one and left even though they were told they could change it a couple hours later. Oh well though shit happens

Truthfully, I don't know if it's the section or the people... there's not a lot exciting happening in Hip Hop right now.

I don't listen to much of the new crop. The Lupe CD, The Wiz CD... ehhh... I still like making the music but as far as a talk section surviving I don't know. There's ONE female rapper, Lil B and Riff Raff from MTV have the most vids out... rapper drama get more press than their music.

... plus if you post something, nobody keeps the discussion going... so ...

and I got tired of threads going left field just because I posted in 'em. Ish got old (finally).

Truthfully, I don't know if it's the section or the people...

... plus if you post something, nobody keeps the discussion going... so ...

and I got tired of threads going left field just because I posted in 'em. Ish got old (finally).

The people...def the people.

You knew if a thread was started by (drama starters name here) it was going to be pages and pages of pure ignorance.

The drama was addicting yet the ignorance was frustrating.

And then someone turned the lights on and scared all the roaches away.....

Last edited:
Back