Mannie Fresh Says “What Happened To The East Coast Sound” and...

.....bang bang.

<iframe src='http://www.reverbnation.com/widget_code/html_widget/artist_632317?widget_id=50&posted_by=artist_632317&pwc[design]=default&pwc[background_color]=%23333333&pwc[included_songs]=1&pwc[photo]=1%2C0&pwc[size]=undefined' width='400' height='370' class='widget_iframe' frameborder='0' scrolling='no'></iframe>

The East Coast/New York sound is nowadays just called "hip hop" and its used by artists from all regions and is still relevant to this day. When you hear French Montana's "Shot Caller", Nick Minaj's "Moment in Life", Rick Ross/Jay-Z/Dre "3 Kings", Kanye/Jay-Z "Otis", various Mac Miller, J Cole, Jay Electronica records etc..its still present just not at the forefront because mainstream rap music has become mostly club music due to where the money is at (club > record sales) and its the money that ends up dictating which direction the music trends to in most cases. Trap and its various formats along with LA Club/Hyphy fits the bill the best

Where does the DJ on your local radio station that is being paid peanuts go to make his real bread n butter? THE CLUB
Where does the rapper that can't sell no real album sales anymore have to cater to make his real bread n butter? THE CLUB

Its the current forces of economics in the game that has lead to a lack of better diversity in mainstream rap music in terms of sound

^^^^^true!! And a lot of those DJ's DJ at the clubs live on the radio. So if you get it played at the clubs that are live on the radio and you have a song that keeps up with the pace of the other songs then you are "live on the radio". $$$$ to the DJ goes a long way.

Another thing about the radio is I think a lot of them have segments where local artist can have the listeners rate their music hot or flop. And from what I hear, music that sounds too underground and too deep or not so commercial or could sound commercial but has many flaws...gets the flop! No matter how good the idea is. A bad mix doesn't matter......a flawed mix does. Meaning the vocals too loud or too much delay effects or just smashed too all hell or terrible mic techniques or muddy...instant flop. But the mix itself with a good quality song structure is a go. And that applies to the club also. Spend the bread and have flaws.....you get the 30 second spin treatment then NEXT. lol! I hear it all the time. Hear a couple of songs for 30 seconds and never hear them ever again.

This should be motivation for the eastcoast/ NY rappers but is it?

Has NY lost it's swagger?

as a city? never
as rappers go? yes i think they have a little bit. Just takes a little reinvention. The Westcoast went through it for how long post Pac/Dre/Snoop? It just takes a lot of unity and some creative minds to really push things together and focus on the things that matter

Less time worrying about Waynes opinion on the state, and more making records that would make a Wayne wanna fly out to NY just to record a guest verse on a remix.

at the end of the day like Rice & LD are saying.. its all about the music. I dont hear enough new NY artists, and when i do they are far from impressive, or theyre still battle rapping on the corner like Murda Mook or something lol.

thats why im glad TDE & Kendrick Lamar are kinda popping off,you dont have to be corny or be "mainstream" to succeed, you just gotta work and make the music and be good at it

This should be motivation for the eastcoast/ NY rappers but is it?

Has NY lost it's swagger?

But the issue Mannie Fresh is bringing up is about the different regional SOUNDS (lack thereof) not the individual artists themselves coming out of NY or anywhere else. Who said that N.Y. MUST have x amount of artist at the forefront of hip hop at any moment just because it originated from the 5 Boroughs? Soul/R&B/Funk originated from The South but after a while you had a good majority of the scene happening in Detroit, Ohio, Illinois, Cali and other places. By the time the Philly Soul movement took over Stax Records was on the downswing, just to give a little historic perspective to this. Music moves around as it suppose to do and its not only in Hip Hop.

In regards to artists last I checked Nicki Minaj is currently one of the biggest acts in the game, Jigga still selling platinum 16 yrs later, Nas dropped a critically acclaimed album that went #1 this year, Azealia Banks dropped a hit record (212), A$AP Rocky/MOB is officially on the map making noise and as mentioned dudes like Action Bronson and few others are on the creep up. Not bad for a city on the downswing....If you're talking about the QUALITY of acts coming out of NYC then I would be the first to say it could definitely be better but that's what happen when everybody starts chasing the quick corporate dollar by focusing on revenues instead of building careers

Last edited:
Half of my family still lives in Queens and the Bronx. It's a different era, different generation and different attitude. Many New York artists today grew up listening to rappers from different states. I remember when I visited New York around 98 and dudes wear listening to the Hot Boys, Master P and wearing white tees like they did in the south. That's when that song Bling Bling was really popular. New York lost it's identity after the Rocafella, Dipset G Unit era. Just look at the gang culture there today. I still love the old school artists from New York. New York still has what they call the big 3: 50, Jay and Puff who are more like executives at this point in their career. I heard 50 just applied for his boxing promoter license.

Last edited:
Half of my family still lives in Queens and the Bronx. It's a different era, different generation and different attitude. Many New York artists today grew up listening to rappers from different states. I remember when I visited New York around 98 and dudes wear listening to the Hot Boys, Master P and wearing white tees like they did in the south. That's when that song Bling Bling was really popular. New York lost it's identity after the Rocafella, Dipset G Unit era. Just look at the gang culture there today. I still love the old school artists from New York.

YES, the N.Y. that birthed Hip Hop NO LONGER EXISTS! 3/4 of the hoods are experiencing moderate to significant amount of gentrification with a huge amount of transplants coming from the midwest taking over (hipster) at the same time a large amount of africian-americans moved back Down South taking alot of the 'soul of the city' with them and are being replaced by black West Indians that are listening more to Vybz Kartel and Popcaan than the latest mixtape from Jadakiss and Fabolous. The overbearing police state, corporate big boxes knocking out the little unique vendors and trust fund out of towners have 'sterilized' the city and the overall 'hip hop feel' has taken a hit along with it.

Last edited:
YES, the N.Y. that birthed Hip Hop NO LONGER EXISTS! 3/4 of the hoods are experiencing moderate to significant amount of gentrification with a huge amount of transplants coming from the midwest taking over (hipster) at the same time a large amount of africian-americans moved back Down South taking alot of the 'soul of the city' with them and are being replaced by black West Indians that are listening more to Vybz Kartel and Popcaan than the latest mixtape from Jadakiss and Fabolous. The overbearing police state, corporate big boxes knocking out the little unique vendors and trust fund out of towners have 'sterilized' the city and the overall 'hip hop feel' has taken a hit along with it.

That's the same thing my aunt says. My cousin joked about how New York is so gentrified, he saw white people walking on 125th St by the Apollo at midnight with no fear whatsoever. My uncle grew up in New York during the Ed Koch/David Dinkins era. His New York stories are so interesting, all I needed was some popcorn and I'd be entertained for hours.

In my opinion NY dont have hip hop on lock no more and wont for another 2-4 years

hip-hop is unlike any other genre each hip hop has sub genres which are split into coasts and each has gotten shine but as of right now hip hop as a whole doesnt have enough shine the EDM scene has the shine right now

I'm a HUGE HIP HOP & EDM fan but I have to admit the edm scene will come down in a few more years

I have a good amount of knowledge on music for my age

and as of right now

EDM as a whole is ruling

but

the east coast has spanish music popping
west coast has the EDM

the south has trap music(not including miami cause their on the EDM scene also)

THere are still a few east coast producers out killing shit LIke Cardiak and Jahlil Beats.. but they too make trap beats.. but it's want their customers want.. and the customer is always right...

I've said it once in the Hip Hop class that I teach @ Temple University and I'll say it again, it all has to do with the fickle fans. NY was always the mecca for true MC's with lyrical dexterity, cadence, flow etc. The rest of the country, in part, just didn't have the feel of true HIP HOP with powerfull MC's with different feels (not cookie cutter). But as time went on, more people from other regions of the country got into the game and fans from other parts of the country embraced those artists from there region, even if the sound and lyrics were trash, elementary at best.

The fans dictate who is hot (sales, fame etc). If someone came out in a monkey suit with a banana mic, spitting garbage, but it was embraced for being different, that person becomes a star with little or no talent. Then you'll have copy catters that will do the same thing but with a twist and he/she will be the next star. The bottom line is that the fans LOVE a gimmick, not necessarily talent. Look at all the talentless people today in reality tv, other genres of music, entertainment etc. The world is getting dummied down and it will only get worse.

When anything moves away from it's origin, in many cases it gets watered down or weaker. That how I see Hip Hop today. As a DJ and Producer, I've grown weary of how the industry has become so one demensional. The sound seems all the same and the microwave artists have NO longevity because the talent is lacking. Nas once said "Hip Hop is dead", but I believe it's alive and kicking it's just underground now. The new phrase should be the "radio is dead!!!"

Back