Making Tracks without a midi controller? mouse only?

Desmond *A*

Ok, im wondering how this is done, ive heard quiet of few crazy beats done this way, but im wondering how? im on FL studio also and the process seems extremely difficult. Like how do u play ur progressions? whats the process.

well you can find chords and progressions on your keyboard... or if you know chords then that would probly help... if u listen to alot of the clicked in beats they're not really complex melodies... its not that much of a different process just more time consuming I used to click in my beats when i first started and i hope i never have to do that again lol

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

theres no rule saying if you don't have a midi controller you can only use your mouse lol how many ppl are using a computer with only a mouse no keyboard

Ok, im wondering how this is done, ive heard quiet of few crazy beats done this way, but im wondering how? im on FL studio also and the process seems extremely difficult. Like how do u play ur progressions? whats the process.
all my beats are done with a mouse mostly i will fool around on my midi board for some melodies but actually playin them in im quite bad at and yes it can be quite tedious.... just to branch off the topic but also stay on it does anyone else think beat making videos with just clicking are lame as hell???

well you can find chords and progressions on your keyboard... or if you know chords then that would probly help... if u listen to alot of the clicked in beats they're not really complex melodies... its not that much of a different process just more time consuming I used to click in my beats when i first started and i hope i never have to do that again lol

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

theres no rule saying if you don't have a midi controller you can only use your mouse lol how many ppl are using a computer with only a mouse no keyboard

At first I thought only "Trap Beat' producers did the click ins until i saw the Surf club drop the world beat making video, I thought that progression was pretty melodic...

progressions?

you just click and shit.

:rofl: :rofl:

I started out clicking a mouse. Nothing wrong at all. But if people start bragging about it then they surely are missing the full potential that they have. I don't think anyone should limit theyself to a mouse...if it's all you can afford that's diferent, though. Nothing like punching the shit out of a pad just for one exploding sound fx where you want the MF with no quantize....it feels good! Twisting knobs, riding faders, velocity, ect.

Last edited:
Catanya... learn about it.

It's flat out cheating and I've come to think it's wack but I can't stop using it...

At first I thought only "Trap Beat' producers did the click ins until i saw the Surf club drop the world beat making video, I thought that progression was pretty melodic...

I dunno I love that song but to me that beat seems pretty basic lol it is pretty melodic but its not a very complex progression just very good production quality n like he said good counter melodies.. I'm pretty sure he only clicked in that main progression that sounds like an arp, which is pretty easy

Catanya... learn about it.

It's flat out cheating and I've come to think it's wack but I can't stop using it...
Once again, Big Rome droppin bombs.. Like every time I have made a huge stride with my beats, its due to something this dude has posted.

Big Rome for president

Just loaded up a couple synths into that thing and already I got the hottest beat ive done going on here lmfaoo.

Last edited:

It really isn't difficult, You just need to have a good feel of how an instrument or whatever naturally sounds. You can do a lot w/ just a mouse, it really just requires patience and a decent attention to detail.

Just finished this track today..
http://iskbeats.bandcamp.com/track/cruze-muzik

Well that progression was used with an arpegiator.

Go into the presets in Sytrus since you use FL. The sound is a preset called "Cube".

Might sound weird but sometimes when I'm in a slump, I'll go to mousing and see what I can do.. it makes me think differently and can help spark me

Does anyone use harmony improvisator? its a beast with the chords just press one key and you got a full chord progression

used to do it like that on logic. cut up the samps on th escreen and rearrange.
but looking back on it now, to me it was just too slow to make a decent beat. i dont think it adds potential just allows you to enter the music game

hey im still trying to figure out how poeple make non sampled beats with just an mpc and no keys.
when i first saw the mpc5000 i was like "synths? to play with what?"

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

used to do it like that on logic. cut up the samps on th escreen and rearrange.
but looking back on it now, to me it was just too slow to make a decent beat. i dont think it adds potential just allows you to enter the music game
you ever pressed the "Caps lock" button while in logic. it lets you place the keyboard like a piano.

Back