Madvillain:2 tracks done with only a SP 303 and...

BenL

From Stones Throw
Two tracks on Madvillainy ("Rhinestone Cowboy", "Strange Ways") were produced using a portable turntable and a Boss SP303 sampler [1] by Madlib in Brazil.

^F***n crazy!!! That album is hot two. Anyone else thinkin madlibs a genius?

I tried it the other day...only my mp with a turntable for sounds and it ended up grimy as hell...How many other cats relying on just records for sounds?

madlib is crazy. i remember hearing he uses the 303. he's sick. mf doom is pretty sick on the raps and beats too.

BenL said:
From Stones Throw
Two tracks on Madvillainy ("Rhinestone Cowboy", "Strange Ways") were produced using a portable turntable and a Boss SP303 sampler [1] by Madlib in Brazil.

^F***n crazy!!! That album is hot two. Anyone else thinkin madlibs a genius?

I tried it the other day...only my mp with a turntable for sounds and it ended up grimy as hell...How many other cats relying on just records for sounds?

i think u'r missing the point of what's so amazing about that. the SP303 is and exteremly limited sampler. its just for sampling little loops. it has more of a purpose for DJ's. it doesn't even have much of a screen.
doing that with an MPC is actually pretty common. the 303 is probably only 25% of an MPC (and that's being generous.)

u'r right about him bein a genius though.

check out the 303
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/PRODUCTS/EN/SP-303/

^ik about the 303....its like the 404 with litte to no screen and sh!t....
I just did the only thing i could do to replicate that type of sh!t...its not like im gonna buy a 404 or a 303 just to try it cuz i got an mp at home...

i c what ur saying...ik why its amazin.

yes..madlib has his gear down to a science. and he just keeps getting better..Supreme Team with Kareem Riggins should be interesting. The remix he did for Dilla I Need The $ is one of his illest beats yet.

I have an sp-303...and that **** is amazing...I don't know How he the **** he pulled that off...When I first found that out I was like yo I quit...lol. It's just proof that- like Madlib say "it aint what you got it's how you use it"

madlib's a genius. He finds great samples, and he's got a mean vintage synth game as well (Over The Counter with Kweli for example). I've been a fan for a while, i'm surprised most people haven't taken notice.
i heard he makes an hour's worth of music some days.

^^no it's not, he uses that a lot. But he also uses MPC4000 and an SP1200. sorry, i'm just a nerd fan, reading about his processes inspires me.

what i mean is it is his main piece though.

Last edited:
^^ maybe the best lyrics too. He's really sayin something.
i like Fancy Clown as the best beat. Dooms got some funny lyrics in that one too.

Back