Korg Triton, Hip Hop's Greatest Instrument?

S

SKUNK2

I was bored today, and decided to just browse through some of my triton's presets to look for some inspiration. i soon realized that the korg triton, is probably the most renowned synth in popular music today.

i make this topic because i just got word that korg is in the middle of finishing the layout for their next flagship synth workstation, as the triton as been around for quite a few years now. it is my opinion that in overal presence in popular music today, the korg triton is the king of all synths.

as i begin to retire this synth, ( i plan on selling it to purchase a motif ES) i have to say that this is perhaps the greatest synth hip hop has ever known. along with the mpc, emu, and asr 10, the triton will be remembered as a vital instrument that played a huge role in the sound of hip hop. even today, triton presets still beat out the motif and roland in popular music. sure it sounds a bit cheezy in some categories, but its that cheap, thin, compressed, "neptune" sound that has made the triton the beast that it is.

i guess as i opt for the more realistic, refined motif ES, i am making this thread as a tribute to probably the greatest hip hop synth that we have ever known. if you own one of these beasts you know exactly how prevalent its sounds are in popular music. i am gonna miss my first synth, but i need some change, some new sounds, but still, i think no other synth will have as much dominance, even the ES, as the triton did in hip hop. cheers korg and thank you for this legendary piece of musical equipment.

Do you work for Korg?

EDIT: Before anyone else comes in trying to look clever, isn't the "voice" Hip-Hop's greatest instrument?

Last edited by a moderator:
the motif is the greatest.

i plan to tattoo the yamaha tuning forks across my gut. thug life style.

i am a gear junkie.... i mean i spend 6-7 hours every day with my gear, so i guess you can call it a pretty intimate relationship. ya im a freak, a nerd, a dork, whatever, but when your locked up in your room for 6 hours straight with gear trying to make music you start to understand. i just had to make a tribute thread to the triton before i sell it, the greatest synth ever. some people fall in love with their cars, their dogs, just hobbies in general, for me it was my triton.

SKUNK2 said:
i am a gear junkie.... i mean i spend 6-7 hours every day with my gear, so i guess you can call it a pretty intimate relationship. ya im a freak, a nerd, a dork, whatever, but when your locked up in your room for 6 hours straight with gear trying to make music you start to understand. i just had to make a tribute thread to the triton before i sell it, the greatest synth ever. some people fall in love with their cars, their dogs, just hobbies in general, for me it was my triton.

That's cool. Do you.

I understand what you are saying. The Triton sounds are used all of the time by producers. If you turn on the radio now, there is a good chance that you will hear some Triton sounds in the song.

That's the reason that I don't have one. I don't want to sound like everybody elses $#!T.

Da Knut said:
I understand what you are saying. The Triton sounds are used all of the time by producers. If you turn on the radio now, there is a good chance that you will hear some Triton sounds in the song.

That's the reason that I don't have one. I don't want to sound like everybody elses $#!T.

...And that folks is exactly why some of you lazy b@stards need to learn how to program your OWN F^%KIN' SOUNDS!

For everyone who bytches about Triton sounds being used up, it's SOOOOOO AMAZING how none of these cats can name songs other than "Keepin it Gangsta" or "Grindin" as tracks definitely made with the Triton. I can throw in "Gimme The Light" and "Get Your Freak On" as well as name the actual presets. What about you? Better yet, what about you layering and editing these "Triton Sounds". Yeah, might take some time trying to edit them inside of your local Sam Ash. :rolleyes:

In reference to this tribute, I too am a loyal Korg user, but ummm we should get a few things straight. If you're really worried about using realistic sounds....I mean...why are you using a synth? If anything you wouldn't sell the Triton. The smart man might buy a few sample cd's that use REAL GUITAR SAMPLES. Yellow Tools Guitars is a perfect example. Just load them up in the Triton and go to work. * You might have to use CDExtract to convert the samples though* Then you have piano samples...orchestral...whatever.

Lastly, the only cats who could possibly have a real problem with dude's tribute are the broke f%$ks who can't afford it. There's no way you can deny the Triton's dominance in hip hop over the past few years. Oh wait...maybe another 5 years have to go by for the "haters" to jump on it's dick like they do with that buggy a$$ ASR-10. Yeah that'll make ya look REALLY COOL!

Yup, that's it.

Last edited:
the Motif ES is the end all as far as i'm concerned. i'm not surprised Skunk is selling his beloved Triton for one. i've never been big on gear lust until i fooled around with the ES a couple of months ago. now, i happen to notice things like the armoured car driver leaving the door open to get some air. and i find myself watching HEAT quite often.

HELL YEA! TRITON (particularly STUDIO) is the BEST INSTRUMENT! MWAHAHAHA :))

Don't hate, appreciate!

There you have it ladies and gentlemen the lines have been drawn.

The triton....cough P.O.S cough cough. If you think so to each their own. I'ma stick wit the motif.

Last edited:
The turntable is more important to hip-hop than any synth will be or will ever be. The triton is a collection of sounds programmed by some middle aged men. The turntable is the foundation for the genre of music that we listen to. Or wait, maybe drums in general are the most important instrument to hip-hop.

These are even hotter than a Triton. You need to stop promoting yourself and get a real musical instrument.

mkz200.jpg

Jos

Last edited:
I feel you skunk, the triton is the most used synth in hip hop today. I was just talking about that with my cousin the other day. It's not just dominant in hip hop but almost all ohter genres. If you ever see a live performance on t.v regardless the network i.e Mtv, Bet, Vh1 you'll see a Triton on the stage everytime. I don't know any other snyth that has been used as much as the triton has, I hear it in about 80% of all the hip hop I listen too. Shyt I even hear it when listening to Linkin Park. I also agree that there won't be another snyth that dominates like the Triton, even the motif(which is my current favorite) or the new flagship board korg comes out with.

Last edited:
jayzgodmc said:
The triton is a collection of sounds programmed by some middle aged men.

If that's supposed to be a diss, I suppose the name "Bob Moog" means NOTHING to you. Dre might have a problem with that.

If you ever see a live performance on t.v regardless the network i.e Mtv, Bet, Vh1 you'll see a Triton on the stage everytime.

Exactly. Triton P.O.S cough cough what?

Last edited:
i understand what some of you are saying about turntables being the most valued instrument in hip-hop. however, there is nothing that makes a turntable an instrument absent of records. without instruments like the Triton, Moog, Motif, guitar, piano, etc., there would, musically, be nothing to put on the turntable. turntablists still need songs/tracks to scratch up and scratch to.

has scratching added a great deal of flavor to the sound of hip-hop? yes, sir! have the tables allowed the DJ to set the tone for concert or party and be the band all at the same time? most def! have DJs turned spinning and mixing records into a virtual artform? absolutely!

in some form the turntables can be considered an instrument, but it is an instrument totally dependent on the finished work (records) of another. because without the hot tracks created with the MPCs, Tritons, Motifs, and other instruments used to create hip-hop music, there'd be very little else to play.

Back