Is Kendrick Lamar the End of Hip Hop?

theonlybman

Alright the title is a bit over dramatic, but I've noticed a consistent decline in the amount of interesting new hip hop that is coming out over these last few years. Common, Kanye, Weezy, to name a few who were carrying the torch and let their product become subpar, and it didn't look like anyone else was going to pick up the flame. I had almost all but given up on hip hop, but then I heard Kendrick and I knew there was at least one guy left who is doing something real.

Do you think this is hip hop's last stand?

P.S. I'm not saying that hip hop culture is dead, when I say it's dead I mean that new developments in what the culture is no longer come about. For example, after jazz fusion, jazz culture was essentially dead, it was no longer alive and developing, it became something people studied the history of rather than actively developed.

Last edited:
TDE gonna be killin the game for a minute.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

and this remix...YEP!

I'll be honest. FPers levitate to a certain something...I just can't feel it. I spent the last day trying to figure out why everyone was talking about this album that didn't impress me whatsoever. I realized it was released under Aftermath, now it all makes sense.

I'm not saying you all sheep, some of you may ginuinely like this type of music, but alot of cats are getting bamboozled by the genius subliminal advertising of Aftermath into thinking this guy is more than he is.

I'll be honest. FPers levitate to a certain something...I just can't feel it. I spent the last day trying to figure out why everyone was talking about this album that didn't impress me whatsoever. I realized it was released under Aftermath, now it all makes sense.

I'm not saying you all sheep, some of you may ginuinely like this type of music, but alot of cats are getting bamboozled by the genius subliminal advertising of Aftermath into thinking this guy is more than he is.

Listen to most tracks (GKMC) and they were straight. I'm just wondering why Ab-Soul is having to play the back. I think he may be the dopest of the bunch. JMO.

^^^I'm not taking from their music, they're cool, I'm just saying this "real hip hop" campaign is AFTERMATH BRAINWASH. They shoulda used it on Slaughterhouse's album, lol(they did, the album just sucked so bad it didn't work).

JMO, MGK's joint was hotter than Kendricks. Neither deserves to be called classic. Kendrick got my money tho. So he wins.

Last edited:

I can understand it' not your cup of tea.. but I gotta ask though you are you judging him against artists of the past? His styles a bit different from the old heroes people compare him to pac but he might be like the pac for a new generation. (Which means he may not sound or act like pac but his messages and abilities may be on the same level.)

Also who else is making movies with there albums? I can't remember the last time I heard creative uses of skits on an album that did more than just make me laugh. This guy like told a whole story you gotta listen through the album STRAIGHT through NO skips. That kind of stuff just ain't happening now a days. It's not the golden era of hip hop reborn but I'm pretty happy with this right now compared to whats been coming out this past year.

To be honest there really isn't much marketing / propaganda going on for the kid ( at least I haven't seen it) i'm not sure where you think its coming from thats got people brainwashed.

But then again there are plenty of people out there that didn't like Michael Jacksons, or Princes music and those guys were legends...

I totally agree with this statement.

I just understand the 3Ps... propoganda, promotion, and push to sell. Without it, this guy would be...Joey BadA$$ but deeper while LESS lyrical, lol.

Again, I'm not knocking dude, I'm not knocking fans wanting "real hip hop". It's just easy to sell you what you know you're missing even if it isn't as fulfilling as they're trying to convince you it is.

This dude is in the same lane as Kool Keith beyond what they tell you he is.

Honestly, I just take the album for what it is. An honest story about a kid from Compton who overcame adversity. That's it. I hate "classic" talk. It's all subjective anyways.

I just understand the 3Ps... propoganda, promotion, and push to sell. Without it, this guy would be...Joey BadA$$ but deeper while LESS lyrical, lol.

Again, I'm not knocking dude, I'm not knocking fans wanting "real hip hop". It's just easy to sell you what you know you're missing even if it isn't as fulfilling as they're trying to convince you it is.

This dude is in the same lane as Kool Keith beyond what they tell you he is.

you cant say he'd be joey badass, cause i worked with both camps and Joey is nowhere near kendricks level musically, or promotion wise even from when before Dr. Dre cosigned Kendrick

Kendrick is good, really good. So is Ab-Soul, is he the greatest thing ever? of course not, theres a little hyperbole in everything. But KDot is really good

you know more than anybody nobody is really "New". Guys pop on the scene and seem random but Kendrick had a deal when he was 17 with Def Jam that fell through. that was 8 years ago, so he has been buzzing around as KDot and rocking with Jay Rock since at least 04/05

i think anybody who tries to write it off as "real hip hop".. "fake hip hop" is retarded. Its just as "real" as Future's Pluto album was to him, just like Chief Keef's music is to him

the difference between Slaughterhouse and K.Dot is that Slaughterhouse was 4 failed artists trying to get some buzz. Kendrick had buzz and attention already, Dr. Dre was just a name and figure and "exec producer" to give him the avenues that allow you to headline a tour and do things of that nature

but trust me, from the insides of both camps looking out. Joey would kill to have a fraction of the success that kendrick had in 2010. Joeys music is regional still, just like Kdots was back in 06. Kendrick Lamar makes music for young people not born in strictly poverty, but surrounded by nothing but negativity from birth due to their living situations

i think the people who are "overhyping" it are closer to correct than the people who are undermining it. Its really a good album, i give it a 9.5 out of 10, and i dont even like a lot of shit that comes out.

and even beyond that. just business wise, its inspiring to see a young person going out and getting it and making the most of a situation and still ride with the people he came up with

TDE
Punch, Jay Rock, Dave, Moosa, Amack, Schoolboy, Soul, Ali, Sounwave, Willie. Those are all the same cats who were on the album even after all the success

lets be real here, Dre has given the same looks to a bunch of artists, Bishop Lamont comes to mind, and honestly. to keep it 100, i liked a lot of the Bishop Lamont projects easier than i liked the kendrick projects at first, same channels, same avenues, yet where is Bishop now? Where is Stat Quo now. Just saying Dre doesnt have a lot of successful artists under the wing, but when the ones he DOES have get successful.. well we see what happens (Eminem, 50). Not saying that kendrick is gonna be on that level, but it wouldnt shock me if he did

like i said, i think people are going a lil crazy with the classic talk and in turn its making people undermine a good album. What artists you know is gonna put a legend like MC Eiht on your debut retail album? People can say that they want but Papoose, Bishop Lamont, Jae Millz wished they had a debut like this, and they had more attention, more money and bigger companies backing them. This is the type of success Hov wanted for J Cole, Jimmy wanted for Wale and Kanye wanted for Big Sean and it just didnt pan out

i know my opinion may come off biased, and it slightly is but it really is a good album

To SwahO: Haven't The Roots done the kind of "movie rap" that you're looking for? What about Jeru the Damaja?

GJ

Last edited:
listening to the album on spotify now so far im feelin it that track with mc eight is dope also damnit he beat me to that mighty dub katz sample on backseat freestyle.

Last edited:
I scanned thru the album on iTunes yesterday.

The album "felt" like ATLiens to me. Something about it gave me that "feeling".

I think he has the first classic of the new wave of rappers (2005 and beyond).

This is the type of success Hov wanted for J Cole, Jimmy wanted for Wale and Kanye wanted for Big Sean and it just didnt pan out

i know my opinion may come off biased, and it slightly is but it really is a good album
to be fair cole had the exact same success.
kendrick is gonna equal coles sales. its great for both of them. they both sellin 220k without a major hit single. thats good for hip hop. it shows that it can be done

i personally believe coles album was better than kendricks too. probably just my taste

I guess different strokes for different generations. Because I am 40 and my children are 15 & 17. They listen to some songs and I be like what kind of crap. But that is the same thing my mother said, about the rap I grew up on. I have been rapping myself since I was 12. So to each his own, in my opinion. But I started listening to his album today, and I do like about 4 tracks so far, and I stopped at the Mc Eiht, that I have to finish hearing..

to be fair cole had the exact same success.
kendrick is gonna equal coles sales. its great for both of them. they both sellin 220k without a major hit single. thats good for hip hop. it shows that it can be done

i personally believe coles album was better than kendricks too. probably just my taste

Without a Major hit single? J Cole had/has like 3 songs in constant rotation and Kendrick Lamar has 2.

Back