John Lennon Hip Hop

Bango Skank

top billin'
John Lennon died without ever really knowing hip hop. He died in 1980, only a year or two after the scene started becoming well known in NYC. He obviously never made any hip hop songs, and I can't remember reading anything in any of his biographies about him going to a hip hop show. I wonder what he would have thought of Hip hop back then? I wonder what he would think of it now?

the man was a Beetle... He'll get sampled and allow clearance personally (If he was still alive). That's about all I could imagine. Paul McCartney would be the guy who would of embraced rap if it was in any of those guys to do so. Lennon was a Free-Bird but not a hipster. Naked in interviews is for Allanis Morsette not Common.

Last edited:
If you look up the history of hip hop then you would find that it was out before john lennon passed and even if he heard it you know that he was high through most of his last years of life (not trying to be funny, but it was true lol)

If you look up the history of hip hop then you would find that it was out before john lennon passed and even if he heard it you know that he was high through most of his last years of life (not trying to be funny, but it was true lol)

Not trying to channel Lennon, but quite a lot of musicians and singers of that time thought that Rap was a joke. "Where is the skill to do that?" were some common questions.

in the early eighties it was still in it's infancy and a novelty exept in the hood, but since Lennon lived in NY chances are he heard it.

I doubt Lennon would have ever got on the mic and made a hip hop album himself. But I think there is something about hip hops "i am here and i have something to say" attitude that would have appealed to him. I could see him possibly producing a few Hip Hop albums.

At the end of his life he was desperatly looking for a new sound. Did you know he co wrote david bowies "Fame"? That's lennon yelling out "FFFaaaaaaaammmmmmmme!" every bar or every 2 bars or whatever it is. He is also playing the (sort of) lead guitar, the super distorted guitar that keep repeating the same line. I hear some hip hop in this. If you've ever listen to yoko ono's music, a lot of it has little sing-songy rhymy parts, you could almost call it rap. I think Lennon would have embrace hip hop big time. can you image a De La Soul album co produced by John Lennon? Shoooooot....

John Lennon died without ever really knowing hip hop. He died in 1980, only a year or two after the scene started becoming well known in NYC. He obviously never made any hip hop songs, and I can't remember reading anything in any of his biographies about him going to a hip hop show. I wonder what he would have thought of Hip hop back then? I wonder what he would think of it now?

I think he would've taken the same stance that a lot of older true musicians took and viewed hip-hop as a a lesser art form.

I think he would've taken the same stance that a lot of older true musicians took and viewed hip-hop as a a lesser art form.
I agree. Even Don Cornelius viewed Hip-hop as "just speaking over a beat, where's the talent in that?" And he's the founder of Soul Train! It was truly an art form that the younger generation of that time had to push through. And look now, nigguhs old as hell trying to get they rapping on.

even thoug h i dont think he would of liked it as a music form that he would of embraced i think he would of had a form of respect towards it.

back in the days hiphop was just almost another branch of punk. and even though i dont likee punk. at all.....ok maybe the sort of ska punk revival flex. apart from that its pretty bad in general.
BUT!!! the "do it yourself, **** the label, do what you want to hear, cut the pretence" style to me is pretty influencial and i think somone like lennon was in the same boat. he didnt want to hear what was already made....ironicaly most of the rock/indie bands of the 80's 90's and 00's where/all beatles carbonesque copies.

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

there was a good documentary by a guy called howard goodall called how music works. it's on youtube and worth a watch. but he is a musicologists and in his own proffesional opinion thinks that bach should of loved stevie wonder. the syncronisation, layering, hypnotic patterns and riffs, shifting accents. all stuff that bach used and enjoyed. he just didnt have the modern day advancment in technology towards this.

i dont think it's like a person from history would not comprehend and not enjoy the music. completly the opposite i think tbh. and besides it's only 15 years difference. i bet i will enjoy stuff in the next 15 years...if i live that long.

Last edited:
Back