Jay-Z is "a joke" - Sage Francis a truly great rapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo ma, your buddy is a hater, plain and simple! Anyone who takes something like someones taste in music and says "If ANYBODY likes this artist, they have no taste in music" is a ****ing BAFOON! I have been playing music for awhile and I came up learning classical piano so I have always listened and loved classical music but I would be quick to point out that I got Jayz right next to Guns and Roses right next to bach in my cd changer. All im trying to say is to each their own. You need to tell ya boy to walk it out and cool it with that noise. By the way im sure Jayz gives a **** what sage francis has to say about him;)

TheVariousArtist said:
Well, I can understand how people like Jay-z more than Sage Francis. That's their opinion.

What I don't like is all these idiots saying like "wtf who is this sage guy sounds like food hes nothin on jay-z how many records he sold jay-z is goat i wanna have his babies anyone who disagrees is wrong and not cool"

That's what's sad

I'm with you on that. That was the whole point of the thread, that nobody needs to put DOWN other artists.

(But remember, it's Sage F. who has rooms full of Vermont college students cheering for him rapping, "I like 99 rappers, but Jay-Z ain't one".)

PG

Tekk said:
Aside from the fact that jay-z is a multi-millionaire...and Sage whatever is like uhh...who? That alone should prove the fact that someone likes jay-z's music, let alone willing to pay for it. If sage were as good as he says he is, why does he not live like jay z? (aside from the endless hustle)

I people didnt like jay-z, people wouldnt buy his music, meaning he wouldnt be as rich as he is..i dont think sage has half the problems jay-z has.
Again... mainstream success is not a measure of talent. You've seen what's in the charts these days.

Also, I don't know what problems Sage Francis has in his life, neither do I know what problems Jay-Z has. That last comment was plain stupid. You don't know either of them.

PBoyProducer said:
exactly! i was gonna say that earlier

but u have to remember that they say shyt like that to appeal to their fans, u can't be a voice for your culture if u don't stick to the rules

but when it call comes down to it...its about the money...eff the culture

for example...Murs just got picked up for an by a major for his next project Murs for President...and even tho backpackers love him...he still is it it for the money and for the fame. I know this b/c the people who work with him told me

even with little brother..they were doing their thing indie..but they signed with a major

even the nerdiest, stereotypical backpacker would change with a chack on the table..so don't fool yourselves..lol
I had no idea that Murs got singed to a major label for his next album. How were you involved with Paid Dues? I work with Guerilla Union so I was there running around working production and vending areas. Did you work with Murs' brother at the Murs booth with his parents? Will you be working with Murs at Rock the Bells this summer?

But what you said about the money thing is true to some extent. I think Atmosphere is a good example of this not being true. Atmosphere has been offered deals by major labels but said **** it so that they could remain indie.

Jersey8five6 said:
this guys probably tryin to peer pressure u into listening to sage francis. alot of these backpackers just listen to music to be cool, cuz most of them really don't have much self esteem. that's way [most] of them try to make themselves feel better.

i bet u if he got disconnected by his bakcpacking freinds/internet-community, his Sage Francis cd's (if he ever bought them in the first place) would go deeper into his stack of cd's. then he'll listen to it a couple months/years later and he'll be like, "i used to like this...?"

even tho Sage Francis isn't all that bad, he is overrated as hell in the nerd corner.
Im not a so called "backpacker" but I have seen the culture first hand several times. It seems like you have not seen what the culture is all about and have some misconceptions about it. I really do not believe that they listen to the music to be cool. If anything I think its all the TI and Young Jeezy fans that listen to the music to be gangster and cool. That music is much more in than the indie hip hop scene.

Its not like all fans of indie hip hop dislike anything major. As somebody who likes many of the artists myself, I listen to lots of different hip hop.

Tekk said:
Aside from the fact that jay-z is a multi-millionaire...and Sage whatever is like uhh...who? That alone should prove the fact that someone likes jay-z's music, let alone willing to pay for it. If sage were as good as he says he is, why does he not live like jay z? (aside from the endless hustle)
Thats a horrible argument. There are several undergroudn MCs who can tear apart mainstream artists but do not get as much recognition which leads to major deals and everything that goes along with that. Jay-Z's sound is more marketable opposed to Sage Francis whose music does not have mass appeal. That is not a reflection on talent.

This board is truly filled with way too many people do not know anything about hip hop. There are some intelligent and knowledgeable people on here, but it seems the majority of people just want to talk about Timbo, Scott Storch, and Young Jeezy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with your friend on JayZ being crap, and Sage being great... But why would you need to try and shout that at someone? A lot of people who hold up Sage are a bit embarrassing to be honest. Even though I like him a lot, there's a pattern to Sage Francis fans...

1) Smoke Loads of weed and start to believe you're more intelligent than other people because of things you've seen on the internet (despite your grades saying otherwise)
2) Get blown away by all the great references and wordplay and think that because you get it you can build him into your character and wave him around like you finished your media studies degree
3) Approach 30, stop smoking weed
4) Hit 30... realise you've been an ******* and Sage Francis being a good rapper and you being aware of it didn't give you the right to belittle anyone
5) Get a job doing all the things Sage preaches against and forget the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back