Jay-Z is "a joke" - Sage Francis a truly great rapper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
InfamousKlassactt said:
i rather listen to esoteric then jay z or any mainstream rapper for that matter...
That's cool, I respect that. Some people *only* like successful, mainstream music. Some people don't like *any* successful, mainstream music. Myself, I don't use that as a criteria, but decide based on my ears - I don't really care whether they're mainstream or underground. But, to each his own! :-)

PG

Last edited by a moderator:
Project Girl said:
Now, if this was just an opinion, I'd be FINE with it. Everybody likes different music. It's personal and subjective. But this person insists that anyone who does enjoy's Jay-Z's music is completely lacking in musical taste. In other words, nobody else should like his music either, and if they do, they have no taste.

I feel you. I don't even bother debating with people like that. It's impossible to make them understand that EVERYTHING is about taste and preference. Not everybody likes the same music, sport, car, clothing etc. But no single person (or group of people) can actually pass what's better (meaning more tasteful) as fact. And it annoys me when people try. If people can disagree and argue, than it virtually can't be FACT, right?

Vote Jai said:
I feel you. I don't even bother debating with people like that. It's impossible to make them understand that EVERYTHING is about taste and preference. Not everybody likes the same music, sport, car, clothing etc. But no single person (or group of people) can actually pass what's better (meaning more tasteful) as fact. And it annoys me when people try. If people can disagree and argue, than it virtually can't be FACT, right?

Exactly, well put. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way!~ TO EACH HIS OWN! :-)

PG

Jersey8five6 said:
by the way, how old was this guy, like 14?

LOL... no, he's a grownup. :-)

PG

Last edited by a moderator:
sage is really quite dope, listen to "The Buzz Kill" for reference, but Jay-Z's dope too. the dude championing sage is an idiot. and as for Sage refusing to battle other MCs, youtube him and you'll find he's been in plenty of battles.

I think comparing the two is stupid-they're so different. And, to be honest, as much as I hate music snobs, I am a music snob.

The only thing that I can't stand is people who criticize something they have never taken the time to listen to or learn about

Horatio said:
...and as for Sage refusing to battle other MCs, youtube him and you'll find he's been in plenty of battles.

Ok - it was the Sage Francis fan who told me that he turns down battles, but that must not be the whole story.

The guy probably is talented - I'm not saying he's not - just for the record. I just don't like him and my friend talking sh1t about other talented musicians, and acting as if that sh1t they're talking is "fact", ya know?

PG

when jay dies he will be labeled the most influental rapper ever and the goat

Last edited:
Sakun One said:
I think comparing the two is stupid-they're so different.

For the record, I agree, and it isn't me comparing them.

And, to be honest, as much as I hate music snobs, I am a music snob.

Are you sure? "Snob" means "one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior; one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste"?

I'm VERY particular about music, but definitely not a snob.

PG

Project Girl said:
For the record, I agree, and it isn't me comparing them.

Are you sure? "Snob" means "one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior; one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste"?

I'm VERY particular about music, but definitely not a snob.

PG

The music I listen to is a huge part of who I am, so I guard it carefully, and I am opinionated as hell about it. Maybe my air of superiority isn't offensive, but I definitely have it. I think a lot of us do, case and point:

If I told you I listened to 'Nsync you'd think a lot different things about me than if I said I listened to Madlib.

I don't like to judge people, and I try not to. But it's hard. So I try to not criticize peple for liking music I have never listened to.

That's all I mean

rutiger45 said:
Come on now.. The guy is named after a spice.

LOL *dies*

Well a Papoose is a fuel Tanker built in 1921, or a small guitar according to Wikipedia.

Sakun One said:
The music I listen to is a huge part of who I am, so I guard it carefully, and I am opinionated as hell about it. Maybe my air of superiority isn't offensive, but I definitely have it. I think a lot of us do, case and point:

If I told you I listened to 'Nsync you'd think a lot different things about me than if I said I listened to Madlib.

I do see your point, I think - it's almost human nature. But I still think it's a mistake to think oneself superior based on one's taste. (I don't mean you, but in principle.)

PG

Sage Francis is very very good.

Jay-Z is overrated.

But both of those things are just my opinions, Jay has made some nice stuff you're entitled to like him.

clarhck5 said:
why do i have a feeling that some of the guys that say they stopped listening after reasonable doubt only heard it a couple years ago.

seriously. I have a friend who says "his old **** was the best ****" And i was like, "what about blueprint?! Black album? Hello?" and he's like "r u kidding Jay-Z is so bad after Reasonable Doubt". Then i asked him when he started listening to jay, and he didn't answer directly lol.

I think what Project Girl was trying to say was that it is even more offensive because one artist was degraded to nothing for sake of lifting another dude up.

That is stupid.

If you want me to listen to this cat, just pass the myspace link and keep it movin, give me some history on these dudes then pass the link but nooooooo dudes always gotta talk reckless to prove their point! As if to give whoever they consider *real* more validity.

I guess you gotta let the person decide.....can also apply to Conscious vs Commercial (yea I hate the stereotyping names) argument.

Just like if you were trying to put a Dirty South *fan* up on some Common you wouldn't say "get some real rap in your system, dont know why you listening to this garbage" *hands him BE*. I can pretty much bet that, that CD wouldnt even be opened due to your attitude, it'll be smarter to just luck up and hop in the whip wit a Jeezy (just as an example.) fan and play a club track by your artist in the car, or some club ish you like...kinda like The Official by Jaylib or Can You Believe It by Styles P.....strike up a convo and hey, you got a new fan. (really works if you got an artist and make GOOD relatable music)

Anyways I'm ramblin again, let me go mix somethin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back