Isn't This Beat Really ****ing Annoying?

It's not that I'm afraid of anything. I'm not afraid to say what I like and what I don't like. I'm just not going to judge for other people. I liked the new Ying Yang Twins track, the lyrics weren't dope, and the track wasn't insanely hot, but it was a cool concept song. The beat Pharrell did for Missy is a little catchy, but it certainly isn't great music, not to me at least.

Every musician puts out wack ****. Each and every one. Beethoven put out some stuff that I think is terrible, and I'm a HUGE Beethoven fan. Chopin wrote a few crappy things too (Or several, like every mazurka ever). What is odd to me is that you're pointing out a few Neptunes track and saying, "God, look at those assholes, they have no idea how to make music."

And then you say that no one in hip-hop could make it outside of that arena, right after mentioning the Neptunes...

The Neptunes are some of the most talented guys working, in my opinion. They've produced all sorts of music for all sorts of genres, and they aren't scared to take risks and try new things. I really respect those guys and even if you don't, you certainly can't claim that they aren't true musicians.

I wasn't saying that it's a good thing that the radio scene is degenerating, I'm just pointing out that it certainly isn't exclusive to hip-hop. Listen to any top40 at all? Our ringtone obsessed cellphone generation, or, at least MY ringtone obsessed bite-size everything generation has a high demand for simple things, period, and a market will be created for any group of consumers that large.

I'm not saying that what we're getting is what I want. You're not getting my message. Hip-hop is as it always was, it's just that people saw hip-hop getting big and made pop-hop to capitalize. It's not a big deal. The artform isn't dying, it's just not making it to the radio anymore.

Saint Mike said:
It's not that I'm afraid of anything. I'm not afraid to say what I like and what I don't like. I'm just not going to judge for other people. I liked the new Ying Yang Twins track, the lyrics weren't dope, and the track wasn't insanely hot, but it was a cool concept song. The beat Pharrell did for Missy is a little catchy, but it certainly isn't great music, not to me at least.

Every musician puts out wack ****. Each and every one. Beethoven put out some stuff that I think is terrible, and I'm a HUGE Beethoven fan. Chopin wrote a few crappy things too (Or several, like every mazurka ever). What is odd to me is that you're pointing out a few Neptunes track and saying, "God, look at those assholes, they have no idea how to make music."

And then you say that no one in hip-hop could make it outside of that arena, right after mentioning the Neptunes...

The Neptunes are some of the most talented guys working, in my opinion. They've produced all sorts of music for all sorts of genres, and they aren't scared to take risks and try new things. I really respect those guys and even if you don't, you certainly can't claim that they aren't true musicians.

I wasn't saying that it's a good thing that the radio scene is degenerating, I'm just pointing out that it certainly isn't exclusive to hip-hop. Listen to any top40 at all? Our ringtone obsessed cellphone generation, or, at least MY ringtone obsessed bite-size everything generation has a high demand for simple things, period, and a market will be created for any group of consumers that large.

I'm not saying that what we're getting is what I want. You're not getting my message. Hip-hop is as it always was, it's just that people saw hip-hop getting big and made pop-hop to capitalize. It's not a big deal. The artform isn't dying, it's just not making it to the radio anymore.

LOL!!!! i am not pointin out the neptunes. i simply said that hiphop is the EASIEST CHECK IN MUSIC PRODUCTION. i am the neps biggest fan. mad respect for them but now they are playing hiphop out with scraps for tracks. they used to care. you also cannot follow my train of thought. i write well enough and i cant figure how you broke this down to me bashing the tunes. you're lost. if you were on point you would be agreeing with me. cause you say the samething that i say. the top 40 in almost ANY OTHER GENRE is SUPERIOR to the hophop genre top 40. chew that.

3 of the 4 tracks you mentioned by name were produced by the Neptunes.

I'm pretty sure we're not misunderstanding each other. We're just not seeing eye-to-eye, and more arguing isn't really going to change that.

I don't agree that producing top40 hip-hop is especially easy. The point I was trying to get across is that, right now, pop-hop is in the midst of a fad. In 5 years, hip-hop won't be as popular as it used to be, but we'll always have the core that the excess sapped off of. Think hair metal. It'll pass.

I dont care what anyone says my point is if it sounds good it sounds good , Dont care how much blood and sweat went into it, that goes for any gerne. The sound or likings (for a lack of a better word) .. of a song will always be an opinion. Some people feel this way about it .. some people feel that way about it. If it sounds good it sounds good to ya , if it sounds bad it sounds bad to ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
And jtraxx's first point was it's the easiest to get paid. He even said Grindin was a good beat..but no one can deny that it didn't really require a whole lot of skill to make. And I agree with him. Hip hop is probably the only genres where such a simple beat can get blow up so much...hence you get paid more.

On any normal day I'd disagree with Traxx on this hip hop shyt, but if all you have to do is turn on the radio and ummm................

I mean how are you gonna argue against it? Yeah I'll say it...the South fukked it up for everyone. I'm talking recklessly so throw in your comments to fill up my argumentative potholes. Fukk it though, we didn't have this kinda bullshyt until all of this Crunk shyt really blew. Now we've got both Stoprch and The Neps dropping bullshyt cimply because "It's what sells".

Maybe it's about time to admit that maybe...just maybe unless Mannie or Jazze are behind the board that southern artists need to just spit on beats coming outta the northeast/west/anywhere other than the south without a whole lotta...well....southern influence.

Hey"Georgia" is probably the best shyt to come outta the South in a MINUTE!!!!!!

[color=sky blue]I am jacking the thread...First and foremost, Traxx knows I will call him an elitist in a minute, and he knows he is one...But his posts were on point...Cant argue with that...And I think Osamas post about the influence of Crunk Music being a negative at times is true as well...The majority of hip hop radio proves their points exactly...What is there to argue? And this is coming from an avid lover of hip-hop...

For the record, I will never compare the complexity of production of a Kanye or a Lil John to a Quincy, Stevie, Marvin, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis...or the musicianship of a Miles Davis, Prince, or The Funk Brothers to Timbaland or Dre...R.Kelly maybe, cause beyond the urination stories, he is a genius...

The Neptunes were very musical and hip hop on the Clipses first Album...they did use to care, and that album is proof...It was a banger...and creative and musical...

HAHAHAHAHAH at Traxx copyrighting my saying...

[/color]

Anyway, the beat is tight. It reminds me of some oldschool Autechre $#!t. I can picture hoes doing the Fabo to it. That's all that matters.

Right

Just read everything and i don't know if i really wanna continue this debate, but oh well *shrugs*

I don't know what your basing the statement that "hip hop is the easiest cheque " on. For who? I don't think paul van dyk is gonna be top 10'ing anytime soon with a hip hop beat, just rodney jenkins aint teaming up with tiesto anytime soon.

What are you basing your statement on? Because hip hop is easier and simple??

Have you heard of jet? The vines? The white stripes? Or any other modern rock music? Man, that sh|t is fckn simple. Everyone i've spoken to at the musical college i goto laughs, but sighs cos they wish they thought of it first.

But on the flip side you got metallica, rune and a whole bunch of other rock/metal bands that do some freakin insane solos, key changes, timings and just generally very complex and creative.

So is rock the easiest cheque to get because the vines made alot of money and some simple songs? No, and neither is hip hop because a bunch of people made money off "easy" (what the hell is easy anyway? Easily played? I can play stairway to heaven, don't mean i could have written it) music.

Hip hop is the easiest cheque if thats what you know, and have got a style that is catching on...like lil jon or anyone else that tapped into that creative river we're all trynna hit. Jazz is easier for me to write cos thats what i been playing for 10 years, but i want to challenge myself and do hip hop, so its fkn hard....for me. Maybe it IS easy for you traxx, and thats good for you. Your statement isn't true for me yet. Can't wait til it is true.

Last edited:
wreckd said:

What are you basing your statement on? Because hip hop is easier and simple??

Have you heard of jet? The vines? The white stripes? Or any other modern rock music? Man, that sh|t is fckn simple. Everyone i've spoken to at the musical college i goto laughs, but sighs cos they wish they thought of it first.

So is rock the easiest cheque to get because the vines made alot of money and some simple songs?

I should have added that I don't believe that REAL HIP HOP is the easiest check to get because...well...we all know that shyt doesn't sell.

By the way, Jet simply followed Paul McCartney's/Wings's Blueprint, and The White Stripes are pretty much the 2005 equivalent of your early 80's punk band....very post disco only with a goth-like element. Those bands are popular because the bring a nostalgic feel back to rock. If that isn't easy then I don't know what the fukk is.

I'm telling ya. I really don't believe most of you when you claim to listen to all types of music...or when you claim to be able to make any kind of music. if that were true then we'd probably never have these arguments. I'd expect to see some shyt like this over in the cubase or KVR forums. Hip hop will always be the elitist's punching bag, but I doubt it'll ever get knocked flat on it's ass by rock, jazz, or any of that other cookie cutter bullshyt that gets praise because it generally invovles more instrumentation. Shyt is still shyt regardless of how you decorate it.

Oh and for the record if we're talking about getting a check vs. the simplicity of making music then I don't think ANYTHING is easier than making and getting paid from house music. Jesus just throw a 4 on the floor beat, some vocal samples, and a few synth bleeps from a Virus and that shyt is done.

Now that's some shyt I could EASILY make in under 20 minutes. Getting paid from it? Gotta have connects just like any other genre ya know?

Last edited:
House can get much more complex than hiphop...the setup you have to do with all the filters on the instruments, for a long succession in a song (up to 8-10 minutes per house song) is much more complex than hiphop. You really dont have constantly evolving filters, effects, and changes in hiphop, as you do in house. Now u may be talking about cheesy house like "BABY DONT HURT ME"....

Im not talking about kiss fm house. Regarding ur belief in who really listens, or knows about classical music and jazz, I dont know if that was directed at me. I hope not.

Originally Posted by Osamapiglatin

If that isn't easy then I don't know what the fukk is.

That was my point. You can have easy cheques in any genre. Hip hop isn't the only genre to have simple music that is easy to make. Therefore, back to the orignal point...i disagree hip hop is the easiest cheque to make. There is plenty of "easy" cheques out there if you know what you are doing and have the contacts.

My other point was, just cos you can play it doesn't mean you had a hope in hell of writing it. I bet everyone can play every nirvana song ever written, but ya'll didnt write them or have kurts charisma (couldn't think of a better word, though crazyness came to mind).

I'm gonna quote you again for another point

Originally Posted by Osamapiglatin

If that isn't easy then I don't know what the fukk is.

Ya'll didnt think of doing it. Even though it is obvious and easy? Why didnt you follow paul mcartney/wings blueprint???

Just cos you can work out what someone did to get where they are, or play all their songs, doesnt mean you're going to get where they are.

Last edited:
wreckd said:

That was my point. You can have easy cheques in any genre. Hip hop isn't the only genre to have simple music that is easy to make. Therefore, back to the orignal point...i disagree hip hop is the easiest cheque to make. There is plenty of "easy" cheques out there if you know what you are doing and have the contacts.

My other point was, just cos you can play it doesn't mean you had a hope in hell of writing it. I bet everyone can play every nirvana song ever written, but ya'll didnt write them or have kurts charisma (couldn't think of a better word, though crazyness came to mind).

I'm gonna quote you again for another point

Ya'll didnt think of doing it. Even though it is obvious and easy? Why didnt you follow paul mcartney/wings blueprint???

Just cos you can work out what someone did to get where they are, or play all their songs, doesnt mean you're going to get where they are.

i'm sorry about calling you this name. you're an idiot. hiphop is more controlled by politics than any other genre as far as ignoring quality control. pop has the duty of shipping off no talent passably decent music for major bucks. hiphop can pass CRAP off for bucks and no one checks to see if the teeth are good. never thought of it first? BECAUSE IT"S BULLS.... it's really garbage. i cant lose my salvation over this here. it's hilarious how weak minded people are. cant make a judgement on what's good and what's not. accolades those crap songs get are sooo tongue in cheek it's hilarious. it's like "dang we present you this award for this WACK BULLCRAP but we'll not call you on standsards because you sold maaad liguor at the club and them niggas stayed drunk all the way to the store till you went 2 times plat."

niggas is looking.

scared to say i dont like that part. lol. man it's like y'all been ACLU'd to death and you are scared to dislike because GOD FORBID you'll seem close minded. sadness.

Sorry to cut in here, but I think music in general has gone down the drain. But I do see where Traxx is comin from, because hip hop has become some of the most uninspiring, uncreative music out, atleast the mainstream side of it is.

Its very true too, becuase I remember showing these cats a track with nothin but 808's and rolling hi hats...they didn't like it. they came over again a year later when the crunk stuff was sellin, and all of a sudden they loved the beat.

Nobody wants to be different anymore, nobody wants to make music from the heart anymore, and i'll even take the blame for that one, because I do intentionally make beats that have a commercial sound, but you know, it comes down to that fine line of money vs. pride.

Many ppl , including myself at times, fal into the money side of things and only make music to make money.

Peace

I listen to a pretty diverse selection of music, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I could go from listening to shyt on Yoko Kanno's level to listening to Yin Yang. That shyt just doesn't add up. and it has nothing to do with effort or the amount of time spent; Its all about the finished product. I don't care if someone spent 1000 years making one track, if its wack, it wack. And thats exactly what the end results of shyt like "wait" amount to - wack a$$ garbage!

But there is a musical side to hip hop too...and I think the prob with that is, it never gets much shine from radios or TV networks.

There's plenty of RnB acts out there with amazing production.

Holy sh*t 5 pages of this? I got to the middle of page 3 and couldn't go on anymore. Crybabies need to stop b*tchin and go grind. Stop hatin' other people's hustle. This is the kind of stuff that made me stop comin' to FP for a while. It must be hatin' season or somethin'.

expansion said:
Holy sh*t 5 pages of this? I got to the middle of page 3 and couldn't go on anymore. Crybabies need to stop b*tchin and go grind. Stop hatin' other people's hustle. This is the kind of stuff that made me stop comin' to FP for a while. It must be hatin' season or somethin'.

you should have kept reading. otherwise you seem foolish with the comment and you fall right into the category i classify.

expansion said:

You are not special because you go against the status quo. We are not hating, we just don't like the song. Deal with it.

Back