Investing in rappers is a black hole?

What do you expect for a genre with zero expectations?

Yall let EVERYTHING pass, of COURSE this genre will go to shit.

in every other genre if you make bad music, you get crucified. In rap, it's applauded.

Go figure.

I guess its just the nature of the beast..... IMO a lot of these guys could make something of themselves but they usually end up holding themselves back for one reason or another....

The success of a talented rapper really is in his hands nowadays tho....

I remember (as a kid) going up to the hoop courts and just sitting there watching in amazement, some of the hood cats just talking ish shooting hoops. A gang of em were on some and1 ish....killin the courts....dunkin on fools...lol...

Where they @ now...?

I'm just sayin..

All entertainment is a shitty biz to be in. It's easier to sell soap, underwear or sod and you'll become a millionaire quicker. Any business that you have to be LIKED is bad for passive investing. Folks are still lying and talking about the "love" and "creativity"...for those of us who have grown up, the name of the game is $. With that said, I don't engage in helping folks make "demo's" anymore nor do I bother people who are not craving an artist music. No freebies! We are going to sell the album/show/merchandise or we are not. When you sell music like one sell's a cargo container of toothpick's, reality and pragmatism rewards you!

but you have to invest in the artist right to do these things??
if you are the executive producer or the label/media owner
you have to work hard on promotion before,during and after the release of the album building a buzz using tried and true promotion techniques and creative ones....
ppl say music is free ... but I still see ppl selling plenty of music and then yes venturing into film,endorsement
and I believe you have music that your target audience can connect to
you can get them to buy from you..
and for a indie artist or label 10,000 to 50,000 units can mean a great deal of cash coming from a grassroots level...

I read tons of books/articles of business ppl who where told by other you don't know what you're talking about and what you're doing and these ppl stayed on their course and now they are in the elite of their field..
so I don't think investing in an artist is a blackhole only if don't have to patience and the endurance to keep going and learn from mistakes and from
achievements

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I guess its just the nature of the beast..... IMO a lot of these guys could make something of themselves but they usually end up holding themselves back for one reason or another....

The success of a talented rapper really is in his hands nowadays tho....

I remember (as a kid) going up to the hoop courts and just sitting there watching in amazement, some of the hood cats just talking ish shooting hoops. A gang of em were on some and1 ish....killin the courts....dunkin on fools...lol...

Where they @ now...?

I'm just sayin..

like the guy freestyling is he using his dirty money to make clean money is he invested in himself as rap enterprise??
this is if he really does all the stuff he raps about
you can't have a rap career if you're locked up for 10 years on a dope charge

Last edited:
but you have to invest in the artist right to do these things??
if you are the executive producer or the label/media owner
you have to work hard on promotion before,during and after the release of the album building a buzz using tried and true promotion techniques and creative ones....
ppl say music is free ... but I still see ppl selling plenty of music and then yes venturing into film,endorsement
and I believe you have music that your target audience can connect to
you can get them to buy from you..
and for a indie artist or label 10,000 to 50,000 units can mean a great deal of cash coming from a grassroots level...

I read tons of books/articles of business ppl who where told by other you don't know what you're talking about and what you're doing and these ppl stayed on their course and now they are in the elite of their field..
so I don't think investing in an artist is a blackhole only if don't have to patience and the endurance to keep going and learn from mistakes and from
achievements

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

like the guy freestyling is he using his dirty money to make clean money is he invested in himself as rap enterprise??
this is if he really does all the stuff he raps about
you can't have a rap career if you're locked up for 10 years on a dope charge

I don't think you understand. It's a bad investment because the amount of money that you put in will not guarantee it will be made back since you don't know if people will like the rapper.

It is easier to invest in a pop act because you can get producers and songwriters to craft hit songs. It's not the same for rappers. In rapping you either suck or you don't and being a good rapper doesn't guarantee success. (look at all the lyricists for example).

A rapper can come out with one hit song and then fall of the face of the planet. (mims).

It's almost a lose/lose situation.

Finding a good rapper with mass appeal who can craft hits is rare.

Last edited:
I don't think you understand. It's a bad investment because the amount of money that you put in will not guarantee it will be made back since you don't know if people will like the rapper.

It is easier to invest in a pop act because you can get producers and songwriters to craft hit songs. It's not the same for rappers. In rapping you either suck or you don't and being a good rapper doesn't guarantee success. (look at all the lyricists for example).

A rapper can come out with one hit song and then fall of the face of the planet. (mims).

It's almost a lose/lose situation.

Finding a good rapper with mass appeal who can craft hits is rare.

the music business is a high risk business...period so you either invest in artists or you don't
why do you think record labels recoup so much and give artist so little because they have to recover from albums that flop
ROI... is a big thing when it comes to music..
so all you can do is do alot of free/cost-effective marketing to create a buzz
and take it step by step and you see if this artist is worth the invest because if you release 5 song EP or mixtape and can't get any views and you hear nothing but this sucks then you don't move past that stage unless you just really believe in the artist
local
regional
national
use the internet to your company's advantage
it's a great way to engage your target audience and target your marketing campaign
to record,mix,and master a album isn't as expensive as it used to be..
be building relationships with other companies you can get alot for less(when you are at a grassroot level)

alot of time you have to find a talented rapper and build a mass appeal
that's why Diddy did with Biggie
the song Juicy was a decen hit
but Biggie didn't really get big tell the BIG POPPA remix

Last edited:
What do you expect for a genre with zero expectations?

Yall let EVERYTHING pass, of COURSE this genre will go to shit.

in every other genre if you make bad music, you get crucified. In rap, it's applauded.

Go figure.
precisely! the word hater made rappers invincible

Yeah biggest thing is deff personality/appearance now that the internet puts everything at your fingertips. If a rapper doesn't even have a video on YouTube most people won't pay him any mind. If they have to work to hear something that might not even be any good, they won't bother.

All you need these days is Ableton Live or a loopstation and a mic.

the funny thing is, kid cudi applied for many colleges and sh-t and no college accepted him so he went to new york and recorded his FIRST mix tape, kanye heard it and signed him to atlantic records, slap in yo face, maybe god decides who makes it and who doesn't

the funny thing is, kid cudi applied for many colleges and sh-t and no college accepted him so he went to new york and recorded his FIRST mix tape, kanye heard it and signed him to atlantic records, slap in yo face, maybe god decides who makes it and who doesn't

Yeah, god is a rap AnR. That is, when he's not busy listening to prayers of people trying to find their car keys. LOL

Many people dropped out of college or high school. One in a million starts a company which becomes a Google/Facebook/Youtube, etc...
Many million of people play basketball and drop out of high school or college, or they finish both. How many of them end up in the NBA? smh

"Slap in yo face, **** yo couch jigga!"

In my honest opinion I believe that too many Rappers don't know and understand the history of Hip Hop so its impossible for them to be innovative. So with that holding true they only mimic the rappers and trends of today because its all they know. So the rapper trying to get on is like the man who's tryna reinvent the wheel. I truly understand how creative Hip Hop is and my approach to rap is to do as many different things music wise as possible and build on that. But most rappers like to choose the path most taken and that means a lot of people will never be heard.

Daquan Johnson's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (You can listen if you like to see what I mean)

Back