Introduction to String Arranging for Producers/Composers in Logic (VIDEO INSIDE)

i don't think there is anything sophisticated about that youtube clip,but it's a cool clip nevertheless.

"It's so refreshing to see a different sophisticated world besides all these simple ass hiphop beats that get boring and uninspiring over time."

you are not criticizing,you are hating,because what you said is absolutely not true. if you liked this clip on youtube,how can u not like current state of hiphop/rnb/pop when there are many producers who are doing the same thing youtube guy did all over their beats?

What part of my post was not true? That hiphop is simple? Simplicity makes hiphop for what it is.
Or do you have a problem with that some of the beats get boring and uninspiring over time? That statement is opininated and it's my own opinion, so why is my opinion "hating"? If you can listen to a loop over and over again without feeling bored uninspired, then fine, but for me it's not the case.

I know that Kanye West's Graduation is a great album (one of my fav) you don't need to tell me that there's such hiphop as well, I know that, and I'm not referring to such hiphop.

my only problem is that he made an 8th bar loop. so it's not much different than hip hop...but you said hip hop is simple,and this is sophisticated.:confused:

my only problem is that he made an 8th bar loop. so it's not much different than hip hop...but you said hip hop is simple,and this is sophisticated.:confused:

With "sophisticated" I don't really mean "really complex" or "really hard" I mean it in a way of "smart", I hope I'm using that word in the right way.

The chords that you see at the very beginning of the video THAT is what you'll see in most hiphop, one 5th or 7th that leads into another. But then he edits that basic frame so much that it gets to alive, and that is what I find so sophisticated or in a way smart about it.

BTW just to make it clear, I'm not knocking simple music, I'm not the type of guy that says so harder and more complex so better, in fact I like simple music *as long as* it's made in a smart way, think of Apple, their stuff is or seems simple but is still made very smartly.

In the video the guy took a basic chord skeleton (that you'd see/hear just as it is in many hiphop songs) and he made it more and more interesting and brought it alive through "part writing, passing notes, counter melodies, figures, space, runs" - that's what I found interesting and sophisticated about it.

So in a contrast I'd describe the chords how they were first in the video (at the beginning) as how chords are used in hiphop - so that would be pretty simple stuff - and how the chords were at the end that would go further than from what is used in hiphop, just as a generalization, again, I know it doesn't count for all.

Last edited:
bumped just so u cats can learn something, and take a break from TMZ.com'ing on fp all day... a couple more "FUTURE PRODUCERS" or noobs will appreciate this....

i already did this naturally, but understanding why i did it and the theory of it cements it in my head now what to do when i work w/ strings...excellent thread... very helpful and useful... and yet only 120 views... are they're REALLY future producers on this site??!!
what my nigga said^^^.........

Thank you, guys, for checking out my video and commenting on it. It really helps me to get feedback and read your opinions. I don't pretend to know it all, I am always learning, so I'm really pleased to find this site. I agree that simplicity can work well in any kind of music, but attention to detail cuts it too! Whether that is in the lyrics or production or engineering or arrangement. A lot of what we respect in a track we would only really notice if it were taken away. My thing happens to be string writing and so for me those subtle weaving inner lines are important. Harmony - well, I worked on a track from an artist in NY NY called Notar and it had only 2 chords, B minor and D (those chords are pretty similar) yet the structure and flow and emotion in the track was awesome, and as a string arranger that simplicity is very liberating. No rules, I guess, just music made with passion (and attention to detail!).

Thank you, guys, for checking out my video and commenting on it. It really helps me to get feedback and read your opinions. I don't pretend to know it all, I am always learning, so I'm really pleased to find this site. I agree that simplicity can work well in any kind of music, but attention to detail cuts it too! Whether that is in the lyrics or production or engineering or arrangement. A lot of what we respect in a track we would only really notice if it were taken away. My thing happens to be string writing and so for me those subtle weaving inner lines are important. Harmony - well, I worked on a track from an artist in NY NY called Notar and it had only 2 chords, B minor and D (those chords are pretty similar) yet the structure and flow and emotion in the track was awesome, and as a string arranger that simplicity is very liberating. No rules, I guess, just music made with passion (and attention to detail!).

Wow, thanks alot for your insight. Your video is very informative and worthwhile. I just found your youtube video by chance as a result of searching google and i decided to share it with others here. I never would've imagined that u'd actually come here and respond to the post! haha That's awesome

Thanks so much for the video on arranging too. As u can see, u'e inspired alot of people on here. They all really appreciate it. If ever u do a part 2 to that video, u should definitely post here for us. We'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks again! :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, I'm glad all u guys enjoyed the vid. Thank Realstrings. He's the one that made the video!

We are all learning, permanently, so I am always pleased to be part of the discussion in such an enthusiastic place like this, where everyone is so passionate about making music! Cam'rox, I mailed you about maybe doing a podcast interview - did you get that? BTW, making a video about my experience is a great way for ME to learn - it makes me think about what I do. Try it!

realstrings, I love the way you teach man! Straight to the point and very clear. Good stuff!

We are all learning, permanently, so I am always pleased to be part of the discussion in such an enthusiastic place like this, where everyone is so passionate about making music! Cam'rox, I mailed you about maybe doing a podcast interview - did you get that? BTW, making a video about my experience is a great way for ME to learn - it makes me think about what I do. Try it!

O really?? what email address did u send it to? I don't think I got it. Do u think u can re-send it to camrox22@gmail.com?

Back