I think Live Instrumentation is where hip hop is going to go

Spotlight I dont respect you enough as a person to give you a opinion on any topic. You've made many irresponsible racist comments in the past and continue to do so. You really dont care about other's opinions. You use your threads as platforms to promote your distorted beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
j-traxx said:

He's been attacking Blacks for a long time. There are some who make irresponsible statements but this cat is a true racist. Whenever you see racist threads on here, he's either created the thread or contributed to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
you people never heard of Too $hort or Ant Banks ???

there are lots of live instruments used in songs.

nothing wrong with not having real instruments in songs either, as long as it sounds tight.

dj spotlight said:
I think eventually cats are gonna get sick of that synthy sound and move on to live instrumentation.

^^^^I mis-read that at the begining, sorry.

I must admit there are some advantages to doing stuff live. I eventually intend to get a good drum set, and stuff and incorporate that into my music. Though it would be nice, it is not needed right now. I do really wanna get my hands on a bass guitar though. I love those type of basslines. To some degree, I do alot of live things in my music now, like playin' the piano. The sounds come off better just from being actually played out, with no quantisization (well maybe a little from time to time).

i dont think its gonna take over, but it'd be cool to see more of it. i never really gave a damn about it until i saw Pharrell sing Frontin live on mtv the other day and i could compare the live beat to the original. it was wayyy hotter. the neptunes should make live stuff from now on

right the hell on. i seen that, 2! soooooooo stoooooppppppiiiiiidddddd...... compare that to most live rap acts 2day... i think it will bcome mor poular 4 liv shoz, coz if ur payin $50 4 tix, u want ur $z wurth.......... peace

There will be hip-hop artists who use live instruments, but that will never be the only element in hip-hop production. If it was, it wouldnt last too long, cause people would get tired of the same old thing once again.

dj spotlight said:
well i hope it takes over, because im sick of synths

So does lil' john

I don't think there will ever be just the one element to hip hop, witness the sample vs synth threads that have been going on here since time began, or at least since i joined anyway!

there's a bit of consolidation going on with the whole synth concept here.

everyone does NOT use eynths the same way. i for one find it very rewarding to create a synth groove that is indestinguishable in charachter from a live counterpart. it's all how you use it. just like all sampling isnt in the same boat synth tracks arent all the same.

i cant toot my own horn because i aint even that tight as yet but all of us synth guys are not swizz beatz.

I play all my sh!t, ala Roland xp60. Most people think i sample though. Point is, theres many different ways to use a synth. The way i use it(real music) or Lil jon(arpegiod bullsh!t).

just herd NA, kaliyl! good, good!

ok, so u practice what u preach... sounds like a sample, but not... sounds catchy, but not easy to compare to ne1 elsez...

tight beatz, my friend.

ps, i still like "till tha sweat drop down ma bawlz", ha, ha

umm...possibly..iono tho.
cause e40 makes beats that are hecka synth, [yea im from up north] but his beats are dope, and iono man....different.

i just think that live instruments are gonna play a bigger role in hip hop, i mean you can see the trends starting now most of the big name producers are starting but it might just be a trend for awhile if it doesnt totally catch on. IMHO

Why do people say they hate synths? You can create any sound in the world with a synth. There are infinit possiblities when programming a synth. Its not all presets. If you hate synths then you hate most music from the 70's as well because synths were used with live instruments as they are a live instrument. Programming a moog how you want is not the easiest thing in the world.

I'd like to see more producers on stage w/ the artist triggering each track with whatever they used to make the song via MPC, Synth, or whatever! A lot of electronic artists do live shows like this & sounds nice! It also gives the track a more dynamic feel if u see the crowd reacting to certain parts of the song .....then u can keep certain bars going or switch them out w/ a couple presses of a button.

I've been to a Mos Def show like this & it was tight.

fireman_x said:
Live instrumentation is nice but extremely limited if you want to have a wide variety of sounds in your track.

your kidding right? if anything, id say live instrumentation can give more possibilities because the sounds are crisper and sound better compared to a synth which will never match against a live instrument. i think theres a time and place for synths of course, but live instruments will always have an advantage.... just check out eminems "8 mile" and 50 cents "in da club" and compare those to lil johns "yeah" or "freek a leek" and then try to compare synths to live instrumentation

Back