How Young Thug Got Trapped By A $15,000 Advance From A Major Label

He has no talent and got $15,000? WTF is he complaining about? He came up! I swear these rap dudes know nothing and do very little, but act like they are owed everything.

Last edited:
did you read all of that? that was more confusing than most legal documents. at least legal documents are just a bunch of big words. that was more confusing than that recoupable advance money situation that labels always seem to lock folks up with. i understand it's law, but why even go through all of that trouble. i know its the system, but why don't they make it simple?

again, shenanigans and semantics, then someone expecting someone to honor it, because it's the law. look at lawyers like refs. they're there to enforce the rules, or make judgment calls to help keep the game fair. not take folks out the game. where do you get a lawyer from? the ones that the label provides you with? the same people that are trying to tie you up in a wack ass contract with legal rhetoric and purposely confusing jargon? be clear.

"The biggest takeaway from the Thug mess is that the music industry is hungry for capital-A artists, who’ve independently proven themselves to be creative, polarizing, or generally attention-grabbing enough to cut through the clutter around them and engage their niche of the market."

...as opposed to just make good music.

Last edited:
Can we get a cliffnotes/FRAT version?

How does a dude that claim he's trapping get duped by 15K? 15K aint sh*t if youre pushing

"The biggest takeaway from the Thug mess is that the music industry is hungry for capital-A artists, who’ve independently proven themselves to be creative, polarizing, or generally attention-grabbing enough to cut through the clutter around them and engage their niche of the market."

...as opposed to just make good music.

But just making good music doesn't help the majors. Sales and profits has been cut so much that they no longer have the infrastructure to facilitate artist development. ALOT of people on YOUTUBE make AMAZING music, I mean legit talented singers and actual musicians, that doesnt mean that they all deserve to compete in the marketplace. Like it or not the "industry" is about pop music and record sales.

But just making good music doesn't help the majors. Sales and profits has been cut so much that they no longer have the infrastructure to facilitate artist development. ALOT of people on YOUTUBE make AMAZING music, I mean legit talented singers and actual musicians, that doesnt mean that they all deserve to compete in the marketplace. Like it or not the "industry" is about pop music and record sales.

So, you're telling me that the reason record sales have been going down exponentially has nothing to do with the fact that trash music is being made and marketed on the radio? Please tell me any industry where if you promote trash you will make more money than quality...

Artist development died post-1992. YouTube is no less and/or worse than the "old guard" music industry gatekeepers as not everything that is uploaded there goes viral and the payouts are as paltry as any from any record deal contract. No one has a monopoly as to who does and doesn't deserve to compete in the marketplace. Do your research as the industry been about pop music and record sales since the 1950s onward.

Artist development died post-1992. YouTube is no less and/or worse than the "old guard" music industry gatekeepers as not everything that is uploaded there goes viral and the payouts are as paltry as any from any record deal contract. No one has a monopoly as to who does and doesn't deserve to compete in the marketplace. Do your research as the industry been about pop music and record sales since the 1950s onward.

Only difference is the majority of people that were marketed then actually had some form of talent that could not be replicated by a 9 year old watching a Youtube video for the first time. I wonder why that is nowadays...

Only difference is the majority of people that were marketed then actually had some form of talent that could not be replicated by a 9 year old watching a Youtube video for the first time. I wonder why that is nowadays...

That is the beauty of modern times. Gurus are made in a few months, not a few decades. Most things that were learned over years or decades can be replicated in weeks or months.

There is no need for modesty or fear because the knowledge base has increased to the point where being specialized for most fields is a detriment.

Everybody has access to the same tools and technology. The student can surpass the teacher with ease these days.

That is the beauty of modern times. Gurus are made in a few months, not a few decades. Most things that were learned over years or decades can be replicated in weeks or months.

There is no need for modesty or fear because the knowledge base has increased to the point where being specialized for most fields is a detriment.

Everybody has access to the same tools and technology. The student can surpass the teacher with ease these days.

Just 'cause everybody and their Mama has access to the same tools and tech doesn't mean they can or should attempt to go viral at half-realized ideas.

Everyone BELIEVES they have access to the same tools and technology because of instant celebrity and a few followers on Youtube.

You are not getting the same level of understanding and skill set as Eric Clapton in weeks or months from some Youtube tutorials and vsts.

You are not getting the same level of verbal wordplay as Royce da 5'9", Eminem or Jay-Z from learning the latest Young Thug "hit" in a couple days.

Only in FutureProducers is in commonly accepted that "musicians" can learn their craft from pirating some pre-made synth patches and watching a Youtube clip on how to make a DJ Mustard style beat. I'd love to go to FutureAuthors and see someone say they're going to have more best sellers than Stephen King, but they can't even read or write a complete sentence. I'd love to go to FutureChefs and see someone say they're going to have a 5 star restaurant, but can't even filet a fish. Reality TV and pop marketing have really conditioned people to think they are better than their role models and the creators. Read up on the 10,000 hour rule.

So, you're telling me that the reason record sales have been going down exponentially has nothing to do with the fact that trash music is being made and marketed on the radio? Please tell me any industry where if you promote trash you will make more money than quality...

Sales have declined because of technology, not because of the quality of the artistry. DVD sales have plummeted because of the same reason. Soon cable tv will be next. When technology meets a dinosaur industry, and the industry refuses to adapt, you get what we have here.

This. Technology is a mofo. If demand is constant, and suddenly you have a massive influx of supply (due to technology), prices have nowhere to go but down.

Everyone BELIEVES they have access to the same tools and technology because of instant celebrity and a few followers on Youtube.

You are not getting the same level of understanding and skill set as Eric Clapton in weeks or months from some Youtube tutorials and vsts.

You are not getting the same level of verbal wordplay as Royce da 5'9", Eminem or Jay-Z from learning the latest Young Thug "hit" in a couple days.

Only in FutureProducers is in commonly accepted that "musicians" can learn their craft from pirating some pre-made synth patches and watching a Youtube clip on how to make a DJ Mustard style beat. I'd love to go to FutureAuthors and see someone say they're going to have more best sellers than Stephen King, but they can't even read or write a complete sentence. I'd love to go to FutureChefs and see someone say they're going to have a 5 star restaurant, but can't even filet a fish. Reality TV and pop marketing have really conditioned people to think they are better than their role models and the creators. Read up on the 10,000 hour rule.

No one needs to be like the old guys. They did what they had to do back then to be hot. The newer and younger guys are doing what they have to do to be hot. Never idolize an idol when you can become an idol yourself. Young guys just need to throw away the history books and build their own legacies.

No one needs to be like the old guys. They did what they had to do back then to be hot. The newer and younger guys are doing what they have to do to be hot. Never idolize an idol when you can become an idol yourself. Young guys just need to throw away the history books and build their own legacies.

I hope offline you are not in the biz of giving advice to industry hopefuls. Legacies took time to build and the ADD/ADHD generation is about instant gratification too much to understand much less think about having legacies, plus given the nature of technology the idea of a legacy sounds non-existent.

Last edited:
Sales have declined because of technology, not because of the quality of the artistry. DVD sales have plummeted because of the same reason. Soon cable tv will be next. When technology meets a dinosaur industry, and the industry refuses to adapt, you get what we have here.

So, "technology" is a new phenomenon in the past 10 years?

C'mon Desire - you're a smart guy and I follow your work. You are one of the old guys and I hope you really don't think a kid could learn everything you know in a couple weeks.

...and those that don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. If I had a dollar for every person I know who was hardheaded and thought the rules of Life didn't apply to them, then were surprised when Life kicked them in the mouth and they wanted to blame someone else for them not learning from others...

C'mon Desire - you're a smart guy and I follow your work. You are one of the old guys and I hope you really don't think a kid could learn everything you know in a couple weeks.

...and those that don't learn history are doomed to repeat it. If I had a dollar for every person I know who was hardheaded and thought the rules of Life didn't apply to them, then were surprised when Life kicked them in the mouth and they wanted to blame someone else for them not learning from others...

I don't think learning from history will help people to deal with new situations. Even if people avoid old problems, new ones wills arise. What will the older guys be able to do to solve those new problems?

Most will not care because the new problems are for the new generation to figure out. That is why I say that young people should not follow older people's paths. New problems will call for new solutions. Who is better equipped to handle those problems? Young people are.

I don't think learning from history will help people to deal with new situations. Even if people avoid old problems, new ones wills arise. What will the older guys be able to do to solve those new problems?

Most will not care because the new problems are for the new generation to figure out. That is why I say that young people should not follow older people's paths. New problems will call for new solutions. Who is better equipped to handle those problems? Young people are.

"The only thing that can ruin a good day is People" - Henry David Thoreau

There's nothing new under the sun and the problems we face today are the same human manufactured ones our ancestors faced regardless of "technology". I'm sure you could teach a ton of knowledge to these kids on licensing and libraries from your experience that they can't learn by reading a book.

I see what you're saying, but I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Back