How are people selling sampled beats

Status
Not open for further replies.

MongolX

with exclusive rights when im sure they didnt clear all the samples? like on soundclick and such. is this legal to sell sampled beats??? maybe im just in the dark here?

Last edited:
How is the Rapper responsable for this?
The artist didn't come up with the production. It is the producer who takes the sample and makes a beat out of it.

How is the Rapper responsable for this?
The artist didn't come up with the production. It is the producer who takes the sample and makes a beat out of it.

yea but if I sold you the beat 'exclusively' then it now belongs to you and all responsibilities and obligations are on you..

yea but if I sold you the beat 'exclusively' then it now belongs to you and all responsibilities and obligations are on you..

Yea but if you're sampling a record without clearing the sample, the content was never yours anyways.

I could be wrong though...i don't do sampled beats...however, most of the dudes on soundclick look like they don't clear up ****.

Last edited:
Yea but if you're sampling a record without clearing the sample, the beat was never yours anyways.

I could be wrong though...i don't do sampled beats...however, most of the dudes on soundclick look like they don't clear up ****.

Person that plans to release the material commercially ie
Label, artist etc is responsible for clearing the sample not the beatmaker unless he/she plans to release it commercially

Last edited:
Yea but if you're sampling a record without clearing the sample, the content was never yours anyways.

lol now you're getting technical and I understand your point but if that be the case then the artist and producer are gonna have work that out

the reason its the artists job is because nobody clears a sample for a 'beat'

'beats' dont matter in the big picture because if you curse in your SONG a gospel artist will most likely not clear it

they want to hear the song, the nature of use..you know the final product

so even if some one were stupid enough to try...it wouldnt happen

also if it WERE possible
do u realize how much money would be spent in clearing a sample, what are the chances youll make that money back?
you just spend 20k on a sample so u could lease the beat for 19.99?

as much as its the producers fault for using the sample
its the artists fault for liking the beat that contains a sample

because all the people selling sampled beats on soundclick don't care. they're not exactly buzzing on the radar. no money is to be made off them. in regards to getting samples cleared, if you're a producer and you sell a beat to someone then it's on them to get the sample cleared. not you. in reality it should be on the record label or whoever is publishing it.

but in reality none of this really matters.

Clearing a sample at soundclick levels...please
You think Master P cleared samples when he was on the come up???? Hell no. When you start buzzing and you're on the radar than it's best to clear your samples.

Now if you're Kanye, Premo or Dre then you use a company that clears all your sample. They negotiate with sampled artist.

Last edited:
It's all about the contracting. You sell sampled beats "exclusive with contractual stipulations". If you have any clue of what you're doing. If you don't, you're selling something you don't own. You can always clear them yourself as well. But in any situation where the money is worth the clearance the label will take it into consideration. You don't have to.

Selling a beat with an uncleared sample is no more "illegal" than using academic software to make music that generates profit.Even the biggest name producers do it. That's why sometimes songs make mixtapes and get radio rotations under the pretense it will appear on the album and then doesn't due to sample clearance. It's happened to Foxy Brown, Nas, T.I., even Jay-Z. Happened with tracks made by everyone from Kanye to Swizz to Just Blaze to Irv Gotti to Linkin Park.

If the beat's worth getting cleared to you as an artist or label, get it cleared or I'll find someone who will. Simple as that.

My job was to make the beat. If the beat contains a sample, it's not illegal for me to make a beat with a sample. BUT IT IS ILLEGAL if you as an artist or label COMMERCIALLY RELEASE the beat I made with the sample in it without clearing it. Sounds like you have the legal problem.....NOT ME (the producer). I'm not releasing it....YOU ARE!!!!!

So, if you as an artist or label don't want to pay to clear samples, don't buy beats with samples in them.

Last edited:
Phuck clearing samples plenty of industry cats don't clear ****. That's what sucks about all these sites that tell you samples used by hip hop producers. We should all Keep that **** between ourselves and not share it all over the internet.

if the beats worth getting cleared to you as an artist or label, get it cleared or i'll find someone who will. Simple as that.

My job was to make the beat. If the beat contains a sample, it's not illegal for me to make a beatwith a sample. but it is illegal if you as an artist or label commercially release the beat i made with the sample in it without clearing it. Sounds like you have the legal problem.....not me (the producer). I'm not releasing it....you are!!!!!

So, if you as an artist or label don't want to pay to clear samples, don't buy beats with samples in them.

the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back