How much $$ do you get for a placement??

Broken Friday said:
$7,000? Pssstt... I'm 18 live with my parents and have no bills, so that'd be hella nice, plus the euphoria you'd receive from reading your name in the booklet.

yeah and if the song was a hit you'd be quite pissed if they made six figures and you got stuck with the seven. happened to a few producers i know who shall remain nameless. you live and you learn

And to recommend another book check out confessions of a record producer by moses avalon. He goes into a lot of the shadier business practices and details not found in most books. Things i've witnessed already so its definitely a good read

Peace

Last edited:
You're right, but I'm talking about $7,000 for my first placement, with proper negotiations including proper royalty discussions, etc...

KomplexBeats said:
yeah and if the song was a hit you'd be quite pissed if they made six figures and you got stuck with the seven. happened to a few producers i know who shall remain nameless. you live and you learn

And to recommend another book check out confessions of a record producer by moses avalon. He goes into a lot of the shadier business practices and details not found in most books. Things i've witnessed already so its definitely a good read

Peace

It just shows that most people dont value themselves and their work. Its like they are so desperate for that first major placement that they screw themselves over. The dude who made the "Wankster" beat hasnt had a hit or done anything ever since, but im sure he got quite well off from the 50 and 8 mile albums. Can you imagine if all he got was 5gs for the beat and no royalties just so he can get his name out there???? lololol
I think way too many people on these boards accept it as a given that they will get ****ed over when they sign a contract, so they expect it, actually they think this is the only alternative. Well guess whats gonna happen to them??/

i know a cat who got picked up by Universal, and they threw him half a mill..that's also to fund his album and ****, but still....a goodlook. no clue about royalties..

Staggerlee said:
It just shows that most people dont value themselves and their work. Its like they are so desperate for that first major placement that they screw themselves over. The dude who made the "Wankster" beat hasnt had a hit or done anything ever since, but im sure he got quite well off from the 50 and 8 mile albums. Can you imagine if all he got was 5gs for the beat and no royalties just so he can get his name out there???? lololol
I think way too many people on these boards accept it as a given that they will get ****ed over when they sign a contract, so they expect it, actually they think this is the only alternative. Well guess whats gonna happen to them??/
all that stuff is trivial, maybe that dude didnt get anymore work because he's weak?

this is why i tell dudes, dont bother shoppin your work if u kno u have an issue with consistency, bc ur gonna fall flat on your face when u develope all those connects and end up ****in up bc ur entire catalogue is trash and ur whole career is based on ONE beat that u lucked out on ......cats gotta be real with themselves

**** the money, get your credits and raise your stock....yall dudes got the game twisted....and a label would be VERY generous to give an unknown producer 7,000.....infact, if u hit an exec up talkin bout 7 stacks, they gonna ask u how many placements u got, and when u say zero....trust, that price will be dropped to the 4's and u better go ahead and take that advance and get ur credit up, so next time they ask u what albums u've been on u can say who and build up some weight to ask for a 10g advance.....

credits mean WAY more than money.......7,000 dollas is nothing, nothing worth missing out on gettin ya weight up on....credits is what gets u paid MORE later.....

URBANTACTICS said:
all that stuff is trivial, maybe that dude didnt get anymore work because he's weak?

this is why i tell dudes, dont bother shoppin your work if u kno u have an issue with consistency, bc ur gonna fall flat on your face when u develope all those connects and end up ****in up bc ur entire catalogue is trash and ur whole career is based on ONE beat that u lucked out on ......cats gotta be real with themselves

**** the money, get your credits and raise your stock....yall dudes got the game twisted....and a label would be VERY generous to give an unknown producer 7,000.....infact, if u hit an exec up talkin bout 7 stacks, they gonna ask u how many placements u got, and when u say zero....trust, that price will be dropped to the 4's and u better go ahead and take that advance and get ur credit up, so next time they ask u what albums u've been on u can say who and build up some weight to ask for a 10g advance.....

credits mean WAY more than money.......7,000 dollas is nothing, nothing worth missing out on gettin ya weight up on....credits is what gets u paid MORE later.....

:victory:

invisible-crack-pipe.jpg

URBANTACTICS said:

Good words... I think that is very true... The more placements you have, the more the other artist, manager, A&R, labelhead knows what you can do... If you can consistantely get placements, then they should have no problem putting you on, seeing as the other artist(s) chose you for a reason...

The more your name gets out there, the more they'll be coming to you!

URBANTACTICS said:

Could you give an example of where you've chosen credits over money and how its benefeited you in the long run?

URBANTACTICS said:

Of course. But that doesnt mean **** yourself over for just some credit. Again plenty of stories of people who signed beats away and threw their future in the gutter.
Plus it is negotiation, it is selling. Sometimes if a deal is not working to your advantage u have to have the balls to walk away and not get the sale. And you usually get it, because the other person gets insecure. And I do that for a living.
Of course you cant expect the stars and what not, but dont get cheated out of your royalties (long term passive income) just for mere credit. If you are taken advantage of once, learn ur lesson and act better the next time, if you deal with crooks, then you must be in bad company.

Staggerlee said:
But that doesnt mean **** yourself over for just some credit.

how are u fukking yourself over if ur getting credit on a majorly released album?

that upfront money is nothing more than an advance.....u will see much more money later in royalties......

do u have any placements my dude, my guess is you probrably dont....

bc ur logic makes no sense, at all.....sometimes yall gotta check that paranoia at the door and just get on ya job, because for a new producer: credit > money........ALWAYS

Cameron Thomas said:
Could you give an example of where you've chosen credits over money and how its benefeited you in the long run?
theres no certain situation i can give u.....but these dudes on here expect 10,000 on their first placement need to kinda settle down and face reality that, thats not gonna happen...

the more credit u get, the more respect u get behind the scenes....its really that simple, the same politics that make it hard to get in the game, are the same politics that will keep you in the game once u got both of your feet in there and u stay consistent

staggerlee brought up producers that got a placement and dropped off the face of the earth....hey, what can i say, they were wack and only had one beat that they lucked out on......some cats aint built for this....

these A&Rs are looking for producers they can depend on, they not lookin for just ONE HOT BEAT, they lookin for HOT PRODUCERS with HOT BEATS.......so yall need to look at it as your actual worth to the game, instead of just lookin at it beat - to - beat....bc it dont work like that.....

Last edited:
URBANTACTICS said:
how are u fukking yourself over if ur getting credit on a majorly released album?

that upfront money is nothing more than an advance.....u will see much more money later in royalties......

bc ur logic makes no sense, at all.....sometimes yall gotta check that paranoia at the door and just get on ya job, because for a new producer: credit > money........ALWAYS

Could you give an example of where you've chosen credits over money and how its benefeited you in the long run or are you avoiding this question?

URBANTACTICS said:
your question was answered

My bad your answer hadn't posted yet. I understand what you're saying but producers are constantly being taken advantage of. No you shouldn't expect 10k for your first placement but you should be compensated for the work you do. I guess I can't blame these labels taking advantage because a lot of producers are completely willing to just give up their material. The money isn't that important to me it's about integrity and there are only a few situations I'd be willing to give up something I've worked hard on. I could be screwing myself over turning down offers I don't feel are good enough but I'd rather not devalue my work. For the time being I'm not playing the game. It's become another rat race basically.

URBANTACTICS said:

theres no certain situation i can give u.....but these dudes on here expect 10,000 on their first placement need to kinda settle down and face reality that, thats not gonna happen...

the more credit u get, the more respect u get behind the scenes....its really that simple, the same politics that make it hard to get in the game, are the same politics that will keep you in the game once u got both of your feet in there and u stay consistent

staggerlee brought up producers that got a placement and dropped off the face of the earth....hey, what can i say, they were wack and only had one beat that they lucked out on......some cats aint built for this....

these A&Rs are looking for producers they can depend on, they not lookin for just ONE HOT BEAT, they lookin for HOT PRODUCERS with HOT BEATS.......so yall need to look at it as your actual worth to the game, instead of just lookin at it beat - to - beat....bc it dont work like that.....

I guess there was some misscommunication. I didnt mean screw up your chances of getting a major placement by asking too much in advance. I meant get your royalties straight. If you do that, than you dont even need the advance, unless you think the albums gonna be a straight flop. I agree with you on what you said, my point was not to sign your music away to someone else just in exchange of seeing getting credit on an album.
If you really want to think long terms, refuse an advance in exchange of higher royalty rate from album sales, and maybe better publishing ratio for yourself vs the artist.

Staggerlee said:
I guess there was some misscommunication. I didnt mean screw up your chances of getting a major placement by asking too much in advance. I meant get your royalties straight. If you do that, than you dont even need the advance, unless you think the albums gonna be a straight flop. I agree with you on what you said, my point was not to sign your music away to someone else just in exchange of seeing getting credit on an album.
If you really want to think long terms, refuse an advance in exchange of higher royalty rate from album sales, and maybe better publishing ratio for yourself vs the artist.

yeah, my old management had deals where we wouldnt even ask for an advance, just backend....but i ended up asking to be released from them, due to them just not doing their job as "managers"....

and yeah, i definitely would pass up on indie deals if the money aint right....those type of credits can only hold weight if the indie makes noise, which is hardly ever the case....so yea i agree with u in that aspect....

Cameron Thomas said:
My bad your answer hadn't posted yet. I understand what you're saying but producers are constantly being taken advantage of. No you shouldn't expect 10k for your first placement but you should be compensated for the work you do. I guess I can't blame these labels taking advantage because a lot of producers are completely willing to just give up their material. The money isn't that important to me it's about integrity and there are only a few situations I'd be willing to give up something I've worked hard on. I could be screwing myself over turning down offers I don't feel are good enough but I'd rather not devalue my work. For the time being I'm not playing the game. It's become another rat race basically.

exactly....u should

and if all u did was track the beat out and overnighted it to def jam, faxed in a w9 and had a couple phone calls with A&R administration arranging payments and etc... thats not work....the real work is being there actually producing the song, which 99% of the time a fresh producer out the gate isnt doing....so u get hit off with the production services and some points if your mouth-piece is on-point and the A&R runnin the project is a good dude.....

gotta think about the future instead of holding on to one beat u THINK is a jewel, bc if u made one, u'll make another.....sell that track, make more beats and make your goals as a producer become lucrative......all that integrity stuff and all that sounds good, but thats it....it only sounds good, it doesnt help u, yall gotta remember that business is nothing but a legalized scam........

Last edited:
You all are mistaken, it's not credit > money or money > credit

its money + credit = good times

Back