How Many of You Get Paid for Beatmaking?

G

GimpSpack

Hey, what's good?

I've been beatmaking for about a year now, and while I'm not considering "production" as a serious career (at least not now), I want to use what little talent I have at beatmaking into a somewhat profitable hobby.

My question is this: How many of you have EVER gotten paid for a beat you either leased or sold to an independant (or major) artist? I want to know how realistic it is to make a bit of side money in the lease game.

I know threads like this have been done before, and I've read them. But, I really want to know the scope of people getting payed by leasing beats on this forum.

So, have you ever gotten paid for leasing a beat. If so, how often, and is it worth the time you put in?

Thanks! :cheers:

I have been making beats for around 4 years and producing for 1.
Haven't sold 1 beat, and I won't until I feel I'm ready.

You'd be better off finding a (talented) rapper to work with and lease him some beats and see how that goes.
You may not get paid, but it is good experience.

When I was 1 year into making beats, selling them didn't even cross my mind. I just wanted to get better.

My personal opinion is that 1 year of making beats is too early to sell.
Unless you're really good.

You'd be better off finding a (talented) rapper to work with and lease him some beats and see how that goes.

When I was 1 year into making beats, selling them didn't even cross my mind. I just wanted to get better.

You cant really put a time limit on when someone is good enough to sell beats. Some cats have more talent then others.

i dont know about that K. ur gonna be makin em anyway, if someone is willin to pay why not make a little money. will it be ur hottest beat ever, no, but if someone is willing to, out of all beats available, buy urs, why not? im still learning and trying to get better, but sell as i go. sold beats for 50-100, mostly 50. not like i been bankin but that beat money bought me my mpd, a gang of computer parts (ppl payin wit paypal so i went to ebay), BILLS, trees, bought to buy me an iphone, nah mean? now im goin back and takin the other beats i didnt think were good enough to present, not enough in the sample to have any variety, w/e w/e, sellin em for 25, and ppl jumped all over it. times are hard, and ppl still buyin. if not from u from someone else. when u get that OJT, on the job trainig, they pay u. welllll u learnin, get paid while u do it.

Well whenever you feel ready to start selling beats, start selling em. But time is no factor at all.

Start sellin beats the moment someone asks "How much do you charge for beats?" If you've never gotten that question in any way shape or form, you're not ready to sell beats.

Well I have been making beats for exactly only one year...and I've been recently overflooded with requests for beats...
Try to make an average on what you see other people are selling their composition at...
See where you wanna fit and don't be too greedy at first... don't underestimate you too...

But overall, my aim is higher than selling, and for that, I don't wanna spend 4 years and telling myself, I will be good with time... I will rather optimize my time to get good in "no time"... ! That's my nindo ;)

Well I have been making beats for exactly only one year...and I've been recently overflooded with requests for beats...
Try to make an average on what you see other people are selling their composition at...
See where you wanna fit and don't be too greedy at first... don't underestimate you too...

But overall, my aim is higher than selling, and for that, I don't wanna spend 4 years and telling myself, I will be good with time... I will rather optimize my time to get good in "no time"... ! That's my nindo ;)

So...Have you ever sold any?

BTW, I'm not asking for advice on selling beats - I've already formulated a game plan by observing at least a 100 different (somewhat successful) lease artists, and reading up about online promotion excessively, so I'm not focussing on HOW to sell beats.

I just wanna know how many cats on here are ACTUALLY MAKING MONEY. And by the looks of it, not that many...

:hello:

Sold plenty. Ranging from .99 Cents to $3000.

Ok money.

haha thanks. That is "ok" money lol (I'm mostly broke, so any amount of money sounds good to me)
But I've heard you're ish before, and it's mostly fire, so that doesn't surprise me :cheers:

Is anyone other than Troup actually pullin in $$$ from this beat thing? Or is everyone just "dreaming/hoping" of becomming the next up-and-coming producer?

Yeah, and as we are speaking now, I am writting some contracts... :)
But I must confess that all that came only until recently when I benefited of a boost in exposure...
You can check where my skills are at the moment here : myspace.com/blackbaserecords

So, if after one year and with that amount of skills, I can sell, some other people can too I guess.

For the moment it's little money, but I don't have Troup experience,
But I'm using my head to market myself... only thing which makes me happy to be attending a business school...

Last edited:
Well let's see.

1. Your thread is exactly 1 hour old...
2. Forums are mostly populated by people who are slacking at work.
3. You asked "Beatmaking" it's a forum populated with lots of other cats besides the guy-who-wanna-sell-beats.

I just wanna know how many cats on here are ACTUALLY MAKING MONEY. And by the looks of it, not that many...

And you seem suprised that the majority of posters are beginner to intermediate and more so that this thread has relatively few views so I wouldn't consider it a forum wide sampling poll just yet.

AND if you aint making no big money- then you're also helping to bring the forum wide average down. Thanks.

Well let's see.

1. Your thread is exactly 1 hour old...
2. Forums are mostly populated by people who are slacking at work.
3. You asked "Beatmaking" it's a forum populated with lots of other cats besides the guy-who-wanna-sell-beats.

And you seem suprised that the majority of posters are beginner to intermediate and more so that this thread has relatively few views so I wouldn't consider it a forum wide sampling poll just yet.

AND if you aint making no big money- then you're also helping to bring the forum wide average down. Thanks.

Well, considering how everyone and their brother on this forum (such as yourself) talkes like they're BIG ISH, I would assume many people in here have experience with this sort of thing. Just an innocent assumption.

BTW, have you made $$$?

I made up a website dedicated to sell my beats a month ago and I have sold my first beat the last week.

It's only one week, but I'm glad, since I have already sold 4 beats ... more than all I've done in my entire life until then !

haha thanks. That is "ok" money lol (I'm mostly broke, so any amount of money sounds good to me)
But I've heard you're ish before, and it's mostly fire, so that doesn't surprise me :cheers:

Is anyone other than Troup actually pullin in $$$ from this beat thing? Or is everyone just "dreaming/hoping" of becomming the next up-and-coming producer?

Still dreaming here. But I'm Making more then you I see

Last edited:
"Still dreaming here. But I'm Making more then you I see..."

Wow, this thread is about to turn....
and in case you hadn't noticed, this was the sarcastic line that strated it...

Or is everyone just "dreaming/hoping" of becomming the next up-and-coming producer?

Don't blame me, I'm not a big fish at all. I'm just the guy that changes the water and every so often explains why that fish in the corner is floating upside down.

I use to sell my Casio beats for $50 back in middle school and throughout high school and once I matured in my music I began selling 2 tracks for $100-$2000 a week. I haven't hit $3000 YET, but networking IMO is invaluable so I've put beat selling to the back to get my netowrk up.

ive been "serious" on the production since i was 14ish.. used to barter off my beats for throwback jerseys, jordans, and new era caps.. around 17 i started sellin beats for 20-400 bucks to niggas in high school.. (cuz apparently everyone is a rapper then.. or sold weed)... 18-19 i gave my self a price bump to like 500-1000 when i started networking via myspace.. now at age 20 ive made my first major placement on Jim Jones Pray IV Reign album.. that was 5k so its progressive.. just lookin to keep at it.. basically.. i think once u feel comfortable enough to put urself out there.. u can get SOMETHING for your music..

Back