how many tracks do u use...

elbee

...to make your music (on average, not using live instruments)? what's been the least number of tracks u have used and had a hot song?

4 - keep in mind i think its hot... it may be wack to everyone else :).

Jos

Last edited:
6 is the least.

The most I've used was 14, I think I hit the 16 mark.

Pe@ce

Last edited:
Two tracks....I had this perfect sample that I was able to flip in various ways on one track...and the drums on another track.

sumthin hot the lease like 8-10 u cant do nuthin ill wit 4 tracks

jdizz22 said:
sumthin hot the lease like 8-10 u cant do nuthin ill wit 4 tracks

Some of the best music in Rock N Roll was recorded on 4 track recorders back in the days and thats using live instrumentation (example: The Beatles)so it was alot harder. Hip Hop the majority of the time is just programming beats so its alot easier and with the digital capabilities of today u can do all types of magic on even 2 tracks!!!

elbee said:
(on average, not using live instruments)

i swear this was in the question, i know u can do it wit live instuments but u cant make nuthin hot wit 2 tracks unless u have a sample all set wit everthing u need

Last edited by a moderator:
jdizz22 said:

i swear this was in the question, i know u can do it wit live instuments but u cant make nuthin hot wit 2 tracks unless u have a sample all set wit everthing u need

I know what the question was! Put it this way, if musicians can bang something hot on 4 track recorders with live instrumentation then imagine what you can do with programing the same instruments with software power! And yes you can bang something hot with 2 tracks!!! You said it yourself a tight ass sample with everything in it you just have to tweak it and make it your own!

jdizz22 said:
u cant do nuthin ill wit 4 tracks

Think not, well tell little john that lol.

10 or 11 counting drums and sounds from a keyboard.

You wanna use the least amount of tracks, but get as much outta those trax as possible.

You want it to sound as much like a live band as possible. (ex. band only has 4 instruments at a time)

Thats what seperates hits from the soundclick bs.

How are yall coming up with these numbers. There is no way you can generalize all your music and say they must all have a certain number of programmed tracks. Thats just like writing a cook book with all your recipes having the same exact ingredients.

The number of tracks depends on the mood and feeling you are aiming for. If its a simple drum and bass loop to freestyle over than, thats all you'll need. If you are lookin to stir up emotions in the listener, then you will more than likely need more tracks to achieve this.(Not true in all cases, but most of the time). And so on and so forth.

Back