How exactly did famous acts blow up?

Finny701

Can anybody tell me precisely how Tyler the Creator's Bastard and Kendrick Lamar's Overly Dedicated blew up? I'm not sure if Tyler had gained notoriety in Odd Future before his solo debut or Kendrick in Black Hippy, but both debuts received some serious feedback. I'm not sure if they both has extensive fan bases prior to their releases, that is why I ask. I just want to know the angle they took to achieve their fame. Like, was their shit just that good to go from a nobody to a somebody so easily? Feedback would be appreciated.

Built up a strong local/regional following and carpet bombed the blogosphere with music, networked like crazy-----and ate a bug on video.

Yeah I can see how Tyler did it. He's highly controversial, and people eat that shit up. But Kendrick isn't anywhere near as controversial. He's a lot more of an artist when it comes to hip-hop. Did he come up the same way as Tyler?

His first mix tape got lots of local attention, and he was pretty much at the heart of hip-hop. Right in there, Compton, area. He kept hustling, building up his rep, releasing music, getting features on other growing artists. Featured with Jay Rock who later blew up,

Later released another mixtape with a song called ignorance is bliss, reached the doctors ears. The rest is history.

Alot of cats seem to forget that Kendrick had Anthony Tiffith behind him or that he was touring and doing songs for years with Jay Rock. Kendrick was on a Game track, embarrassed Charles Hamiltion with a freestyle, been in Lil Wayne studio sessions, and worked with Jake One and Rapper Big Pooh before he was even knew who he was, and this is just the TIP of the iceberg. Like Bloody Glove said, there was no happenstance in his gain to fame

Yeah, I agree its the managers and people guiding them up. Tyler even credits his manager for success on his new album.

You're probably the second person on here (me being the first) who has ever mentioned or posted anything related to SWOT.

I had a great marketing professor who really work with me and allowed me to fellow her ..pretty much a mentor and she taught me alot about this and how to put it in place for life and for a business as that was her job..she was independent marketing coach mostly for start-ups

great post
I suggest watching at these one video and reading one article on business a day

-Coach Antonio

Alot of cats seem to forget that Kendrick had Anthony Tiffith behind him or that he was touring and doing songs for years with Jay Rock. Kendrick was on a Game track, embarrassed Charles Hamiltion with a freestyle, been in Lil Wayne studio sessions, and worked with Jake One and Rapper Big Pooh before he was even knew who he was, and this is just the TIP of the iceberg. Like Bloody Glove said, there was no happenstance in his gain to fame
How could a nobody get those kind of opportunities, though?

You're probably the second person on here (me being the first) who has ever mentioned or posted anything related to SWOT.

SWOT, Game theory, Sigma 6...I'm not leaving that knowledge in the lecture hall applied these streets the same night I learned about it!

It's good to see other people on this forum into this kind of stuff.

Blowing Up = Pre Launch Phase in business

I must admit, I'm focused on the business/finance aspect of music production/distribution more than the music these days. The music will always be #1 but even with a mediocre singer/rapper..one could generate a modest income for themselves if they got surgical with their approach. Cats want to act like making it in entertainment is based on some passive attraction to the talent....NO..its very deliberate and focused!

Last edited:
word of mouth bro.. someone told somebody that told somebody that told somebody that got it to the right person.... the people spread music

i guess i have to be the one to say it since no one else will - Illuminati

and im joking i highly doubt ppl planning to take over the world have time or the will or even see a benefit in promoting/pushing music acts

How could a nobody get those kind of opportunities, though?

Management haven't you been reading the thread?

Money as well...

Funding from some source who had a lot of faith in you.

Don't y'all get it ?

You can be whoever you want to be in any industry, you gotta have your money right 1st.

Welcome to America.

Back