How do You tell a Producer he SUCKS!

Somebody comes at u with these beats, these 1-2 drums, scrambled up dumb ass chopped up samples, extra off beat...... how do you tell him he sucks, or do u not tell em

It is important to tell someone they suck but it is more important to tell them how not to suck.
all tearing down must be followed with building up.

all the things you name that make the beat suck can be used to teach this person how to make a good track.

if it sucks because there are only one or two drums and it sounds empty, teach that person the art of layering/laying down percussion etc
if it sucks because scrambled up show them the purpose and technique of building/composing a beat
if it sucks because its off beat show the person how to count bars and stay on the metronome
point them in the right direction for chopping samples.

every wack producer/rapper is a potential good one if ego is out of the way and they are willing to learn.

^ Exactly, tear down and then help in creating a foundation on which they can build back up. Don't just pull out the wrecking ball and then bounce, lol

if someone can't accept you being honest with them, then they shouldn't have asked in the first place. never second guess yourself for keepin it real...

first time someone told me my beats sucked, i was like 16 years old... and i was like man you just have shitty taste in beats... now looking back, boy did my beats suck! lmao....but i do remember dude explain to me, the sample chops were alright....but he was looking more for original, composed stuff to get away from having to license the samples.......and that the drums were weak...the patterns were good...but the drum samples were wack..kicks not banging hard enough...snares not cracking like they should...hi hats not having that shimmer effect.... the mixes weren't that great.........so i did take everything he said, and spent a long time reading about mixing/mastering, and got my hands on good drums....and my beats gradually got better and better the more time i spent making them and learning..........so to go along with what joey tunez said.....if you're going to tell someone they suck....at least give them pointers to get better. point out what sucks, and offer techniques or whatever for them to be able to improve that.

Honesty is good. Why not, ya know? Artists are told they suck and they're good all the time, by all kinds of people. I wouldn't make or break my aspirations based on 1 person's opinion, that's for sure. But like others have said, I'd prefer some constructive criticism with my ass-kicking.

Why tell him/her?

Was your opinion asked?

If not, it's not important

Most people don't ask me if they have a booger in their nose or food in their teeth (because they don't know) but if i see it i am going to tell them so that they don't embarass themselves.

Last edited:
Make it as constructive as possible...i.e. "You might wanna work on getting your sample timing right"

I disagree. Too many hot headed lames saturating the market. I have NO problem telling someone they are wack in a market consisting of everyone thinking they are dope.

I disagree. Too many hot headed lames saturating the market. I have NO problem telling someone they are wack in a market consisting of everyone thinking they are dope.
I agree with this if the person is cocky as hell but their music sucks. If the person was level headed and just trying to get better I would first point out the grood qualities in the track if any then point out what is wrong or what needs to be fixed and how to fix it.

let em suck. we used to laugh at wack producers who didnt realize it back in the day. i was one of the ones who got laughed at now i do most of the laughing

Back