How do you sample with a straight face?

BiggRome 2.0

Can you dig it ?
I mean... smh...

How do you put something up online and have people saying it's tight when you know all you did was sift through records, chop out something and add drums...

... that used to fly before there was no affordable equipment but now... it don't fly.

WAR Lord Finesse

(leaves...)

Last edited:
Maybe if cats just loop, sure, thats pretty lame. Or just flat out not creative. there are dudes with some real creativity though that create compositions that sound nothing like the original sampled song. Thats nothing to be ashamed of or talk down on.
Aint that a sample in your sig btw?!

As a producer that primarly composes but still likes to sample here and there, I personally don't see why not...

The feeling I get out of making something new by sampling another piece of music and bringing a whole different vibe/mood/aggression to it is just as gratifying to me as when I compose

how do u make wack ass shit like the one in your signature and keep a straight face when u think its dope lol

i dont know you nor do i have a problem with u at all but posting threads like this still is just blatant trollin

Last edited:
To this interested (somewhat) outsider, I'd say the answer has a lot more nuance-- There's a big difference between Puff Daddy/P-Diddy and the Kanye Westerners and Jay Dilla.

Jay Dilla sampled, but he could do it with two straight faces...

GJ

Last edited:
how do u make wack ass shit like the one in your signature and keep a straight face when u think its dope lol

i dont know you nor do i have a problem with u at all but posting threads like this still is just blatant trollin

Should probably change your name to LOOPzilla.

BTW, I meant "somewhat outsider," not "somewhat interested."
Definitely interested, but I can't claim ground-zero Hip-Hop street cred.

GJ

If it sounds better than your work, does it really matter if they can keep a straight face making it?

What I find funny is how a lot of people think their use of slices puts them streets ahead of anyone who uses loops....honestly it's not that hard to slice shit so small that the original timing becomes irrelevant and then bang that shit out on monophonic pads so it sounds like a CD is doing back flips.

growing up listing to hip hop sampled beats were some of my fav.. from the west to east to south they all had sampled beats but the thing was, i wassent making beats yet so i didnt even know, ya know..
but yea i started making beats and composed all of them.. I remeber going through a phase where i just had to learn how to sample.. well, i made a few hot beats and feel confident with my sampling skills but i just dont ever sample.. i like the idea of starting from scratch and creating my own shit from the bottom up.. if i hear a sample i like, i'l just take notes what instruments are playing then i'l try to recreate, IF ANYTHING, but i dont do that eihter LOL.

YEA, i forgot what i was typing about but back on topic, some people sample every damn track.. i know a dude who would straight use the whole shit except a kck, snare and bass.. he would make half ass tracks by the dozens, every week.. i cant do that.. i have tocompose my shit and spend time on my shit.. hours , days or even weeks..

I dont know what im trying to get at here but i feel you though, to an extent

This sample beat shits on every weak ass boo boo ass chuckie cheese ass trap beat ever made. Give up making trap beats......you can never have the hardest one. The shit will sound like some got damn farris wheel music compared to it. Scr8 up!!!

Naw man...nevermind.....Chuckie Cheese go hard dan a mug dow.

Yall make trap beats for kid. LMAO! What would Project Pat say if he heard yo trap beats? "MANE........GET THIS SHIT UP OUTTA HUUR...play me some pimpin mane."

"Yaaah mane.......that's that shit MANE."

Last edited:
I. Dont. Give. A. F*CK. what another producer thinks about the "sample or compose" debate.

I sample cuz I like it and its fun.

Alot of the fun comes from chopping and rearranging to make it sound unrecognizable.

Give credit, where credit is due if/when you make money off your sampled music.

Too many people concerned with "making money" and about sharing the profit with the original composers of the sample ...that they forget that sampling is an artform.

[chime in composer rant here.... "but its stea...." ]

naaaaaaaaaaaaah... shuttup! :D

I'd be happy to make a sampled beat that becomes a CLASSIC where you'll be remembered in history, than loose out on a couple of bucks..

/opinion.

I don't know how people can call themselves "composers" with a straight face while knocking samplers yet lacking the ability to get a finalized sound of their own. I have no problem with people who make traclks from scratch that are full and properly arranged, but those guys aren't usually the ones knocking samplers. It's usually guys who make stuff that sounds like it came off a $99 keyboard.

I don't know how people can call themselves "composers" with a straight face while knocking samplers yet lacking the ability to get a finalized sound of their own. I have no problem with people who make traclks from scratch that are full and properly arranged, but those guys aren't usually the ones knocking samplers. It's usually guys who make stuff that sounds like it came off a $99 keyboard.
pretty much

When you have to find music to make music...

You're really just rearranging music. You can't even legally call it yours... smh.

I don't have to pay anybody to make "my" music.

People using 1986 techniques and swearing they "fresh"

GTFOH... to you scales are something you find on a fish.

Sampling is embarassing. I remember playing a sampled beat I made in a store back when I used to sample and my friends were telling me how good it sounded... in my head I felt guilty because my mind and conscience were telling me "You didn't really do anything but rearrange a song somebody else made..."

but I said THANKS and walked around with a lean like I had really come up with that keyboard playing and arrangement. The guilt drove me to stop sampling.

There is help for you.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

When you buy chicken from KFC... don't put it on a plate and tell people you fried it.

Last edited:
Back