How do you not get too cocky as a producer?

swiffy

How do you remain being humble when around doubters when you start making moves in music? I got a local artist placement, that's getting radio spins now. Nothing big at all. Some of the people who doubted me and put me down are now "supportive" all of a sudden. Some I haven't returned their calls. To be honest, I was kind of feeling myself. My mother brought me down to earth recently. Anyway, me being very quiet I think can come off as arrogant. It's not intentional at all. I'm just very quiet. I'm trying to improve being a DJ/Producer by being more social and humble and not get too cocky. Any advice as a producer? I'm very easy to work with and funny. It's the perception I see from people cuz I don't talk much at all lol. Once I get to know you I'm a clown. Thx

Get used to the words "kiss my ass". They will be your favorite. Because you can't please everybody.

Arrogance is good. But don't let arrogance turn into depression....because it easily turns into that.

I love being around arrogant people. I can't stand being around people who want you to follow behind them. "You need to get like me" types and actually be serious. Might catch a foot in the ass....involuntary ass kick muscle....can't help myself.

Last edited:
just don't be an ass on purpose and talk respectfully to people that matter to you or your career.

It's not about being arrogant. It is about being assertive at the right moments. Btw self-confidence and arrogance are not the same.

Theirs nothing wrong with knowing your good at something when you put the time in. You should be very happy that your music career is moving forward. However I think by staying humble get's you more respect. More respect get's you a much bigger fan base. At the end of the day that's what we all need to live off are music right

Arrogance is not always a bad thing sometimes that's all you need to make your presence. Me I'm not arrogant at all well at least not on the surface...In my head is probably a different story lol. Some of the most cocky ppl come from little to no support system and they strive for attention, or the ones who have a huge support system and think they are the center of attention.

I can say I get so many nodds and pats on the back from my approach...Just deliver the music and not your whole philosophy on it and who or what you can do better than. Also you cant make each and everyone like your stuff. One time I was real arrogant, but it always came to a point where I always noticed someone was actually better out there...now I look for people who are better and learn from them. I remember meeting one dude before and he said right away way like man I thought you were gonna be a d*ck...just cuz how my stuff sounded then refrained his opinion once we talked a bit.

I'm to laid back and confident to be overall arrogant though. Sometimes you get people who will say your music is trash and when you listen to theirs you can laugh about it. Just relax and have fun with it. How many cocky ppl came on this very forum looking to say they were just the best of the best and some random person comes out and puts a muzzle on them. With that said there's nothing wrong with a bit of arrogance in some scenarios it shows you are confident and believe in yourself.

it's not that hard... hear a producer who makes better tracks than you, or a dj who mixes better than you.. it's not that hard lol

Just remember that we all stand on many shoulders homie.

You didn't get here entirely on your own and neither did anybody else who made it to a prominent position in life that they are proud of. Every single one of us has encountered people who have inspired us, motivated us (whether their intentions were to positively affect us or negatively affect us), and pushed us to become better. Just don't forget where you came from and to think about how you can actively help others who were where you started. Like a fatherless father, you have the opportunity to provide to them what you wish you had (whether it be a helping hand, advice, and so on).

Also, we are all people who have made mistakes and who will make mistakes again. We can all benefit from the insight of one another - even the people who once doubted us. Stay open to constructive criticism and the opinions of others because you never know who is going to have the most positive impact on your life.

it's not that hard... hear a producer who makes better tracks than you, or a dj who mixes better than you.. it's not that hard lol

true enough. All it takes is to find me an awesome song that someone else made that I know at that moment I can't top and all of my cockiness is gone and I'm inspired again to improve

Wow. I try hard as hell not to be arrogant(still always seem to come off that way, so I'm sure I am). Surprised by some of the answers in this thread. Not disagreeing. I just always feel like I should shut up amongst mortals and watch my tongue until I get back to Asgard among others who can relate, lol.

I think anyone doing anything in life they love doing kinda has to go about things the same way. People just getting by don't understand what it means to accomplish a goal you've set, so they dissect it and make it seem meaningless. That can effect your momentum, it's better to just keep stuff to yourself.

When I was in L.A. everyone was doing something and knew somebody, so I carried myself different. Since being back in VA, I don't even save my contacts in my phone. Last time I went to change out phones the guys at the sprint store had a laugh at the names in my phone. He laughed at how silly it was for me to save numbers under celeb names, I laughed because they were the celebs actual numbers. That shyt never woulda happened in L.A.

I know that's an all over the place response, but basically, some are meant to excel and rise above in life. You'll never be in that crowd if you don't keep your nose in the air a little. You can be humble while knowing your place isn't amongst the bottom feeders.

No offense to the bottom feeders.

bro lmao why are you cocky even to begin with. You acting like you kanye west or something bruh. Fruity Loop warriors out here putting in work man this thread is a joke dude lawl.

Greetings earthlings!

Arrogance and cockiness to me are symptoms of someone who doesn't know how to handle a talent, skill or gift.

Humility combined with talent/gift/skill is the samurai who cuts down fast without words, the small bomb with a huge nuclear explosion, the dog who spends time more time eating than barking, etc...

Arrogance is the eventual threshold to true evolution, and a known, repetitive downfall factor of man. Whatever makes you feel better I guess.

Carrying arrogance with art smothers the art, showing that you value your own voice more than your art's.

Stay toasted my friends.

- TTT

How do you remain being humble when around doubters when you start making moves in music? I got a local artist placement, that's getting radio spins now. Nothing big at all. Some of the people who doubted me and put me down are now "supportive" all of a sudden. Some I haven't returned their calls. To be honest, I was kind of feeling myself. My mother brought me down to earth recently. Anyway, me being very quiet I think can come off as arrogant. It's not intentional at all. I'm just very quiet. I'm trying to improve being a DJ/Producer by being more social and humble and not get too cocky. Any advice as a producer? I'm very easy to work with and funny. It's the perception I see from people cuz I don't talk much at all lol. Once I get to know you I'm a clown. Thx

Just listen to your own music. One day you're gonna make a gay ass beat but you swear it goes hard as ****. Later on you run back to your pc and hear it and then all cockyness go to the garbage and now comes the onset of feeling like a shitty producer. :)

Back