How do you fight your writers block?

Mercy

Last night I was up tinkering with my toys and after 2 hours I came up dry. I went to my living room and layed on the couch discouraged at not having come up with ANYTHING worth keeping (IMO).

I went back to my studio to shut everything down and randomly dropped the tempo down (giving it one last shot) on some drums i had programmed an hour b4 and the whole swing and vibe changed into something i loved. I threw in some strings, effects and a bassline and it wound up being the hottest joint i made all week.

Had i not gone back in there after being discouraged that track would never have happended. I finished at around 1:40 a.m and had to be up at 7 to get to work but i was determined to do SOMETHING.

So my question is- how do you fight your writers block?

I usually just listen to the sounds in my library for a while. I would say 70% of the "completed" tracking I do is done on the spot, with no real concept when I sit down. Jam session stuff. Other than that, Ill play some Madden or College Football. Play some other music. Chill with a female or some of my boys. Any **** like that to just get something else going in my brain. Something usually ends up inspiring me before too long.

I dont.

When this happens, I research something about the industry.

I also noticed the more I learned about stuff that had nothing to do with music, somehow it seemed to take me deeper in production.

Last edited by a moderator:
When i get a block i just take a week off. Do something else creative, maybe focus on doing some graphics in Photoshop, or some web-design, read some books, and most importantly i think... GO OUT!! I find myself being sucked into this beatmaking frenzy and i end up making music like 24/7 and the inspiration just kinda drains out of me. So i just take a week out, go back into normal civilistaion and just have a laugh and get my head straight again.

SP

Sportscenter and Starwars movies or any movie for that matter. Maybe go outside and wash my truck or something.

Mercy said:
Last night I was up tinkering with my toys and after 2 hours I came up dry. I went to my living room and layed on the couch discouraged at not having come up with ANYTHING worth keeping (IMO).

I went back to my studio to shut everything down and randomly dropped the tempo down (giving it one last shot) on some drums i had programmed an hour b4 and the whole swing and vibe changed into something i loved. I threw in some strings, effects and a bassline and it wound up being the hottest joint i made all week.

Had i not gone back in there after being discouraged that track would never have happended. I finished at around 1:40 a.m and had to be up at 7 to get to work but i was determined to do SOMETHING.

So my question is- how do you fight your writers block?

thats the thing about writers block.. you dont fight it. you cant. all you can do is get your mind off the work for awhile. get your mind completly off it.. and listening to all kinds of music ranging from diff genre's might help get some ideas. its different for everyone though

ill really just smoke out, chill, maybe play some madden, and watch beat making videos, from amatuer to pro, usually gets me in the mood to do something

jbankz said:
marijuana is great for writers block

Damn, I came in here to post that. :D
Straight up though watching videos of other people doing what you do in their own style usualy gets you motivated.

dam, i just came back from like almost a month off, cause i wasn't inspired, so i know the feeling, i just listened to a lot of other types of music, and didn't even think about making music. when i was ready, i just came in and started bangin shyt out, two days in and i'm inspired again, just wrote a new song, finished an old song and made 3 good and 1 bangin beat. can't force it.

usually helps if i don't listen to any of my music for a couple days, too.

Last edited:
Simply, go do something with friends like hang out and go somewhere. Then boom an idea and situation develops, grab a pen and a napkin and write what you thinking.

Watch a ceiling fan go round, and try to catch that feeling off of an instrument. Grab your pencil, and + your paper, now your on that 86 route headed to Decatur. OutKast "Elevators"

Last edited:
i keep music outta my head for a couple dayz...and when i come back to the keys..ideas flow like crazy....on a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
kingace said:
Watch a ceiling fan go round, and try to catch that feeling off of an instrument. Grab your pencil, and + your paper, now your on that 86 route headed to Decatur. OutKast "Elevators"

^^^a classic

I'll do something to make myself laugh, like watch Martin, or the Simpsons. I may even get in a joke session with my roomate, usually when I get a real good laugh to when Im in tears, I've relieved all the stress from not being inspired and I feel rejuvenated (think I spelled that wrong) enough to get back to work.

Back