How to do that slidin westcoast synth bass sound?????

D

dabeatdoctor1989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesZUeRoDIA&feature=related

i been trying to do this type of bass forever ,please dont try to guess how to do it ,if you know excactly how to do it then please help me out cuz i know how to do alot of techniques but cant seem to get this one.......theres a video with an example......and yes its hip hop so it belongs.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm interested too, bump. sometimes basslines need that kind of special effect.

i can take a guess, but you said not to, lol. someone on here probably knows a better way.

it looks like the synth was programmed to do that imma try and do a lil sound design and see what i can come up with in reason..

Ganjafeet said:
i think it has little to do with the sound and more to do with how he is playing it
the thing is when he was playing the bass all that could be seen was his right hand(which was playing the notes) if you know the excact way to do it then let me know ,cuz even tho its the vid of him making the beat it still doesnt let me fully know how he did it.

Trenchant said:
yeah, try playing with the portamento amount on monophonic and just tap a lower note.
yea i tried that for the longest it just doesnt give it the same effect.....

Try..

Turning the bender range on yoour pitch wheel up to 24, and then play a note and sorta, pitch bend it down and almost straight away release the key. There's a little technique to it I tihink, but try that..

P.S
Make sure your bass is on mono and you got some slide on it

Pitch wheel. You can hold pitch bend down/up and ease off to get that nice slinky sound. It's just a technique that you'd use to spice up an already funky bass line. It won't make a wack bass line funky.
You won't be able to do it if your pitchbend is just an on/off trigger-you need a wheel. Just play around with it for a little bit till you get a feel for it. try playing Battlecat's bass line. you'll notice that you probably need to feel it to slide the wheel just right and keep it smooth.

^^^^thanks ,i was just about to post about it ,cuz i pulled it off from the previous comments and trial and error ,i set the pitch bend range to 24 and left the portamento off ,then i played the bass and slid the wheel down and at first it didnt come out as good then i practiced it and it started to come out better and compared it and it seems like i sucessfully got the technique down a bit.

The-Chronics89 said:
Try..

Turning the bender range on yoour pitch wheel up to 24, and then play a note and sorta, pitch bend it down and almost straight away release the key. There's a little technique to it I tihink, but try that..

P.S
Make sure your bass is on mono and you got some slide on it
this is pretty much it minus the slide.lol

thanks everyone ,i finally learned something on this site.lol

its all in how you program your LFO Do a delayed LFO iwth a sine wave at the end of your bass sample and play with it until it comes out right.

thats def a moog bass that comes from a roland juno or a prophet keyboard... you can either buy the arturia prophet plug in (since you cant download it for free lol arturia plug ins are very hard to come by)
the reason why it got that slide effect to it is because dude who is playing the keys is sliding his fingers down the keys while pitching the wheels...

its not an easy thing to do if you just started on the keys but if you've been fugging w/ the keys for a minute its no problem

I've read this thread, I've seen things about delayed LFOs (LOL), and some other nonsense.

It is simple. Portamento.

I think it has to do with the way he is playing it and/or a wheel.

In alot of the Underdogs tracks they use a lot of sliding basses in their songs.

umm heres something "GENERIC"(aka an example and nothing displaying my ability to make a beat) i put together with the sliding bass(pitch wheel range on 24 ,playing the bass sound and slowly moving the pitch wheel down)im laughing at how wack it is ,but whatever its just an example ,if i made a beat with the sound the whole thing would be 100 times better or it would not leave my harddrive.lol

Broken Friday said:
I've read this thread, I've seen things about delayed LFOs (LOL), and some other nonsense.

It is simple. Portamento.
the problem with ur portamento nonsense is that it only delays notes slightly after triggered an lfo can be set to start later during a sound using ADSR. look it up.

dabeatdoctor1989 said:
thanks i know it sounds extra generic but i just did it to show i got the technique down a bit ,if i make something good with the technique imma prolly throw it on my myspace..im glad learned how to do it thanks to some of the comments in this thread and a lil bit of trial and error ,imma practice it somemore to master it...
that sounds really close to what u r lookin for unless i missed something.

Last edited:
Win T-I-P said:
that sounds real good man!
thanks i know it sounds extra generic but i just did it to show i got the technique down a bit ,if i make something good with the technique imma prolly throw it on my myspace..im glad learned how to do it thanks to some of the comments in this thread and a lil bit of trial and error ,imma practice it somemore to master it...

Back