HipHop Music Vet Exposes these Online Twitter A&R Music Conferences Scams

Man, they sit there on Twitter giving out so called 'advice'.
That is how they lure people in. Then everyone kisses their behinds all day on every word they say.

But if you don't pay them stupid consultation fees
they quick to give you the verbal business, lol

---------- Post added 07-17-2012 at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-16-2012 at 06:17 PM ----------

Last edited:
a smart label wouldn't, it ruines the fame statusif you could talk to dr dre everyday on twitter and see his imperfections and personality you wouldn't see him as a star anymore
That comment isn't really relevant. Dr.Dre is clearly already a huge star, and has his own label, his actions are not going to be geared towards trying to gain an internet presence, because his presence is already massive.The dude I replied to was talking about what he should do in order to gain interest from a major label. People who are not already famous need to use all forms of internet to promote themselves. Major labels are more likely to sign someone with a large internet presense, than someone with none. C'mon man this is obvious sh*t lol.

Standard Operating Procedure.

That 1.5 Million was A LOAN. Loan money that he will NEVER see. It was to cover the expenses of creating and pushing his project. And believe, it will ALL be "spent" on his album.

He'll never recoup that, and he'll be in debt to the record label for the rest of his career. And we all know Puff doesn't just "let" people out of their contracts.

He's still got Mase under contract, and it took him 10 years to even give The Lox a break on their oppressive publishing deal, so they could even MAKE money from their music.

WELCOME TO THE NEW MUSIC INDUSTRY.

Yelawolf Not Happy With His Label Situation With Eminem & Interscope, Artists Not Needing A Major Label
[video]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhYoE73LdwB738er85[/video]

"You don't really f---in' need a label anymore; you don't need a major label, you don't need none of that sh-t," he argued. "If they're not absolutely working as a promotional company, as an engine to promote your music every single f---in' day. Because you're on it every day. Your management, your publicist, your team is on it every day. So when you sign a contract, you better be damn sure that they have obligations to work your sh-t."

They learning the hard way. The should have all just stayed independent, lol

Last edited:
As an illustrious member of our community once pointed out, Eminem signed Yellawolf to get him out of the way, so that he wouldn't be competition for him.

He's saying exactly what I been telling people for years. Now the most recent crop of artists are saying the EXACT SAME THING. But for some reason, artists keep signing to labels, thinking shit is gon be sweet, and seeing first hand what ACTUALLY goes on once you sign on the dotted line, and then they get disgruntled.

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE BUSINESS OF MUSIC BEFORE YOU SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE.

Yelawolf Not Happy With His Label Situation With Eminem & Interscope, Artists Not Needing A Major Label
[video]http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhYoE73LdwB738er85[/video]

"You don't really f---in' need a label anymore; you don't need a major label, you don't need none of that sh-t," he argued. "If they're not absolutely working as a promotional company, as an engine to promote your music every single f---in' day. Because you're on it every day. Your management, your publicist, your team is on it every day. So when you sign a contract, you better be damn sure that they have obligations to work your sh-t."

They learning the hard way. The should have all just stayed independent, lol

Eminem signed Yellawolf to get him out of the way, so that he wouldn't be competition for him.

Exactly. I totally agree with this statement.

Standard Operating Procedure.

That 1.5 Million was A LOAN. Loan money that he will NEVER see. It was to cover the expenses of creating and pushing his project. And believe, it will ALL be "spent" on his album.

He'll never recoup that, and he'll be in debt to the record label for the rest of his career. And we all know Puff doesn't just "let" people out of their contracts.

He's still got Mase under contract, and it took him 10 years to even give The Lox a break on their oppressive publishing deal, so they could even MAKE money from their music.

WELCOME TO THE NEW MUSIC INDUSTRY.

Troup, I wouldn't even call it a loan because that's giving the record label (Bad Boy in this case) too much credit. Its actually a fake budget used to show movement on the financial ledgers that is then added to Interscope's books which are then forwarded to UMG's top brass so they can forcast overall budget allocations for the next fiscal year.

So in reality its a CAP POTENTIAL of $1.5 million because the label is not obligated to spend the entire 1.5 on MGK, they just have to show on paper the probable intent to do so and if they do best believe Diddy, Jimmy and the rest of the gang done pocketed a significant portion themselves but still has MGK on the hook for the whole pie as far as recouping. His actual signing bonus was probably in the 60-90K range and that's before breaking off the lawyer, management and any other 3rd party discovery fees. If he got more than that its because he was willing to give up a bigger percentage of his tour/show and merch money which is where the real action is for 95% of all signed artists, especially the new ones that almost have a zero chance of selling any real album units

Last edited:
Its actually a fake budget used to show movement on the financial ledgers that is then added to Interscope's books which are then forwarded to UMG's top brass so they can forcast overall budget allocations for the next fiscal year.

So in reality its a CAP POTENTIAL of $1.5 million because the label is not obligated to spend the entire 1.5 on MGK, they just have to show on paper the probable intent to do so and if they do best believe Diddy, Jimmy and the rest of the gang done pocketed a significant portion themselves but still has MGK on the hook for the whole pie as far as recouping. His actual signing bonus was probably in the 60-90K range and that's before breaking off the lawyer, management and any other 3rd party discovery fees.

Music Industry Gold Right Here, of course aint nobody gonna care.

---------- Post added 07-22-2012 at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-21-2012 at 06:50 AM ----------
Curren$y on the rap game: 'A lot of it you can do yourself'

Survivor is one of the few words one could use to describe New Orleans rapper Curren$y. With a over a decade in the business, grappling with flawed record deals that would discourage most emcees, Spitta has thrived.
Originally affiliated with Master P’s No Limit Camp as a teen, he then moved to the rival camp Cash Money/Young Money. Along with Lil Wayne, Curren$y began to develop his following as he was featured on numerous Weezy projects which culminated to his first single “Where Da Cash At?”. After some creative differences with Weezy and Birdman, Curren$y left Cash Money to pursue a solo career in 2007.

[video]http://thegrio.com/2012/07/20/curreny-on-the-rap-game-a-lot-of-it-you-can-do-yourself/#48248963[/video] ----- VIDEO

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Chief Keef's Interscope Records: The Real Gangsters of Gangsta

Gangsters like Iovine and Warner Music Group’s Lyor Cohen are rarely mentioned or talked about. They have been pushing raps buttons for over twenty years and have gone almost unnoticed.

It’s one thing for the kid to make his bad music and it stays secluded just to Chicago. No one can stop someone from making music, but it wouldn’t go too far with out Iovine’s marketing/media money and power. Because there’s absolutely nothing special or star quality about Chief Keef. Now it’s going all over the country and Iovine’s continuing to pollute the black community.

When Interscope signed Keef, Iovine probably never even came down for the meeting. That’s because Iovine knows the boy is going to fail and be broke within a year. He didn’t want to waste his time. Jimmy has the power and pushed the button to sign him because he knows he can make money off of the kid’s newfound attention.

“They was talkin’ good to me,” he said of Interscope to MTV News. “I agreed to what they was talkin’ about. They was talkin’ like I was talkin’ and I liked that. All these other labels, I was talkin’ to ‘em, but it’s time anyway for me and I’m goin’ with Interscope.”

He can’t even form a complete sentence. Probably didn’t even read his contract.
But don’t expect urban youth’s most influential; Kanye, Diddy, Wayne, Baby or Jay-Z to rally or speak up against the culture killers like this because they are all too ready to collect big dirty corporate checks. Don’t expect sites like Russell Simmon’s Global Grind, or so called music journalists (radio, print or television) to point fingers at this mess because they too have exchanged freedom of speech for pay checks and perks.

The truth is that the same excuse these niggas are using is getting too old and just doesn’t add up. Short money is the mantra of Hip Hop. One hit wonders with a select chosen few that reach deep pocket status and influence stay at the top, but remain silent on issues that really matter. If you don’t buck the system the system keeps your palms greased.

Russell Simmons and rap critics will say that Hip Hop is merely art. And the violent portrayals and messages that are pumped into impressionable young brains have no affect. I say it’s all bullshit. The millions of dollars of advertising money that book end hellacious hip radio sets nationwide are there because they sell their product and image.

Gangsta Hip Hop is no different. So the next time you hear or see another gangsta-*****-I’ma-kill-you anthem, it’s not a black, juvenile offender like Chief Keef – because he has no power in this country – remember that the real gangsters who truly profit are wealthy corporate executives named Jimmy Iovine and Lyor Cohen.

Chief Keef’s Interscope Records: The Real Gangsters of Gangsta Rap | RapRehab

Last edited:
A good line I found on Twitter just now....

Folk the Facilitator ‏@DJFolk

dont get caught in the allure , propaganda and hype on twitter from niggas in the biz... if u really knew ...u would feel hoodwinked

People are starting to catch on to them, it be a matter of time before it comes to everyones attention, then watch them disappear like the sun does when night fall comes.

---------- Post added 07-26-2012 at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-23-2012 at 04:30 PM ----------

Submit your music > HYPE Artist Showcase only $10 & win $1,000 cash, an EP+Marketing deal & a FREE trip to Miami 4 the finals!! SMDH

Whoever falls for this mess needs there ass whipped. Its 2012, but some things never change.

Last edited:
That cat Fat Tommi spoke some real jewels there. He put all this into real perspective. On the real though, if you doing that many website visits, facebook is maxed out on friends, twitter is blown up.......youtube videos going viral...do you really need a deal? Probably just need marketing and a budget. Food for thought.

That cat Fat Tommi spoke some real jewels there. He put all this into real perspective. On the real though, if you doing that many website visits, facebook is maxed out on friends, twitter is blown up.......youtube videos going viral...do you really need a deal? Probably just need marketing and a budget. Food for thought.

If you are 18 and just starting ,Credit is your friend if you use it right. (Dont go over board)
Hold down a job for a good year,Build up your credit (700 SCORE & UP) ,Get a good credit line going and you can fund yourself.

Seen it done plenty of time, not just for music but for other businesses as well.

Last edited:
If you are 18 and just starting ,Credit is your friend if you use it right. (Dont go over board)

Hold down a job for a good year,Build up your credit (700 SCORE & UP) ,Get a good credit line going and you can fund yourself.

Seen it done plenty of time, not just for music but for other businesses as well

I feel ya playa. The statement was more of a conversation piece than a real question. I am in my 30s by the way, so I definitely am a little more mature than some who are just starting out. At the same time, i do this as a hobby now, but used to play in church, etc. My point was just that if you have that much fan-base already, then one probably doesn't really need the label because you are getting picked up with a built in fan-base. If I was a regional act and making some paper already and doing shows, i don't need a major to come pick me up and start taking a hefty chunk of my loot.

I feel like there's a lot of anti-label sentiment these days (for good reason), but I feel the ideal way to go would be to get on a major label for at least two albums because, as of today, no one has gone platinum without that. Assuming you break-even money-wise (you move 10x more units, but the label takes a large cut), you now have widespread recognition which is going to help you remain way more successful if and when you decide to go it alone.

The record company job is get all they can from artists. The only way you can get that(2) album deal, is if you are coming with credits already on you side. Something to bargain with.

Here is the old played out way of getting in the game, but the gulluable will fall for it.

https://twitter.com/BiffTannen24/status/203176878268354561/photo/1/large

When you hot, they come for you. Not the other way around. Be prepared to waste of lot of time/money trying to follow that crap in the link above.

---------- Post added 08-01-2012 at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-29-2012 at 06:24 AM ----------

You know its bad when you start seeing known rappers do this online...

Mistah F.A.B ‏@MistahFAB
Verse for 500 Hooks for 250 I'm just working Creating business an adding others in there U wana get me on a song lets. Teak GRIND KING

What that you say about hiphop's value not being sold out?

Last edited:
My theory has always been that some of the decline in album sales and such was due to greedy industry. When music was going strong, cats were coming with double cd's left and right. Then some even raised the ante and came with triple cd's. In the meanwhile, singles were phased out and you had to buy a double cd, or triple at times just to get the song you wanted. I believe that a lot of those CD's could have been condensed into single CD's that just went hard from start to finish instead of 2 CD's with 3-4 good songs on each and a lot of skits and filler.

Fast forward a few years and digital downloads hit the scene and from there it was a wrap. The consumer took advantage and the labels suffered. I believe that the labels and artists got greedy and put out cd's that milked the customers pockets knowing it wasn't there best. Just a bunch of random songs that did not tie in. When doggystyle was released, or the chronic....they had themes and the skits were meaningful transitions. The album flowed. Now we don't often have albums, we have a collection of tracks, some good, and some bad....

My theory has always been that some of the decline in album sales and such was due to greedy industry. When music was going strong, cats were coming with double cd's left and right. Then some even raised the ante and came with triple cd's. In the meanwhile, singles were phased out and you had to buy a double cd, or triple at times just to get the song you wanted. I believe that a lot of those CD's could have been condensed into single CD's that just went hard from start to finish instead of 2 CD's with 3-4 good songs on each and a lot of skits and filler.

Fast forward a few years and digital downloads hit the scene and from there it was a wrap. The consumer took advantage and the labels suffered. I believe that the labels and artists got greedy and put out cd's that milked the customers pockets knowing it wasn't there best. Just a bunch of random songs that did not tie in. When doggystyle was released, or the chronic....they had themes and the skits were meaningful transitions. The album flowed. Now we don't often have albums, we have a collection of tracks, some good, and some bad....

Here is a quote from the homie...

Paul Porter ‏@
IndustryEars

9 out of 10, A&R's can barely sign their name, let alone sign you.
Remember the model change, it's 2012 not 1996.
#brainfood

Last edited:
Back