Hip Hop and Sports... what's the link?

B

biggrome

I'm watching some boxing now on EPSN... both fighters entrance music is Hip Hop...

Are they trying to say they're dangerous, from the streets, in tune... what?

Oh, one dudes music is in a language I can't understand... but the beat is crackin'.

Are the sports (not basketball and football) and Hip Hop worlds becoming intertwined...

The announcer isn't speaking English either.... lol....... okay, now he is. Maybe he was showing off...

I've seen this happening for a while, Hip Hop is good for theme music for the same purposes that you have written rome. I still see Metal and Hard Energy (Dance) Pop up as theme music, anything "hard" so to speak seems to be popular.

Boxing, UFC, Basketball, Football and Ice Hockey are the sports that I have noticed to align themselves with certain Genres of music.

If you get the chance watch some Aussie Rules Footy and have a laugh at every clubs traditional theme music. I never have and will understand why they choose crappy theme songs!

Hip Hop is influential, its all over commercials and in people's lives, including athletes. So they're using it to express themselves as they enter the ring.
You hear it during basketball games too, its been a common way to connect to what the mainstream public for a long while now. 80's rock used to be the means in doing so, but this era its hip hop/rap. pretty obvious really.

for boxing especially, mike tyson is a big port of call. you can name any artist and i'm sure he would of had a word about mike.

mid to late 80's when hiphop was goldening, and mike was on the rise so there is a link.
he is also the embodiment of the ghettoed, empoverished black brooklyner, he is dangerous and gets the job done, who has to fight to get to the top. very clear lineal power subjects like tony montana for example.

a big chapter of nelson george's hiphop america is about sports. and boxing and of course mike in perticular.

but why some boxers come out to hiphop is just beats man. arthur abraham came out to the smurfs against ikeke and brian nielson came out to "always look on the brigth side of life" when he fought tyson. lennox was ripping all the funk and reggae you could muster.

Back