Are Hip Hop Mixtapes Losing Their Effectiveness?

While we are on the topic of mixtapes, I must say Drakes "So Far Gone" exerts feces on some major rappers albums.
It could've been an album itself.

I hate it when DJ Unkown Basement Dude puts out a mixtape with Wayne on the cover.
There are way too many Weezy mixtapes out.
Get outta here with that **** and make your own music.

Drake, CuDi & Big Sean's mixtape are the ones I'm feelin right now.
Didn't check out Wale's, but it's probably sick.

i remember those old DJ Clue mixtapes....those were FIRE.....iono what happened to the mixtape scene but i think i kinda fell off....maybe im just not paying enough attention to them....

i remember those old DJ Clue mixtapes....those were FIRE.....iono what happened to the mixtape scene but i think i kinda fell off....maybe im just not paying enough attention to them....

You have to swim through the sea of bull**** to find good mixtapes these days.
Thank God for DatPiff.

The line between mixtapes and street albums has been blurred. The mixtape game is too flooded to be fully effective for anyone but established artists unless you are a new artist that can get a big name DJ like Green Lantern or Drama or Big Mike to host it or for some big named artist to come across and cosign your joint then you might have a chance.

Every time I go to a music there are a million and one people pushing mixtapes. People have mixtape fatigue. Another mistake is that a lot of indie/unsigned artists try to sell their mixtapes. Why would people pay to hear an unknown when a lot of established artists are giving them away for free. Busta gave two away in the past week, Drake, Royce and a bunch of others.

Back