Is Hip Hop Getting dumber or is it the fans?

jahzrealbeatz

Real Beatz Inc.
When did hip hop go wrong?
Is it because of the consumers of music, or is it the creators.
It seems like any rapper with good marketing suddenly has the greatest music.
Have a look at this video, it sounds legit..

Its the fans. There are basically no standards. The internet made this shit the wild wild west. So anything goes and if you say something about it, you're a hater, you're old, or you're just not "cool enough" to understand. Lol what' s cool to you, may be corny as fiiduck to me, but it doesnt matter, everyone has a voice and in alot of instances the majority rules.

Hip Hop (Commercially) is getting dumber. It happens with any genre of Music that becomes popular and corporate America get;s involved. You just need to search and you will find quality artist.

Human nature dictates what becomes popular....that goes for that Illuminati shit too.

An overwhelming majority of people don't want to hear some intelligent shit, they want to live vicariously through someone else talking about how awesome it is to be them....."I got the money and the girls, now watch me ride of into the sunset in a car you wish you could own." so that kind of shit just naturally rises to the top.

Mainstream hip hop is definitely being controlled to influence the younger generations. It has been well documented and researched by people like Professor Griff and others.

Mainstream hip hop is definitely being controlled to influence the younger generations. It has been well documented and researched by people like Professor Griff and others.

Nope, it's all just about whatever naturally appeals to human nature, that goes for Professor Griff and his beliefs too. For example Griff obviously found the idea of ethnocentrism appealing and so do a lot of the people who listen to his music, I mean here we have a concept which appeals to a very negative aspect of human nature, irrational bias, yet it's not like Griff sat down and said "I think I can control people with this negative shit" because he is just as much a victim of his own negative human nature as those he is having influence upon.....such things do not require any secretive committee to draft up a well thought out conspiracy....shit just happens because it's a part of human nature.

uhhh...Griff is not exactly what I would call a reliable source. Don't get me wrong I have respect for the man but he most definitley is agenda driven and will do anything to forward that agenda including misrepresentation of data or completely ignoring it.

I think this has been a steady decline due to the hustle mentality and going for the fastest dollar with the least amount of effort. Listeners too are lazy which is why the albums sell so it becomes a mutual agreement that the artist puts out mediocre tracks as long as people will buy it en masse

this is long.

well most music is a reflection of the culture at large. so just think of what's going on right now. in something like hip hop, its a lot of competition which leads to ego and bravado, all that. we have a generation of young folks who grew up with no real guidance (think kids that were growin up in the 70s early 80s babies) who produced and created music that reflected their times.

jackie wilson, james brown, jimi hendrix beget michael jackson funkadelic,prince. (think of the time period, war, civil rights, hippies)

nwa, dmc, luke, beget the dogg pound, wu tang, lil jon or the hot boys (crack, mtv, jordans)

jay, eminem, kanye beget drake, kendrick, jeezy(social media, designer, auto tune)

people haven't gotten dumber, its still pretty much the same. its a war between style and substance. the hip hop audience tends to equate that with having the most money, drivin the nicest car, and gettin the most girls (as referred to by one of the posters above). and that's fine. but hip hop is still an art form. yet business has been taking precedence over the actual art itself.

money -> power-> respect.

it seems like when no one cared about hip hop, and thought it was just a phase that, respect came from your power to (move the crowd) ask bambaataa, which would eventually lead to making money.

whereas in a business over money situation you make money, so you can have power to buy respect.

money and power is the essence of politics. its a fact that 90% of elections that occur in our country are won by the person who spends more money. if you knew the returns you'd get on investing to get a hit onto the radio, how much would you spend if you knew it was going to get played three times an hour, on the hour every hour, all over the country, for a couple of month period?

it used to be could you actually ball and play ball? now its about how much you spent on your designer shoes/j's.

michael jackson ='s best baller that has the j's to go along with it.
kanye is probably the closest thing hip hop has had in recent years to having someone with a crazy budget that really put it into the music. where it's been a business, but the art still came first. the quality of the art created a lane for itself.

assuming he's making the beats and writing the raps. it seems to be a trend, as you make more money to actually do less art.

its the same reason why i have more respect for professional athletes these days. because at least i get to see them actually dunk the basketball, score the touchdowns, hit the homeruns, score the goals.

i wanna see the players make plays, donald sterling may own the team, but i don't watch the games to see him. i want to see blake griffin and deandre jordan catch the assist from chris paul. i think it'd be kinda dumb for donald sterling to take credit for the oop, or claimin he dunked it. i think that would be dumb to support that.

i wanna know who's really doin what and how much? but that's just me. so have fans gotten dumber? not really. they probably just aren't paying much attention because they're too busy lookin down on their smartphones updating their twitters and instagrams to really care.

and should they? they're the audience, they just wanna hear music. however the donald sterlings (owners, labelheads) get to decide who hears what, and what gets played. how would they know the radio isn't good as it could be if they've never known any better?

This argument is subjective as hell. If you actually look at it objectively then you wouldn't even concern yourself with what you feel is dumb music and listen to what you want to hear. Because last time I checked there are quite a few gems in hip hop.

Example: Big Krit King Remembered In Time.

Peer pressure.

If no one makes conscious music the chance of somebody new doing so is low.

Artists don't hold themselves to the standard of making unique, beautiful, touching music. They would rather recycle what's popular and rap in the same fashion the guys on top do. Now if the guys on top are inadequate for a culture as rich and powerful as Hip-Hop we have a problem.

I actually caught myself doing this too. Back in the day when I only listened to Pac and people like him I saw myself making political music that means something. But since I've been listening to drill music more and more I picture myself toting guns and talking about trap houses and cocaine. Shit is stupid.

Hip-Hop is worth so much more than what it's currently offering. It's a culture with so much potential and greatness within, it's sad to see it like this.

And maybe old school hip-hop is just a thing of the past, something you can reminisce on and tell your kids about.

I remember barbeques in summer, the whole neighbourhood chillin together and music like this playing.

I enjoy those memories and even though I wish it was different I can still enjoy some of today's music.

I think what is going to make a difference in the future is the same thing which made hip-hop great in the past, men of great character with ambition taking over and teaching everybody else how it's done. That's what creates the magic I feel. It's like a group of depressed people sitting in a room, talking about the weather, then suddenly a Steve Jobs enters and talks about his vision of changing the world and you see his will and the fire in his eyes and you yourself feel again that power within you to dream and strive for something bigger. This is what Pac did for me, though so many years after his death many people look to the Guccis and Futures and this is what shapes their minds right now. So for me I just enjoy the memories and relicts of the past, move with the music the way it is right now while keeping my mind on the potential of Hip-Hop. This too allows me to cope well when Hip-Hop sometimes seems like it's dead.

When was there ever a time in mainstream hip hop where deep conscious rhymes were the norm? Every since I could remember the pop mainstream aspect of hip hop has always been about partying and having a good time.

There's no shortage of lyrical or conscious hip hop. It's just that you guys need to cut off the radio and find the music you like.

nah........it's just this era of googladroids who feel more of a right to shit on what they don't like (which is everything) than to be a part of the smaller social crowd that loves the same kind of music they do. Ask me....that's 10 times worse than people hustling music. Because what you actually like could be popular.....OH...MY BAD....then you would hate it. Sorry pal....lose/lose for you.

When was there ever a time in mainstream hip hop where deep conscious rhymes were the norm? Every since I could remember the pop mainstream aspect of hip hop has always been about partying and having a good time.

There's no shortage of lyrical or conscious hip hop. It's just that you guys need to cut off the radio and find the music you like.
If I said it once I said it a thousand times. Its really shocking that people that are suppose to know music seem to only listen to one style or what's only on the radio.

don't even believe all of that. when i was in middle school the radio (the beat Power 106) played "The Light" by Common, Nas "If I Ruled the World" damn near Lauryn Hill's whole Miseducation, "Doo Wop" Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" Nelly "Country Grammar" OutKast had "Rosa Parks" Dre, Snoop, Xzibit Nate Dogg had "B*tch Please" Jay-Z had "Can I Get A" Missy Elliot had "Hot Boys" DMX had "Ruff Ryders Anthem" and the Hot Boys had "Back that Thang Up."

are all those songs conscious, uplifting and with a message? hell naw. but at least you were hearing different perspectives, different sounds and different flavors from different regions. but artists really had identities and personalities. and this was across the board in all genres.

but swag has taken over. and part of it is because of the actual word swag itself. you can't help but smile when you say swag, it's easy to say. it rolls off the tongue, your swag actually slightly increases when you say it. (next time you're alone and not thinking about it try it out for yourself. i'm really not trying to be funny about that.) it's slightly vague and it can be applied to numerous situations. it's almost a way of life within itself. but part of swag is about making it look easy or effortless. the idea of not really trying in order to have that "it." whatever "it" is, can be best explained through swag.

its like streamlined appeal through style. style is good. everyone's got their own style, but what about an actual identity? you can buy swag (that's money/business) but you can't buy "identity." swag/style is necessary, but if you pay attention to the people i mentioned in the first paragraph, then you'd realize they all have identities. if you'd never seen any of their videos, or knew how many records they sold, you'd still be left with the art itself.

business dictates that if a product sells, you want to figure out what it is that makes it sell, analyze that and break it down so you can emulate it and sell something similar. success breeds imitation, but most successes don't instantly start out that way, and have to step out in fear of being alone or alienated.

for ten years now (trap or die dropped my senior of high school.) and the "trap sound" along with the "euro pop/edm" has dominated the radio. the club/stripper scene is cool, and raves and festivals are nice, but we're long overdue for house parties and cook outs.

I never listen to the radio, I'm located in Thailand so it helps to cut me off from that. Theres a few blogs I use to discover new music(TheFindMagazine - check it out) and bandcamp etc to find music - and as was said above, there is a lot of intelligent hiphop being produced, the underground seems pretty vibrant and I 've been hearing a lot of good music.
As was also said before, If you are really into music, go out and find it, turn off that dial.

Last edited:
Back